University of Miami 2021 Early Action Thread

Did anyone get a confirmation after submitting the essays for the scholarship weekends? My DD did not.

Woohoo! Got accepted w 18k per year plus some need-based aid!! I have a 4.4 weighted and 3.7 unweighted and a 34 ACT w five ap courses and everything else at least honors

accepted to marine sci/computer sci w/ presidents scholarship $14K/year!

I got in undeclared sciences with a 3.6 unweighted gpa and a 26 ACT. I believe that my outstanding extra-curriculars, essays and recommendations are what got me in.

@sprinkle I got into marine sci/comp sci as well

If you did not receive a financial aid letter does that mean no merit $$ ??? Did anyone else not receive an email regarding financials?

Should I make a GroupMe for people who got accepted?

Here’s the link if anyone wants to join

You’re invited to my new group ‘The U #2021’ on GroupMe. Click here to join: https://■■■■■■■■■■■/join_group/28475670/DIBmZG

Just got off the phone with Umiami, second wave of premier scholarships comes out by the end of the week.

Accepted EA but haven’t heard about a scholarship yet (“inquiry access denied”)

Academics:
ACT: 33 (35 English, 30 Math, 34 Reading, 31 Science)
UW GPA: 3.75
Class Rank: school doesn’t rank
AP Classes (score in parentheses): Psychology (5), US History (4), Lang/Comp (4), Biology (3)
IB Classes: (score in parentheses): n/a
Senior Courses: AP Statistics, AP Lit/Comp, AP US Government, Calculus, Honors Physics, Economics and a couple electives

Honors/Awards:
AP Scholar with Honor
FBLA 4th Place Intro to Business
FBLA 3rd Place Economics
Honor Roll

Extracurricular Activities: Varsity tennis captain, intern for a popular online blog, FBLA secretary, anti-drug club in my community, two pre-college programs at very highly ranked universities where I earned a total of 5 credits

Essay: 9 or 10/10. College counselor said it’s the best of the year and wouldn’t be surprised if a college creates a supplemental question next year based off of it. Extremely unique (did the “solve a problem” prompt) and I doubt anyone’s every seen anything like it before.

Recommendations: I didn’t read any of them, but I assume they were pretty good. Both of my teachers really liked me.

Race: White
Sex: Female
Income Bracket: >500k
State: PA
Hooks: none

Strengths: Essay, ACT
Weaknesses: GPA, probably

Also Accepted at:
Tulane
Penn State (Smeal, finance)
Ohio State (Fisher, finance)
Fordham (Rose Hill, Gabelli for finance)
Pitt

Deferred/Rejected/Waitlisted:
Rejected UPenn
Deferred Villanova (legacy)

Still waiting on (all RD):
Michigan
USC
UCLA, Cal, UCSB, UCSD
Northwestern
Boston College
Boston University
Villanova (deferred)

I was one of only three students accepted from my school out of over twenty who applied- many of whom had higher GPAs than I did. I have no doubt that my essay got me in along with my ACT score and extracurriculars. Good luck to everyone waitlisted or deferred, but remember that everything happens for a reason and you’ll be successful wherever you go :slight_smile:

@Harryp17

Can you explain it more what you mean by more premier scholarships next week. Are these for students already admitted and going for Singer Invites…

No these are for students who have yet to receive invitations for stamps/singer scholarship weekend. They release invitations in waves. @dadfor2014

Anyone hear about the Hammond Scholarship?

Are the Presidential Scholarships for 2 years or for 4 years? I thought I saw somewhere that it is 4 but then I saw someone had it only for 2???

@EmptyNest16 My son’s says 8 semesters/4 years

Does anyone know if the Coral Grant is need based or Merit? I’m seeing some mentions that the Coral Grant is need based, but we do not qualify for need base aid at all.

@OldCheermomDC I was wondering the same thing about the Coral Grant. The only info I could find on it is that it is need based. This is from the UM OFAS: *Students are considered for federal, state, and institutional grants based on the FAFSA and CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE applications submitted each year. Please note that institutional grants are need based. Students who only wish to be considered for the Federal Pell grant and Federal Direct Loans will only need to complete the FAFSA application.

Does anyone know what the Henry Caballero Endowed Scholarship is? I assume that’s merit?

@Steglitz90 thanks for this info. I wished that all of the other schools considered us as need based. I’m grateful for all that we received because it really helps a lot.

Who did you talk to? My daughter was invited in the 1-20 round but her invitation went directly to her trash folder. We talked with the university today about the fact that she never saw the invitation until the deadline had passed.(It was Friday, 1-27) and asked for the opportunity to still rsvp and were told door closed. As a cautionary note, if you thought you should have been invited and you have gmail, check your trash folder. Her original invitation went directly there. A reminder email was also sent and that one went to her promotions (sale ads) folder. She has no filters set on her emails and these invitations never passed through her inbox or spam folders. These emails come from an address admission@connect.miami.edu. Anything from @miami.edu goes to the inbox. She is devastated to not have the chance to interview. If they were going to send out a 2nd round I believe they would have given her the chance.

I talked to my admission counselor and he said 2nd round comes out by the end of this week. I also checked on the twitter page and they said they release in waves and only first wave was released.