University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

Thanks it works now!

1 Like

I have applied to UMD using common app, How do I apply for any honors program ? Any pointers will be really helpful

There is no separate application for the Honors College. All applications received by the EA deadline will be reviewed for Honors College admission

2 Likes

Thank you very much

My son has applied for CS and I want to get opinion about his chances for BK or Presidential merit scholarship.

He is in-state, 3.95 unweighted GPA and 34/36 ACT. He has been running one for-profit company for website development and one non-profit for teaching CS to middle and high school kids. He had taken six AP and enrolled in three more for senior year.

I have not seen a place on common app to self report AP scores. Where do I go to see?

The BK scholarships are only awarded to students who are admitted to the Honors College. About 400 admitted students are selected each year, out of, probably, 4.000 students who are admitted.

An Honors College video was posted on this thread by @Hippobirdy and it showed that the average gpa was 4.65 and the SAT Middle 50% was 1480-1560 and the ACT Middle 50% was 34-35.

It also showed B/K average gpa was 4.7 and the SAT average was 1530.

These are just averages, Not minimum requirements. IMO, the BK selection process includes much more than just Stats.

As for the President’s scholarship, I would not even try to guess.

Your son sounds like an outstanding candidate for Honors and merit scholarships.

My observation, it will depend on how many other outstanding candidates are like your son.

There was a record number of applicants last year.
Deleted error (caught by @SoofDad )
about # of BK awardees.

This Honors College website mentions 150 BK winners enrolled fal 2022.

I agree with @SoofDad ,impossible to guess about BK and Presidential scholarships. Your son sounds well qualified for consideration with outstanding activities to go with academics.

UMD will have many more candidates with similar GPA, test, class rank, than BK and President’s awards to give,& it is impossible for me to guess his chances.

Still, please do not be discouraged. You are rightly proud of your son!! Remember to celebrate your time together.
He has worked very hard and helped other kids and he surely will continue to be a blessing to any college and career he chooses.

The 400 is the number who are offered BK scholarships and the 150 is the number that actually enroll. The 400 number is listed on the same page as the BK average Stats.

These 2 numbers have been consistent for several years now. Many of the 400 have also been admitted to IVY league/T10 schools and choose to go there.

In any event, as @Hippobirdy said making predictions, or giving chances is futile.

1 Like

My D23 has finished her application for her safety school and now is turning her attention to UMD/Honors/BK.
We hope she is one of the 400/150.
She plans on CE as her major. (OOS)
Her stats are GPA 4.0/4.6, class ranking 1 of 326. (Public School)
Her ACT is a solid 36. i.e. (144/36,36,36,36)
She has a SAT of 1570 from last year and is considering taking the next SAT.
Her EC’s are President of Knowledge Bowl Team and President of NHS.
She writes excellent essays and interviews well.
She has no hook other than she is intelligent.
She is a NMSF at this point and a National Hispanic Scholar.
She will apply EA.
This is the top academic school she will apply for. The rest are big NMF scholarship schools.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. I am encouraged by your inputs and now looking forward to seeing the results of the application process as they u fold!

1 Like

Yes. UMD is very stringent on the deadline.

1 Like

THIS ^^^^^^ is very true

Just to add. if you apply very close to the deadline, they take a while to process the documents and update the portal. So you will not know right away if you made the deadline.

2 Likes

Thank you @SoofDad for the correction.

UMD Admissions opened its November calendar to sign up for visits

https://admissions.umd.edu/visit/daily-visits

1 Like

This thread may be of interest to those who are applying EA

1 Like

From my experience, it is very hard to predict who will be offered the B/K scholarship as all those who are eligible already have high stats and many have leadership and lots of activities. Just being admitted to UMD is a prize these days - any invitation to a special program or a scholarship is frosting on the cake.

1 Like

Wouldn’t all that information be in the activities section of the common app?

3 Likes