University of Illinois Urbana Champaign Class of 2027 Official Thread

If you choose CS as first major then you are not allowed to choose second major related to CS, so at that time I just chose CS. Now I am appealing with CS+Math, though I have slight chance as CS+Math is equally competitive but I still wish to try my luck. I am from WA and UW Seattle is my first choice. I have some other acceptances in hand too.

I agree, but other T20 has to accept me in CS in that case. Waiting for results. Where Can I find the list of T20 univ in CS ?

In-State UW CS chances are pretty good for you compared to OOS UIUC CS. You should know within the next 30hrs anyway, so just wait it out.

No ranking list can be the right one. Folks will suggest USNews, CollegeFactual, Niche etc but I would focus on Grad School rankings if you are looking for major specific list as it is hard to properly quantify anyone’s Undergrad experience.

Amherst, UMDCP, Purdue might be the (possibly) surprising ones in T20 CS and is a little bit easier to get in than UIUC OOS CS.

1 Like

Did not apply to Amherst and UMDCP, but have applied to Purdue RD.

I may be wrong but that you did not apply to a second major does not give you a reason to appeal.

If you could not apply to CS then they are saying the second should have been polo Sci or English or business etc

I don’t see how this will get reviewed.

For your sake I hope I’m wrong.

That you chose not to add a second reason is your error - not a change of circumstance.

Purdue RD will likely not happen. You need to apply EA there.

What other options do you have.

Good luck.

1 Like

They have the courses for each of these CS+X programs on their website. You should check them out. Unless you are really sure you want to major in X, it’s best not to. A lot of folks are using this as a backdoor to the CS program but I do feel it’s not the right approach.

2 Likes

ASU, Oregon State, WSU and UW Bothell

1 Like

Where are you inclined to go?

Don’t know anything about the Bothell campus - but the first three, all very solid.

1 Like

UW Bothell as of now due to cost close to home and UW degree, just from a different campus.

Yes.

Got into UC Davis too. So that is my top choice as of now. UW Seattle waitlisted for CS, admitted to pre sciences.

1 Like

So UC Davis cost what - $70K and UW Bothell - $25K or so with R&B.

Can you afford UCD? If not, why not WSU where you are in and in-state.

Or ASU with merit.

My god - it’s CS - they’ll all get you to the same place. Why spend big - unless you can afford it.

2 Likes

What if we can afford it. Wish to Choose UCD due as it being close to Bay Area with lot of opportunities.

1 Like

If you can afford it, then it’s your families money. Go ahead.

I think you are likely over stating the opportunities at UCD bs the others - my opinion.

And UCD is not exactly close.

Anyone who has appealed heard from UIUC ?

Yesterday, My DS got an updated financial Aid notification. Now his finAid shows “Reported Engineering Coll Sch” under grants/scholarship for a total of 10K. Is this scholarship renewable every year?

Congrats! its exciting.
My student who likes many subjects, is undecided about what major and applied as undecided.
At UIUC, how easy or difficult it is to get accepted these programs:
Environmental program, Engineering, liberal arts.

Any words of wisdom?
TIA

1 Like

Engineering would be pretty difficult to transfer into, depending on the type of engineering. CS is in the school of Engineering and transferring into that is not allowed. The other Engineering disciplines would be technically possible, but still difficult. The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is big with lots of different majors, ranging from Chemical Engineering to Math to Religion to Slavic Studies and on and on. So it is difficult to specifically answer your very generalized question.

1 Like

@momofthree24, I’m a bit confused.
If a students starts at UIUC with no specific major then how the students get a major if it too difficult?
or it become a 2 year college experience if it’s too hard to get into a specific major?

TIA