University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

We received email confirmation that all is well. Phew!

2 Likes

Here is another report issued by UMD It contains more detail about 2022 Admissions

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjv3d_dyJX7AhXilYkEHUt4AKsQFnoECBEQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Firpa.umd.edu%2FCampusCounts%2FAdmissions%2Fapps_ug.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2s-Pt9k7FvgcQglPZaFVx0

4 Likes

I asked this question on a few other pages, please forgive me…the answers would be school-specific, I think. D23’s first quarter grades are out and good…since no decision made yet, should she submit them? If so, would you just have GC send them, or contact the admissions rep through portal and ask?

This is from the UMD Admissions FAQ. You can have the new grades sent but there is no guarantee that they will be considered.

Q: If I submit new test scores and/or application materials after the deadline, will they be reviewed with the rest of my application?

Only materials received or postmarked by the deadline will be reviewed for admission. We cannot guarantee that new scores or materials received or postmarked after the deadline will be reviewed as part of your application.

3 Likes

Even if new material may or may not be considered, how does one send new material to possibly be looked at? My son, applying EA Engineering, recently received two prestigious honors. Doe one just send an email with attachments to the Maryland’s general admissions email?

That’s one way. Or, maybe your son’s Guidance Counselor could send it.

2 Likes

Your son can also write to his regional admissions representative. They’re very responsive and helpful.

3 Likes

Great suggestion! Thank you so much!

1 Like

Where do you get this 90% figure? TIA

We also heard the 90% figure in their virtual info session.

1 Like

University of Maryland Early Action Acceptance Rate

Based on the most recent data available, applying to the University of Maryland during the Early Action round is almost a requirement. The Class of 2024 saw 59% of EA applicants accepted and just 18% of Regular Decision applicants achieving the same positive result. A stunning 94% of the incoming class was accepted via Early Action. The overall acceptance rate for that cohort was 49%.

8 Likes

My DS18 applied for Fall2023 on 10/11 for EA and got the Terps portal activated. The portal is “dry” with not much information, but shows the application is complete and documents received.
Compared to other application status portals, UMD’s portal has no field for application status (being under review, decision (not) made or or whatever). My son kept checking it once in a while, but its just like staring at a wall with no change :smiley:.
I started to wonder if this is what everyone is staring at or something we missed.

1 Like

My son’s portal says the same thing - Application is complete with the completion date. IMHO, that’s all he needs to see at this point!

2 Likes

Note that the data cited in this article is for the class of 2024, so a bit dated. The number accepted in EA is still close to 94% but the acceptance rates have fallen.

For the class of 2026 the overall acceptance rate was 33%. Unofficial estimate for OOS acceptance is around 25%. That’s across all majors, so acceptance rate for direct admission to competitive majors like CS is a lot lower.

It’s well over this conservative 90% and is published several places.

1 Like

Yep - the admission rate went down - in large part to the application amount coming in going up dramatically. Various reasons why so many applications came in the past two years, but test-optional and gap years played into it.

Note, I was posting in response to the question of whether UMD actually, overall, admits 90% of it’s students from the EA pool. This recent article, July 2022, verified that fact, albiet from a few years ago. Obviously numbers change year to year but that number seems to be above 90% even now, nothing has really changed.

Posters often inquire about the difference between EA and RD and the reality is the overall admission rates between those two options are at opposite ends of the spectrum and it’s good for prospective students to see that information. It’s the reason I posted this same data back in August, when you started this thread, to give this year’s applicants a heads up. UMD has certainly become more competitive otherwise also.

2 Likes

In the past, UMD has not provided the types of portal updates that you mentioned. EA decisions will be released around the end of January.

4 Likes

Do all EA applicants receive on 1/31 or is it rolling until 1/31?

UMD releases on one day - in the past, it was on the last Friday of Jan.

9 Likes