University of Miami 2021 Early Action Thread

My S was accepted but only viewed on canelink
Did anyone else just based on social media also look at canelink as opposed to getting an email. Also how long after did you receive merit $ email. My s financial aid tab sas no access avail. Does that mean no $$ ?

@uditjain not international, im not really sure about appealing for more scholarships, to be honest, Miami wasn’t my number 1 so I dont think Im going to be doing much investigating.

@mom3boyz

Financial aid was shown on canelink under Communication and also an email at same time. Try to logout and login back into Canelink. Make sure to check the spam filter on your email. The email is coming from “ofas”.
FA letter came after 1 hr of the Acceptance update.

@mom3boyz My scholarship showed up immediately under the financial aid tab, but i had to wait to receive the email.

Anyone get a presidential scholarship worth more than 25k?

I recall reading last year on CC or some other site that UM has decided to move more funding to Aid/Grants from Merit Scholarships. I can clearly see now why people are getting less Merit $$( Presidential) but more Aid/Grant $$…

@uditjain what were your stats and where are you from? (I know international don’t submit standardized test scores) Also where did you find out about the scholarship? And congrats btw and to everyone else!!! :slight_smile:

Accepted from NJ! I never actually checked my CaneLink, but I got an email saying my financial aid wasn’t done (oops!) and that I received the Presidential Scholarship (25k a year). Does this mean I’m no longer being considered for any premiere scholarships? I never got an email about any of them, is it still possible for me to receive an invitation?

@pinacoladaxo Hey, although im an international student, Im studying in America so was required to submit standardized scores. I’ve got a 1420 on the New SAT. 3.9 UW/4.54 W GPA and 9 AP courses.

I guess we should start posting stat information??

Accepted EA ($14k/year merit scholarship)

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2090 (didn’t send unless I had to)
ACT (breakdown): 32 C (35E, 32R, 29S, 33M) 33C
superscored
SAT II: 790 USH, 700 M2
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.96
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): na
AP (place score in parenthesis): APUSH (4), Spanish (5)
IB (place score in parenthesis): na
Senior Year Course Load: 4 APs + 2 other fun classes
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Gold President’s Award, National Hispanic Scholar

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Editor in chief of arts magazine, news editor of news publication, secretary of MUN club, co-founder of journalism summer camp, did three internships in HS, photographer at a White House Cybersummit
Job/Work Experience: paid intern for a local website but no real job
Volunteer/Community service: Volunteered ~300 hours but only reported 183 (oops) – Interned at BGCP and got most of my hours that way.
Summer Activities: Clemson Summer Scholars, BGCP internship, other summer classes for fun
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 8-9ish. It detailed my struggles w/ speech therapy and how I became more resilient because of it.
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): didn’t read any of them - I feel like maybe those were my weaknesses?

Teacher Rec #1:
Teacher Rec #2:
Counselor Rec:
Additional Rec:
Interview:

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
Intended Major: International Relations
State (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Public but prestigious
Ethnicity: Hispanic
Income Bracket: ~$100,000
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM (But I don’t think that matters for UMiami lol)

Reflection

Strengths: Above average scores, good essay
Weaknesses: Maybe my recommenders?
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: URM, no major weaknesses
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Accepted Tulane & UMiami, deferred at Brown ED

General Comments:

Got deferred today! Miami was my reach school and i thought I would get straight up denied! Overall happy!!

I got waitlisted. 3.35 UW GPA, 32 ACT (33 superscore), 1400 new SAT

Did anyone get info scholarship whose canelink previously said 2018 award access not available and inquiry access denied?

Looking at some of these stats I’m kind of amazed how I got accepted

Got waitlisted :confused: 30 ACT (not superscored) 97 GPA, and really impressive leadership EC’s. A little upset, but mostly confused on why EA kids are getting waitlisted and not deferred? Anyone have any idea why they they wouldn’t just defer everyone to regular decision?

Do you guys think it’s better to be deferred or waitlisted? I got deferred, but I know a lot of people got waitlisted.

Applied Early Action just received notification that I was -deferred-. Honestly don’t know what to think and I am kind of disappointed tbh. Oh well. Congratulations to everybody who got in!!!

Type of High School: A well known public suburban high school

ACT: 31 super score-32

GPA: 3.8/4.0 unweighted 4.3/5.0 weighted

Class Rank: 18/410

Classes: I have taken every honors class available to me since freshman year, 3 years of french and also
AP Micro/Macro
APUSH
AP Lit
AP Psych
AP Calc AB
AP Calc BC
AP Lang
AP Bio.
I have gotten a B+ in Honors Pre-Calc both semesters
B+ in Honors Chemistry for one semester
B+ in AP Calc AB for one semester.
Rest of my grades are A/A-

Extra Curricular’s:
-4 years varsity tennis
-4 years speech team
-class officer for student government
-co-president of a club promoting mental health awareness,
-president/founder of the schools ski and snowboard club,
-national honors society
-over 200 volunteer hours from volunteering at the hospital,
-I babysit and nanny,
-I had a job for the last two summers working at an ice cream shop.

Essay: it’s decent i worked REALLY hard on it

Letters of Rec: both from teachers that I had close relationships with

On UM’s website, it says for need based scholarships you had to complete FAFSA and PROFILE. For people that received merit based only scholarships, did you also fill these forms out? My financial aid page says Inquiry Access Denied.

Waitlisted
30 act
4.0 UW
I attend their online highschool for gods sake

@pozvibes i would really like to know that too!