University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

Well, your D is still eligible for a President’s Scholarship and if she meets all the requirements for the Engineering Honors Program, I assume that she would be admitted.

However, I have no personal knowledge of EHP. My D was not in Engineering. Her husband was, but he did not try to get into EHP.

1 Like

Also, my D and her friends never considered guaranteed housing to be a big deal. They all planned to move into apartments beginning in their Junior year, and they did.

Thanks!

I did not take any college classes or anything that would require an additional transcript. I’m planning on reaching out via email to admissions this weekend and waiting to hear back from them early next week. Everything was sent more than 5 days prior to the deadline idk why this is happening :sob:

1 Like

Thanks! Seeing our kids work so hard it is a huge disappointment to see it was not recognized. I do understand we should be thankful for getting in to Clark.

1 Like

How/when are students notified about Honors acceptances?

2 Likes

Along with the admission decision. If invited to honors, the acceptance letter will say so.

1 Like

Honors and Scholars are nice, but they are based on what a student did in high school. Being in Honors or Scholars does not appear on the Diploma.

A much more impressive accomplishment is completion of Departmental Honors (EHP). This accomplishment does appear on the diploma and is noteworthy to potential employers and Graduate Schools.

It shows that the student was able to successfully take a step up above their peers in college through 2 years of hard work.

Some Departmental Honors student actually get their Honors Thesis published in a relevant Professional Journal

8 Likes

That is encouraging. Overall I feel the whole college stuff is getting too toxic for young kids to handle. If my daughter could take my advice she should go to a school where all her costs are covered and get a non toxic job after undergrad! Well kids don’t value parents experience sometimes.

3 Likes

It appears that honors kids are no longer guaranteed housing either. This is the latest policy as per ResLife:

Resident Life does not guarantee four years of residence hall housing. The lone exception to this policy is made for recipients of the University’s Banneker-Key scholarship or equivalent merit scholarship.

3 Likes

I would say that’s a good thing. Thanks

1 Like

L&S as the alternative, since he only wants computer science and not something else.

1 Like

Well, I guess kids can find their way in college, or get lost. But I think UMD does a good job of helping students find their way… if the student wants it

:100:

UMD does a great job

4 Likes

I don’t think you’ve posted yet on FIRE, right? Would you be willing to share info on that program?

1 Like

We are MD resident. DS got accepted at UMD Honors with Letters and Sciences (L&S) and GIT CS. ACT 34, UWGPA - 3.96. 11 APs. With UMD L&S having a clear path to go to CS, he will be able to go to UMD CS with Honors college. Finance is not an issue. So, we have a tough choice ahead.

Question - anyone in similar situation? If so, is there a way to connect and talk about the decision making rubric to use?

Thank you.

1 Like

What is GIT?

Hi, sorry. Yes, didn’t get a chance to post about FIRE.

It’s a program that lets students explore research opportunities in various fields (known as “streams”). They take a few specialized classes, then get to work with faculty mentors on projects and research initiatives. They are free to pick the stream that most interests them, and it doesn’t have to be related to their major (although most kids do seem to pick something related to their major).

It also provides summer opportunities. Kids I know who have been in this program have enjoyed the experience and felt they benefited from it. They established strong relationships with faculty members and got exposed to many internship and career opportunities.

Full details of the program are here:

4 Likes

Georgia Institute of Technology

Ah, ok. First time I’ve seen that acronym used.
It’s usually called GT, GTech or GaTech (and the locals simply call it “Tech”).

Regarding your question regarding UMD CS vs CS at GT, that’s a nuanced question as there are many factors to consider (not just program ranking). You may want to create a separate thread to ask this question. That’ll get you inputs from people familiar with either or both programs.

3 Likes