University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

This thread is for all early action applicants to The University of Maryland - College Park.

The Early Action (EA) deadline for Fall 2023 admissions is November 1, 2022 and applicants should receive an admissions decision by January 31, 2023.

See updates and discuss results with other UMD applicants.

Are you planning to apply early to UMD? Why UMD? What questions do you have about applying early? Comment in the thread below.

To discuss other UMD topics visit the university-of-maryland-college-park tag on CC Forums

2 Likes

Just a note for perspective students applying. UMD chooses the vast majority of it’s incoming class from the early action applications. Also merit aid and scholarships, etc, are awarded to early action applicants. There is absolutely no reason to wait to apply during regular decision. The regular decision spots are much harder to get into. Do not wait until regular decision if you are applying to UMD.

“The Class of 2024 saw 59% of EA applicants accepted and just 18% of Regular Decision applicants achieving the same positive result. A stunning 94% of the incoming class was accepted via Early Action. The overall acceptance rate for that cohort was 49%.”

6 Likes

And that’s basically true of every state school EA…

Yes, for honors and scholarships. But UMD fills over 90% of its incoming class through EA so that makes it even more critical vs some other schools (where you may lose out on honors/scholarships but still gain admission).

1 Like

I can’t seem to find any supplemental essays on the website. Does anyone know if there are any? In addition to the common app essay I mean?

Yes there are usually 5 short responses questions (answer in 160 characters or less).

Since they’re not currently listed on the UMD website it’s possible they no longer require them. Or they may simply have not updated their website with the latest questions yet (many schools aren’t ready with their applications until late August).

—————

For reference, these were last year’s supplemental questions (all require responses of less than 160 characters).

• If I could travel anywhere, I would go to…

• The most interesting fact I ever learned from research was…

• In addition to my major, my academic interests include…

• My favorite thing about last Tuesday was…

• Something you might not know about me is…

1 Like

UMD posted the following statement on Facebook this morning

" Ready…Set…Go! UMD’s Fall 2023 freshman application is now live. Get started by visiting: go.umd.edu/Apply. Remember to apply by the Nov. 1 early action deadline for priority consideration for admission, merit-based scholarships and invitations to special programs. Come #BeATerp with us!"

3 Likes

Good Luck to all the New Terps who will be moving in tomorrow.

For all those who want to join them next Fall, make sure that your Application and all associated material is submitted by Nov. 1

2 Likes

Class of 2027 UMD Parents of Hopefuls:
Please feel to join the prospective parent group so you can ask your questions and get answers from experiences parents who are there to help. Make sure you mention CC2027 in the question about where you heard about the group.

2 Likes

Campus tour options and dates…

https://admissions.umd.edu/visit/daily-visits

6 Likes

A couple of things about UMD that people may not be aware of…

1. All dining plans provide unlimited dining. That is, students can visit as many times in the day as they wish - it’s not based on swipes.

2. Laundry is free and unlimited.

9 Likes

Almost ready to hit “submit” then hit a bump with the Resume option via Common App.
(BTW for the poster who asked about supplemental questions, they are on the Common App)

Any insight into whether we need to create a resume so as not to leave any section blank? Seems like a lot to ask of a 17yo …

That appears to be a new option.
I think it’s fine to not upload a resume if you don’t have one.

Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

I don’t think a Resume is anything new at UMD. My D submitted one back when she applied in 2013. If you have something meaningful to list, it could help.

1 Like

Interesting UMD trivia :grinning:

The only American football game the queen attended was at College Park.

6 Likes

anyone is thinking to do test optional?

That is handy. Thanks!

I see they don’t have weekends open for in-person tours, so I guess that means it is virtual for us!

Thankfully, we already know a lot about this school.

1 Like

Does anyone know where we could find a student profile for the Honors College?

And do the student transcript and recommendation letters need to arrive by November 1 as well?

Application is submitted.

Yes, UMD expects the application file to be complete by Nov 1 else they’ll move the application to RD. So do get the school to submit the transcript and LOR by then.

3 Likes