University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

Thanks for posting this. We had heard that they may have uploaded in batches and the entire MCPS contingent received their decisions around 7pm either last year or the year prior.

2 Likes

yes, it definitely seemed they released in batches. It was hard to find an exact pattern. And then everyone was jamming the portal at the same time, so even if you were in an early batch, you might not get to see it right away

1 Like

One more thing: please prepare yourself to see admissions/rejections that do not seem to make sense. I was astounded at who got in and didn’t get in among my son’s friends, and then when scholarship info came out (a few weeks later), that was even more confusing. UMD is NOT generous with scholarships at all, and they WILL admit some people with lower scores over higher scores in certain holistic decisions they make. Furthermore, you may get into Honors, Scholars, etc and not get ANY scholarship, and you may also NOT get into your desired major/special program and STILL get a scholarship. It was definitely a bit of a mind game!! Good luck to all!!

11 Likes

I am finding that with many schools, I would love to be a fly on the wall at these schools to see how admission decisions are really made.

4 Likes

I guess the old adage applies - “they do it because they can.” The truth is that many of these popular schools are getting such a ridiculous number of applicants now that they really can decide things any way they want
 definitely frustrating for the applicants though
who just want to know the “why?”

1 Like

It’s this TO climate- requiring tests again would prob dampen this effect.

6 Likes

UMD has seen a record increase in applications the last couple of years, with OOS applications now exceeding in-state. That makes admission decisions harder to predict.

And the acceptance rate for direct admit into CS (a highly ranked and very popular major, esp for OOS) was in the low 20%s last year, based on what I heard.

4 Likes

Do we find out about honors/scholars with our initial decision, or with scholarship info?

1 Like

Invitation to the Honors/Scholars program will be included in the acceptance letter, but you have to respond to the invitation separately, select a program and answer additional questions.

Scholarship information will be sent in March.

The two are separate decisions: you can be invited to honors/scholars and not receive a scholarship; or vice-versa.

4 Likes

Yes, the Honors/Scholars/Major and other Living Learning program invites will be on the acceptance letter tomorrow. Scholarships are all later.

2 Likes

^This.
Best wishes to all but the above caution is well heeded. D22 (in-state) was offered only Freshman Connection last year; i.e. spring admit with no chance for merit aid or LLC. That was easily the most shocking decision from any of her schools. She was accepted at three T20 schools (including with merit), four other T50 (two with Presidential Scholarship), and an out-of-state tuition waiver from a top five engineering school. UMD decision was a gut punch and still seems inexplicable.

4 Likes

Also I suggest double-checking to make sure your app shows as complete. My friend’s daughter applied last year and didn’t get a response on the Friday when EA decisions were released due to her SAT scores showing as not being received by UMD.

1 Like

That does hurt. It’s awesome though that you applicant had great options. Maybe they were worried about yield? Thought she’s too great so if she doesn’t end up going to a different school let’s give the spring options.

This same thing happened to my friends son (‘21). Didn’t know why everyone was hearing results but him. Bummer there is it’s past the regular deadline too. He did ultimately get in, but not direct admit to Smith, which he absolutely would have been

2 Likes

Yes my friends daughter ended up getting accepted as a Spring admit but of course did not get any merit money or invitations to special programs like Honors or Scholars. She enrolled in Freshman Connection this fall and loves it at UMD.

Unfortunately if an applicant’s status is not showing as complete at this point there is realistically nothing they can do now that would affect getting a decision tomorrow. But at least they can prepare themselves to not get a decision and maybe get a jump on reaching someone at admissions before they get overwhelmed with people calling after decisions are released.

1 Like

So the consensus is that results are coming tomorrow?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Maybe we should say that they generally start in the master afternoon and progress for a while. I’ve never seen whole groups gets them in a delayed fashion like that.

1 Like

There’s an article that was published several years ago by someone who sat into UMD Admissions meetings and was able to shed light on the process.

1 Like

Here is one “fly on the wall” sort of video that has been around, in case you haven’t seen it:

3 Likes

Yes, Washington Post article. But it’s behind a paywall now. It’s from 2017 though, so a very different admissions environment than the current one.

4 Likes