University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you.

It’s EA Decision month, so here is some data from last year.

In 2022. UMD had 56,766 Total Applications (EA and RD). Of these 18,255 were In-State applicants and 38,511 were OOS applicants.

UMD admitted 19,451 students. 7,849.65 IS students and 12,708.63 OOS students were admitted.

Of those admitted, 3328 IS students enrolled and 1414 OOS students enrolled. It also appears that there were about 980 students who enrolled in Freshman Connection.

I derived this information from both the IRPA and the IRIS data bases.

Also, in 2022, 405 admitted students were directly enrolled in Computer Science. UMD does not state how many students applied for CS, nor does it state how many were admitted.

15 Likes

This is great. I haven’t seen IS admission rate anywhere before.

Why the .65 and .63 on number of students?

2 Likes

The IS and OOS admitted students were only given as percentages of the total admitted, not absolute numbers.

I just multiplied by the percentages which resulted in fractional numbers.

3 Likes

Oh that makes sense. Guess I should have used my UMD knowledge to figure that one out. Go Terps!

2 Likes

Thanks! This is helpful! Good luck everyone!

2 Likes

It seemed like the past two years some people experienced not receiving a decision on the EA release date from UMD. I hope those issues are resolved this year.

4 Likes

Every year, people ask “What are the criteria for admission to the Honors College?”

Answer, UMD does not say.

@Hippobirdy previously posted a link to an Honors College video which contained the following information:

The Honors College average GPA is 4.65, the SAT Middle 50% is 1480-1560, and the ACT Middle 50% is 34-35

These are not criteria. Students with STATS both above and below these STATS get into the Honors College.

That same video states that the B/K recipient average GPA is 4.7 and the average score SAT is 1530.

I personally know 2 B/K recipients with lower STATS than the average.

6 Likes

That makes sense some students would have lower stats. A 4.65 GPA isn’t even possible at my child’s school!

Gosh, that is worrisome if 4.7 and 4.65 are the averages. I hope UMD takes the school profile into consideration.

A 4.4 is the highest a kid can get and they have the A- and no A+. Drags down the GPAs.

2 Likes

Usually colleges recalculate GPAs according to their own formula, I have heard.

2 Likes

Can someone explain freshmen connection to me? I am curious if most spring admits go ahead and do it, and what is different about the fall course offerings for FC students? Is it offered to all spring admits?

Thanks!

1 Like

It is offered to all spring admit students.

I believe that most do take advantage of it.

The classes for FC are offered later in the day. Many students actually like this. They are reserved just for these students and there are many interesting classes that are gen eds offered to them.

https://admissions.umd.edu/enroll/admission-decision-faqs/freshmen-connection

3 Likes

In 1990, I had no idea when my early acceptance letter would come to my home in NJ (I do not think it came this early). Thirty three years later and I am a nervous wreck waiting to see if my D gets accepted. High A GPA, Beta Club, NSHSS, NHSDA, Dual Enrollment, AP classes, alumna mom, etc., and none of that matters because most of the incoming competition has the same qualifications-and possibly more. This will be the longest two weeks of my life!!! Good luck to all who are also waiting (and stalking the Terp portal:)!

11 Likes

I completely understand and share your anxiety. Good luck to all our kiddos who have worked so hard to get to this point! I do think though, whatever happens, where they go to college will not define them. They will define themselves.

4 Likes

thank you!

same, same! 1990 for me too! lol!

5 Likes

Same - I recently came across my UMD acceptance letter from 1988, clearly done on a dot matrix printer :joy:. My daughter has some great acceptances already (with scholarship at some), but all she wants is to be a Terp :turtle::heart::white_heart::black_heart::yellow_heart:

13 Likes

I also started in the fall of 1990 - a transplant from Washington State. There is zero chance they’d even look at my application today with the stats I had. That said, we have sent 100% of our three kids to UMD and they’ve had a wonderful time - one is a freshman now. Please feel free to join so many other parents who are waiting for those results together in the UMD 2027 FB group.

9 Likes