University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

By being in on the of the LLP dorms or honors dorm- does it limit their chances of meeting and getting to know other freshmen? I’m just recalling how from my alma matter all the freshmen had freshmen dorms and that is how we got to really
Know one another.

1 Like

My son is in Smith, it’s great! Smith is the hardest LEP to transfer into by far so getting a direct admit is great! They just have to get a C- or better in the three gateways to stay (Calc 1, Business Stat, Accounting 1).

Not at all. My son was on an honors floor (not in an LLP) and he made lots of friends through his classes, friends of other friends, and extra curriculars . He has a nice blend of friends through all of these different things.

None of the honors kids cared he wasn’t in honors. Most didn’t know unless he told them.

1 Like

I believe Honors evaluates first, then scholars, then carillon/fire. So yes it is competitive in that not everyone is invited into an LLP, I think only about half of fall admitted students are in an LLP.

2 Likes

Honors students gave guaranteed housing all four years. Freshman year their housing is tied to their honors program (ie they have to live in specific dorms), sophomore year if they choose to return to that dorm they get first pick in that dorm otherwise they go into the lottery and pick from what’s available. Junior and Senior they just go in the lottery but since the lottery priority is determined by years in campus they pick first so they get good on campus housing. There are some REALLY NICE on campus apartments that are considered dorms.

The only one I’m not 100% sure about is University Honors (one of the honors programs). Since they just moved into the new dorms don’t know if Soph will be able to return to them or not. The other honors programs they can return to same dorm.

2 Likes

The only merit tied to honors is Banneker / Key. There is other merit for OOS that is not just for honors.

2 Likes

Might depend on the program. The 2 year honors programs only provide honors housing for those 2 years, then they have to move to other dorms (or move off campus if they like).
Example: Prince Frederick Hall (honors dorm), only houses freshmen and sophomores.

They take different classes just for them between 3-9pm. So that helps ease the burden on class numbers. They don’t count towards their freshman admit statistics. Not all of them will live on campus. A lot of schools have this. Their classes are actually smaller so it’s great to acclimate them to the university.

2 Likes

Yes I said that. Junior and senior you enter the lottery but you basically get first pic because it goes by seniority)

Yes. I’m not disagreeing, but rather clarifying for others that honors students don’t get to go back to the same dorm. Example PFH students won’t get back to PFH after sophomore year even via a lottery.

1 Like

Are student admit days all day and is it worth going to even if Instate?

Admission to Honors is specifically stated in the beginning of the decision letter. If it is not there, he did not get into the Honors College.

Merit Scholarships will be released towards the end of February.

Also, did you mean Comp Engineering? Comp Science is not in the Clark School of Engineering.

4 Likes

Yes Comp engineering. Ok so she didn’t get into Honors then. I looked up looks like they have a special program for Clark’s starting from 3rd year, which is for their top 25th percentile.
So my daughter/we will have to figure out the housing part.

For housing you just apply for housing and it gets assigned. There really isn’t much choice unless you want one gender or sober living. It’s basically assigned at random. You can request a roommate though.

Thanks. Well since she didn’t get into honors that means no chance at Banneker Key. We are still glad she got into Comp Engineering. UMD was our top choice. If we didn’t get any merit at all it’s going to be tough!

4 Likes

accepted! ACT 31. major in letters and sciences

4 Likes

ResLife will assign your D to a Dorm. If she finds someone that she would like as a roommate, they have a process for putting them together, but the process has changed since my D attended UMD, and I don’t know the details,

I believe the program your are talking about is Departmental Honors. Admission to Departmental Honors includes automatic admission to the Honors College.

Departmental Honors is extra work but I believe that it is worth it.

1 Like

haha thanks. i just felt kinda weird about it

1 Like

same here. did u apply l&s as the alternative major? my first major is cs and alternative major is statistics, but i was accepted to l&s. it’s strange

Ha ha! You are right. We were hoping she would get into honors as she had good academics. Well it is so competitive to just to get in, I guess we should be happy that she got in.
She has gotten in Penn state comp Engineering and Rutgers Comp Engineering too. UMD is our top choice.
Her seniors with similar stats had gotten Presidential scholarships last year. Who knows what’s in store. Thanks for your response.

4 Likes