University of Miami 2021 Early Action Thread

@aspeen2 no it just means you didn’t get selected for those scholarships however you still have a chance of admission + other scholarship opportunities.

I haven’t received any emails from UM since I applied in nov…??

Don’t worry if didn’t get scholarship email. I think the overwhelming majority doesn’t get one. My friend attends Miami, and she didn’t even know what the scholarship was when I asked her about it, and she got like 20,000 in merit aid alone. You can still get in, with great merit, and not have gotten an email!!!

@aspeen2 No, that would be rediculous. Do you think everyone that gets accepted gets a scholarship? More like, 15% will get the email and maybe 5% will get the scholarship. So most of the people who will be accepted haven’t heard anything yet.

https://twitter.com/umadmission/status/693227069820555264 Last year they tweeted on Friday. And those that got the scholarship emails are going to the UM weekend and competing for a full ride scholarship from what I have read. There are other scholarships available that I think are included in the acceptance package, like the Foote Fellows one for example. I hope this helps and I hope it’s this Friday. Good luck!

oh yes you are right kslinky… regard my comment about decisions being on monday last year then

“So the general consensus is that if you didn’t get a scholarship email you’re rejected/deferred?”

No, definitely not. I have not read the whole thread but I think the “scholarship email” refers only to the named scholarships such as Stamps. UM gives out lots of merit scholarships (something like 40% of admits) and you will be notified of this at the same time that you get your EA admissions notice. Good luck.

When decisions do come out, will they be under the communication center in the student center part?

It looks like people who did not turn in financial aid information by the deadline did not receive email invitation to scholarship weekend.

We did not turn in any financial aid information, but my D18 was invited to scholarship weekend.

“It looks like people who did not turn in financial aid information by the deadline did not receive email invitation to scholarship weekend.”

I am sure that this is not correct. Correlation does not imply causation!

I also checked “applying for financial aid” and I turned in my FAFSA however I forgot to turn in my CSS. It does say on their website that those who don’t turn in their financial aid are at a disadvantage for admission so Im kind of freaked out. Do you guys think I will still get an admissions decision with everyone else? And will they actually deny me just because of financial aid? because financial aid is not crucial to me for my decision to attend so I would hate for it to effect my acceptance. Should I submit the CSS now? or is it pointless at this point.

I turned in both FAFSA and CSS on time. And I haven’t received any emails about Stamps scholarship

@nikiblinov As we have discussed a hundred times in this thread, your admissions are not, and legally cannot be affected by your financial aid application. Please stop asking this, I’m sure you’re freaking some people out. It means you will be at a huge disadvantage when it comes to financial aid if you neglect to enter all information.

@AHRed13 It is not an unreasonable thing to ask considering they actually have it written on their financial aid website

I quote directly: “Admission and financial aid applications that remain incomplete after the deadline will be at a distinct disadvantage and likely will not be admitted. Institutional funds may not be available to student aid applications which remain incomplete after the published deadline.”

http://www.miami.edu/admission/index.php/ofas/undergraduate/how_to_apply_undergraduate/

I think he means that if you applied for financial aid and didn’t turn in all the financial aid documents before their deadline, then you won’t be in consideration for scholarships.

Nope-- I didn’t turn my financial aid things in on time but I got the email.

@halldinar when did you get your email?

can someone give me an idea as to if i should be getting my hopes up or not? i need scholarships too… 4.4 WGPA 3.7 UWGPA 32 ACT 8 AP/IB classes over the past 3 years (none freshman year) and decent extra curriculars…job for 4 years, internship, volunteer work, equestrian

@Collegeapplicant101 , I actually live in the suburbs. Go to Benet Academy in Lisle.