University of Illinois Urbana Champaign Class of 2027 Official Thread

Accepted for business.

1 Like

Accepted! CS + Linguistics

2 Likes

DD accepted: CS + Statistics (OOS)

1 Like

DS was deferred in EA, waitlisted RD for CS

D23 accepted to Information Science + Data Science. Any feedback on how it compares to CS, from career prospects? Thanks

3 Likes

Congratulations! Stats pls

Congrats. Is transfer from one CS+X to another CS+X allowed?

OOS. Deferred in EA, Waitlisted in RD. This was #1 for me, not for the kid though. She is moving on.

Good Luck to all of you!

My daughter researched this before and she said it’s possible to change to another CS plus X once you are in a CS plus X program.

1 Like

Daughter deferred in EA waitlisted in RD. June 1st is too long a wait to know the waitlist result.

Would anyone have data on the chances of Waitlist admit? Any pointers would be a great help.

Accepted into MATERIALS SCIENCE and ENGINEERING
ACADEMIC STATS::
Unweighted GPA: 3.95
Weighted GPA: 4.50
Number of UC Approved AP/Honors courses: 10
AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses):
Accelerated Algebra 2/Trigonometry and PreCalculus
Chemistry in the Earth Systems Honors
AP Euro - 4
AP Calc BC - 5
AP Chemistry - 5
AP Comp Sci Principle - 4
AP Spanish - 4
AP Statistics (12th Grade)
AP Physics 1 (12th Grade)
AP English Lit (12th Grade)
MATH-1C

DEMOGRAPHICS:: out of state, Female
State/location of HS: Fremont,CA
Applied for need-based financial aid? No
First Generation? No

3 Likes

The Common Data set for Fall 2021 (the most recent available) said no one was admitted off the waitlist that year. The FAQ for the waitlist says some years they make hundreds of offers from the waitlist and other years they make zero. Just depends on who decides to accept and what holes they need to fill in their class.

I just realized that it is not a CS + X program which are listed here.

DD got offer into BS: Statistics + CS

I believe it is a naming difference only. Math & CS and Stats & CS plus 7 of the CS+X programs are all adminstered by the College of LAS (Letters & Sciences)–see FAQ on CS + X majors | College of Liberal Arts & Sciences at Illinois

The remaining 5 CS+X programs are hosted by 4 other colleges as listed on the website you linked.

When the UIUC community refers to CS+X majors, it is understood to include the Math+CS and Stat+CS combinations. All are BS degrees, no matter what the X is. Transferring into or between any of these programs is possible but highly competitive and may not be easy, unlike transferring into pure CS, which is closed to all transfers from any other major.

This Quora Q&A written by a CS Professor at UIUC should answer many questions about the CS+X programs https://www.quora.com/How-do-CS-programs-at-UIUC-compare-to-the-CS-in-the-engineering-program

1 Like

Can anyone throw some insight on Golder freshman initiative program @ Gies Business school, how good of the program is and advantage of being into that program?

Thank you

Is it safe to say Waitlist is really not an option and we need to move on from UIUC? Thoughts?

A waitlist is a rejction, a hedge for the school just in case.

That’s not to say one shouldn’t stay on the wait list and provide what the school asks.

But immediately after, the student should mentally disconnect from that school, and choose anohter - yes!!

If you get a surprise in the email in May-July and decide to revisit, then you can - but most will have fallen in like/love with their new school by then.

But yes - let it go.

6 Likes

After getting admitted to Engineering, my son In-state wants to Accept in the Portal, so he could proceed with the next steps. I am worried to go ahead since he didn’t get the financial aid package yet. Does anyone know if accepting before the aid package is provided could lower his aid amount later. Should we accept or just be patient and wait? Any thoughts? Thanks all!

1 Like

It won’t. But if you have worry, wait. You have 55 more days.

I say that as long as something like housing is not impacted.