University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

Good luck, and keep us posted.

it showed almost full tuition for me. my ECF is $40 so it had me paying less than $10,000. according to the offer i got yesterday, i have to pay like $51k.

2 Likes

same here. only got federal loans and nothing else. maybe it’s a mistake? no institutional grants or anything. did anyone who has received a financial aid offer gotten anything but merit/federal loan?

1 Like

Thanks! I look forward to your update. My Son-in_Law is a Chemical Engineer (from UMD) and he worked in the Shady Grove area for a while after graduating. There are a lot of Companies in that area and also NIH.

Hopefully, UMD will have all the answers that you need.

1 Like

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your response but if the NPC showed you paying almost full tuition, isn’t the offer you got in line with that? I realize that may be more than you feel you can afford but I’m just trying to understand if the NPC gave you a result that was relatively close to the actual offer.

Also are you in-state or out-of-state?

i meant that the NPC had predicted me paying only about $10k, so they would have given me about $40k in aid. rather, the offer i received has me paying $50k with almost no aid.

the NPC was very inaccurate. i’m an out of state applicant.

hope that’s more clear!

1 Like

You may have already moved on from UMD but It might be worth an email to the Financial Aid office to ask why the NPC was so inaccurate.

But in general as an out of state applicant to a public university in another state I would not expect financial aid beyond the federal loans.

2 Likes

Yes, the NPC was way off and it’s been pretty close for all her other schools.

1 Like

I just ran a few different scenarios through the UMD NPC. Even when indicating the worst case from a financial aid situation (6 or more people in family, 3 or more in college at the same time and income of less than $30k), out of state costs were estimated at $40k. So I can’t imagine a scenario where the NPC would return anything less than that for an out of state candidate.

4 Likes

There are no dorms. As previous posters said, it it primarily non-traditional students - working adults, etc.

From their website:

“80 DEGREE PROGRAMS 9 UNIVERSITIES 1 CONVENIENT CAMPUS
The Universities at Shady Grove (USG) offers nearly 80 undergraduate and graduate degree programs from nine Maryland public universities on one convenient campus in Montgomery County”

1 Like

I did the same thing and got the results that you did. I also noticed that s google search of “umd npc” will include a link to an npc calculator from collegeraptor that claims it is for UMD, but is very different. I did not try running that one.

1 Like

Hello
Can a freshman take placement exam for CMSC 131 ? If he passes, can he register 132 for fall semester?
Thanks

1 Like

Here is a link regarding CS exemption exams.

https://undergrad.cs.umd.edu/external-new-student-exemption-exams

Yes, you can test out of CMSC131 and enroll for 132 in the fall.

2 Likes

The last FAQ on that link indicates that the exemption tests are also offered in the Summer.

1 Like

UMD computer engineering with no scholarship Vs Schreyers Honors college Comp Engineering with 5K scholarship per year which would bring down the cost to us to 30K per year.
If this is your choice where would you send your kid?

2 Likes

Schreyers is Penn State? PSU is $30k. How much is UMD?

2 Likes

UMD is 60 K.

May I suggest creating a new thread to ask this question?

You’ll also get inputs from people familiar with Penn State, or with both schools who aren’t watching this thread.

Sure I will create a new thread soon. Still waiting for some more.

2 Likes