University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

Do international students get merit scholarships?

Son applied CS, accepted to L&S. Invited to Carillon. I think I understand what the program is, but does anyone know if it’s competitive to get invited to?

Daughter got into Clark school of engineering, Comp Science. OOS. It didn’t say he has honors . When we will find out. So any idea when we will know about merit scholarships?

2 Likes

Accepted with scholars
Test optional
3.9 UW and 4.2W
If they recalculate, GPA would be higher.
Leadership
4-year varsity sport
Various awards at school and athletic conference level
Essays a-ok

A few of 23’s classmates with similar stats and classes didn’t get in. A mysterious process.

4 Likes

Has everyone who applied EA got decision?

Yes they were released today.

1 Like

Honor or other live and learning communities are included in the letter.

1 Like

I didn’t get decision, My application was complete on 11/01.

D Accepted: In State
Smith Business (Honors)
4.0 UW / 4.8 W
34 (ACT)
Leadership/ Strong ECs/PT Job

4 Likes

Call the school Mon morning.

3 Likes

He got an email to check his School of Music portal and there was a decision there.

In that email, they told him he will start the University in Fall 2023 so we got excited because he performs with the Baltimore Symphony Youth Orchestra and we knew of former players who got into the music school but NOT the university which meant they couldn’t go.

Then, he went to his UMD portal and got a decision letter in there.

Did your son apply to the Music school directly. It has a separate application and process.

1 Like

My daughters decision say she got accepted to Clark school of Engineering Comp sci that’s it. Nothing else is mentioned.

I am answering my own question! Looks like Clark school of engineering has honors program available only for top twenty five percent of their classes available in 3rd year.
So my question is where do they live in first two years?

1 Like

do you guys know what it means when your major has a star next to it in the acceptance letter? mine says “Major: Government & Politics* (22070)” and I just can’t seem to figure out why the star is there.

Does anyone know what was this year’s EA acceptance rate?? I feel like I got accepted even tho I have a ■■■■■■■■ profile than most of those who got accepted lol. Maybe cuz I didn’t apply for CS idk?

There is only so many spots, spring admits have the option to do freshman connection where they can live on campus in the fall and take classes they need. These classes are usually smaller and are later in the day. My son knows a lot of kids who were in FC and they all said it was great just because they could sleep in and just get acclimated earlier.

3 Likes

Did you check the portal as opposed to expecting an email?

Did you confirm that everything was received by 11/1, including test scores and any letters of recommendation?

1 Like

Do the squares mean you think your profile was not as good as others?

Could be due to your county. I assume you don’t live in the MCPS district.

Could be due to something they wanted to fill the class—gender, you’re a tuba player, you had an amazing story or essay

Two years ago my sons had a * and it meant nothing. I think it’s just the way it is in the system.

Congrats!

1 Like

LLPs generally live in specific dorms but everyone else can live in any of those dorms as well. It’s all randomly assigned although you minimize your change at triples if you apply for housing earlier. Housing is guaranteed for Freshman so you will get a dorm.

For sophomore year they get an appointment time, if they are in an LLP they get first pick in the dorm that houses their LLP (but not other dorms) otherwise they pick from available housing spots at the time of their appointment.

My son was not in LLP, lived in an honors dorm with an honors roommate freshman year. Lives in an on campus dorm that’s an apartment this year.