University of Miami Class of 2024

@SolMar EA decisions have not come out for anyone yet. ED (binding) decisions are out. Not the same thing.

The EA students who were told they are finalists for the premier scholarship were not officially admitted yet, although the letter was under the tab saying “admission decision” or something like that. At the end of the letter it says if the student does not submit the essay they will likely NOT be admitted due to lack of interest. So, these kids are top applicants but if not interested in consideration for the scholarships they will likely not be admitted at all. Seemed really odd but I guess they don’t want to waste time on high stats kids who aren’t serious about the school.

1 Like

Does anyone know how critical it is to visit UM to show demonstrated interest? My daughter is very interested and applied EA, but we live in Oregon so visiting is expensive. However I worry that private schools especially track these things. Any thoughts out there? Thanks.

It would seem as though UM is tracking interest. We just visited a second time last week while on vacation and an admissions rep at the tour told us to sign in online so they would know we were there again.

That’s clearly a yield management strategy by Miami.

@5OnTheHill The most recent common data set on the University of Miami shows “Level of Applicant Interest” as “Considered”. It is not marked a “Very Inportant” nor “Important” so it it’s kind of hard to understand who/why they select semifinalist for premier scholarships.
Best of luck to all!

It seems like UM is looking beyond the surface of what most are posting on here. We all share scores, GPA, AP classes etc. but we have to remember they don’t come close to telling the whole story. There are real kids behind the numbers, students who have stories, interests, and deep involvement that can only come across in letters of recommendations, counselors letters and their resume.

I totally agree. I already see people on here with higher stats that I had yet didnt get an invite but i did . I would say a couple of my EC’s are strong and unique so maybe that helped. plus my rec letters were from teachers who were basically my besties lol

Wait, is there Finalist and Semifinalist for the Premier scholarships? Or do you mean Finalist?

My child did not visit prior to acceptance. Accepted early action for fall 2019.

I agree. Although my stats are not easily comparable to US systems (I do IBDP), I can see that some students with “higher” stats than me were not named as the finalist. It’s definitely going to be other aspects like ECs and essays.

I read an article by Rick Clark, director of admissions at Georgia Tech, who explained the process in this way. He described many students as “solid gold”. These kids have great stats, great ECs, etc. Some kids are solid gold squares, some are solid gold circles, however the university might be looking for a solid gold triangle. If a student isn’t accepted it could simply be a matter of “fit”, and does not mean that student isn’t accomplished and amazing. Sometimes the university is looking for someone to fill a particular role on campus.

My daughter’s letter said finalist.

@SeoulJeju I meant finalist, like @jpayne66’s daughter.

My DD letter said finalist as well, I misspoke using semifinalist earlier.

Does anyone have any insight regarding the process for evaluating the essays that had to be submitted for premier scholarships by 1/5/20? The website says scholarship weekend is scheduled for 2/28-2/29.

https://www.scholarshipweekend.miami.edu/

@2020CollegeDad Only last years thread looked like some were getting their notifications with their acceptances end of January which was prior to the their scholarship weekend. Thus thinking this year will be the same and only the scholarship recipients attend the weekend.

I hope that maybe this timeline will help some who are having questions

• ED1 applicants have been notified of acceptance (December 2019)
  • ALL applicants (ED1, EA, ED2, Regular) who are being considered as finalists for the Premier Scholarships have been notified and asked to complete the essay by 1/5/20*
  • EA applicants should be notified of acceptance by end of January/beginning of February 2020
  • ALL applicants who are selected to receive Premier Scholarships should be notified at the same time as the EA acceptances in late January/early February 2020

*If you did not receive notification of being a finalist for a Premier Scholarship, there won’t be any more opportunities for THOSE scholarships. That DOESN’T mean that you won’t still qualify for the Presidential or Canes Scholarships or others specific to the individual colleges within the University.

1 Like

Thank you LaxMom2020!

is anyone here applying for nursing? my daughter is and this is her absolute dream school and she applied EA. What are others’ stats and the competitiveness of the program?