University of Miami Class of 2024

@jpayne66 in years past all EA applicants who were offered the chance to submit the essay for the premier scholarships were accepted

However according to an earlier post, this year they are stating the following:

“Finalists who fail to
submit a short essay by the deadline will likely not be admitted to the University of Miami due to lack of demonstrated
interest.”

So I assume that means if you applied EA and don’t submit the essay to try for the premier scholarship, they may not actually accept you.

Yes, I believe they are trying to get rid of some students who will not attend, as it will be a waste of time to evaluate those students’ applications.
Also, this is why I am confused; I think the university might have invited a number of students to submit the essay :frowning: If it is the case, it would be very competitive to obtain a Premier Scholarship.

@Mom2NND - thank you.

There are many off campus housing options that are much, much cheaper. A lot of sophomores go off campus to escape the obligatory food plans.

My son received the notification to submit an essay for a premier scholarship. He applied EA and is OOS student with 32 ACT , 3.85 UW GPA/4.5 W GPA. Varsity sports and several ECs. Some volunteer work.

Have any EDs received any Merit money notification yet? D received letter, but only told about need based loans.

Same with me

Hi guys my stats are
4.95 gpa
33 act
A bunch of Ec and volunteer hours.
I really love umiami and I would totally go but
It’s super expensive and I’m kinda butthurt I didn’t get a invitation to the scholarship ): do you think they’re still releasing them? Or do you think I should maybe email and ask. ( that probably sounds awful) I really love this school and I’ve been wanting to be a cane since I was 3

Considering that the deadline for the essay is 5th of January, I think they are unlikely to invite any more students. However, it is worth to try sending them an email if you cannot afford without scholarship. But remember that there is still a chance for a Presidential scholarship!

Happy Holidays all! So I am up researching financial aid and found an article regarding UM’s new policy of “UM Within Reach,” which basically says in fall 2020 admitted FL residents (that are eligible for federal aid) will have all unmet/ demonstrated need MET (above what is calculated by FAFSA & CSS) through grants, scholarships, student loans & work-study. This is also on the UM website (buried so do a search).

The article also implies all ED applicants but this is not confirmed on the webpage. Some thing to research for those considering switching to ED2 before the 1/1 deadline!

Good morning - does anyone know if there is a word limit to the essay? We couldn’t find any specifics - it just says short essay

250 words. My daughter clicked on the “submit your essay” link found in her letter and the actual word limit was specified there. Good luck!

Thank you!

Can anyone who received a premier scholarship letter advise if the Hammond Scholarship was mentioned - or is that possibly a different letter that comes out separately, later?

The letter only referenced premier scholarshios generally. I assumed that meant all of them icluding Hammond.

I saw a vlog on YouTube from last May where a girl said she went to the Hammond Scholarship Weekend in March. She did not say Premier Scholarship Weekend. This leads me to believe that the scholarships might be separate for some reason.

I am not sure I am right but I understand that after essays are turned in finalists are selected to go to one of three weekends for interviews. Maybe someone else can confirm…

I believe that Miami changed their process last year. They did away with the three weekends and now only have one. It is on their website already as Feb. 28-29, 2020. The way I read it, if you are invited to the weekend you have been given a premier scholarship, and no interviews are conducted. Maybe someone who attended last year can provide clarification.

Looks like there are several Premier Scholarships STAMPS, Singer, Weeks and Hammond. All but the STAMPS says that the candidates will be asked to write a short essay then may be invited for a weekend. Hammond is specific for diverse candidates and I couldn’t find what the others were necessarily tied to, if anything. Like STEM or Business or the Arts etc.

It looks like last year the Hammond invitees were notified with their acceptances, separately from any other premier invitations. Was trying to figure out if it’s going to be the same this year.