University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

any opinions on the College Park Scholars program? is it worth it, or is it extra work with little benefit? puts you into specified housing- Cambridge Community. Is that a good place to live or is it kind of segregating from the main freshman class?

The College Park Scholars Program is made up of 11 subprograms, which students can choose from, per the following link

It appears that each subprogram has an associated resident hall.

I have no personal knowledge of the Scholars Program, but if it is like the Honors Program, all citation requirements (classes) also satisfy GenEd Graduation requirements

Predicted, and highly likely (IMO) because UMD tends to stick to the same schedule each year.

2 Likes

Thanks very much. I just tried to review prior year threads to get a sense on the type of students who received merit and I can’t make heads or tails out of it. We are in-state and I can’t seem to figure out if UMD gives as much merit to in-state as out-of-state (in terms of number of students who received merit and dollar amounts). Meaning - I was trying to figure out if OOS applicants receive higher amounts of aid at UMD or not. We applied OOS to several schools and they gave very generous merit aid based on OOS status. Can’t figure out if UMD takes OOS status in consideration or not when granting merit.

I should also mention that UMBC offered generous merit to in-state admitted applicants.

Without being an AO nor expert in the field, i would think that higher amounts of the “presidential” scholarship go primarily to OOS. Even if you receive the max 12,500, COA is still in excess of $45,000.

We are in state with no financial need. Our child received the top amount of the President’s Scholarship. I think maybe like B-K it’s used to encourage in-state students to attend UMD. It worked four our child because they turned down two elite colleges (which didn’t offer scholarships or aid) to attend UMD with the President’s Scholarship.

2 Likes

Our children were in honors but several of our friends’ children were in scholars. I can’t speak for the children but all of the parents felt the scholars program was beneficial for their children.

1 Like

I talked to my friend who was a grad student at UMD and TA to many undergrads and she said that being in the honors and scholars program at UMD makes a large campus experience a smaller campus experience which would be beneficial for my DD.

I want to repeat something I posted earlier.

@DadOfJerseyGirl has pointed out that the 2022 UMD CDS says that 962 enrolled students got merit scholarships.

This include 150 B/K recipients, and 400 Deans recipients. This leaves 412 enrolled students with Presidential scholarships of varying amounts.

There were a total of 4,742 new freshmen enrolled in 2022, thus 3780 new freshmen did not get any merit scholarships

Scholarships are awarded to Admiiied Students. There were 19,451 students admitted last year.

How many Presidential and Deans scholarships were awarded? I don’t know, but the numbers show how it turned out.

Obviously some who were awarded Scholarships decided not to enroll at UMD, for various reasons.

3 Likes

Please let us know if anyone gets notified of presidential scholarships.
Good luck!

6 Likes

Past hx implies maybe
possibly
 Scholarship notification today? and if so what time are we thinking?

Based on last year, around 4:30 pm

3 Likes

When is this anticipated- end of month, early March?

Today or next Friday, Feb. 24th. Good luck to everyone waiting!

1 Like

Thanks!

Anyone have anything?

Not yet. Should DS be looking for an email or refreshing the student portal?

1 Like

I believe I read in last year’s thread that it showed up in the portal, but I could be thinking of a different school. I can’t keep them straight anymore. :smiley:

2 Likes

UMD archaic portal?

1 Like

If in scholars, they can choose program preferences without committing to the school. These preferences are due soon.

If your kid is not in scholars, then idk.

1 Like