University of Miami Class of 2024

@fifanto365 When you applied ED you indicated that you understood the offer of admission was binding-regardless of FA package. So perhaps they will not provide you with the FA package prior to the deposit sbumission deadline.

1 Like

For those who applied ED1, have you received your financial aid package yet? Do they allow you to view your package before you submit the deposit? I applied ED2 and wondering if I am able to view my FA package before I submit the deposit.

@CanesFan123 No, I didnā€™t receive my FA package. the deadline for the deposit is January 16. I donā€™t really know what I should do at the moment.

anyone from the admitted students under ED1 plan knows what we have to do right now (pay the deposit without receiving Financial Aid packages OR wait) especially because it is NONREFUNDABLE.

I think the right move would be to call the FA office and ask what your package is.

@fifanto365 & @CanesFan123 if you go on Canelink(full site), student center & then view financial aid & click the aid year link will bring up what CSS & FAFSA documents have been received. At the top left menu there is a tab for awards which shows the COA & financial aid. Since my son is EA, he just has his COA & estimated student & parent contribution.

@MusicMomSC i followed your instructionsā€¦ my daughters award section is blankā€¦ assuming thats because she is EA and has not heard anything yet?

@jhmoney UM might still be getting the data together. For my sonā€™s (also EA) it just shows the $73,216 COA broken out (tuition, fees, r&b, etc) and a separate section with student contribution & parent contribution (higher than our EFC). No awards, loans or grants - and he wasnā€™t invited to write any essays for the premiere scholarships.

@MusicMomSC For us also the parent contribution was higher that EFC.

Does anyone know the past RD release dates? or when UMIAMI will come out with RD decisions for 2020?

Will EA decisions come out on the 31st or 24th?

@ildro Our parent contribution was also a tad higher than our EFC, but pretty close ā€“ which is to be expected, as UM uses CSS & its own institutional method to calculate need (looks like for us it was EFC + some extra for home equity). I just hope that if my son gets in, the ā€œaidā€ isnā€™t all loans.

So can we expect a decision today? this week? next week? there are so many different directions in this thread LOL. just getting nervous and time is going by slower than ever

Ask on twitter sometimes theyā€™ll tell you. At least theyā€™ll say when it isnā€™t going to be. :slight_smile:

My D was accepted ED1 in December. Her admission letter says she qualified for a small government loan. No merit money was mentioned. I just called the Admissions office. They looked up her account and told me she is only getting the loan! No idea how Iā€™m going to come up with $76,000! Already paid deposit as was told on previous call that Merit money was still in the works. Yikes!!!

Thatā€™s awful Iā€™m sorry to hear. Iā€™m afraid of ED my daughter didnā€™t apply ED to any school. Good luck to you!

@KM6895 As I was researching financial aid for UM & ED I found an article & video (on UMā€™s Facebook 10/9/2019) on the new ā€œUM Within Reachā€ policy. The video mentions that ED applicants would also be eligible for 100% Needs Met (along with FL residents for ED, EA & RD). My concern was they would max out federal loans prior to any school assistance but gives you a starting point!
Hopefully that helps and please keep us updated!

Does University of Miami ever announce when decisions are coming out ahead of time?

@dreamer000 and @southerndreaming no they donā€™t announce when decisions will come out. I would not anticipate or expect any EA decisions before the last week of January, and realisticly not before Jan 29 or so. 2 years ago they came out on Feb 1 (which was a Thursday) Last year they came out on Tues Jan 29. One poster in this thread stated that they spoke to admissions office and were told that decisions are ahead of schedule this year (FWIW). So of course I could be incorrect and they could come out any time, but since their website states late Jan/ Early Feb I would not expect them before last week in Jan. My opinion on this may be clouded by the fact that they said late Jan 2 years ago when my D1 applied, and we waited every day and they still didnā€™t come out in January. That caused a lot of stress for all the EA applicants and has clouded my opinion on when they will release decisions. Additionally not giving a specific date also induces a lot of stress and anticipation on the part of the applicants, It would be really nice if they would just give a date and stick to it. Or at least at this point in the process give an update as to the expected date, considering that they have to have some idea at this point as to when they will be available.

Anyway, 2 years ago they did post on instagram an icon of envelopes going into a large mailbox on the day the decisions came out. Not sure if they did this last year or not.

EA/OOS (applied Oct 5): 34 ACT, 4.2 GPA ā€¦there isnā€™t any financial information (COA) under the financial/award tab. FASFA filed Oct (although, will not qualify for NBA). Perhaps no information is not a favorable indicator (although way to the right of the scattergramā€™s distribution).