University of Miami Class of 2024

@mmkitkat my S was deferred as well (he auditioned for the MADE program).

@atlbella I did not, I am an international student from Chile

@Ctamayo I see the 52k in the full site

Has anyone received an admission decision on a dual degree program application?

@steelpen that doesnā€™t make any sense - for Miami to invite you to apply for premier scholarships, you submit essay, and then get deferred. I would call admissions to see if there were a glitch and they either didnā€™t receive your essay or the decision was a glitch. It does not make sense.

As this is my second rodeo I can tell you that if you have amazing stats, like top tier school stats, and did not apply ED, the school is well aware you have applied to a number of schools and they most likely view your app as a safety school. Most schools will take you if you applied ED with amazing stats. I was told this by a number of schools we visited for my older S. One school stated they accepted 80% of ED apps. As many of you who were deferred with amazing stats have stated, you have received more money from better or comparable schools. U of M KNOWS this and they include this in their calculations of who they think will actually enroll. Amazing stats can be a catch 22! After ED2 decisions come out, they will have a better understanding as to their enrollment numbers and will then go back to the deferrals. I would stay in touch and send more info to the admissions office if U of M is truly a top choice for you. Good luck and congratulations to those who have already been accepted!! My son was denied, but we knew he most likely would be because U of M was a reach school. He has been accepted to other good schools that are actually more affordable because dayum, U of M is super expensive!!

Son applied dual degree biochemistry but hasnā€™t heard anything and acceptance letter didnā€™t reference anything? Anyone know what process for these programs is?

My daughter Was also deferred for MADE.

Deferred

If I was deferred with with average stats what are the chances of getting accepted over those with amazing stats who got deferred. Would contacting a local admissions rep do anything?

@ntxmom son didnā€™t hear on dual degree but was accepted. Anyone know process? What dual degree did your kid apply for?

@palmtreelover My daughter applied to the law dual degree program. She too was accepted but no mention of the dual degree application.

@MusicMomSC yes

My D got the Singer Scholarship (and has very high stats) like so many others on here. I believe that what set her apart was that she does color guard, both for the marching band and during the winter season for Winter Guard. Both of these groups are competitive, meaning they enter competitions most weekends against other schools. Miami needs color guard members, as they just brought back the program in 2015. UM currently only has 12 members, so she fills a need that the school has. They know what her ā€œroleā€ will be on campus, as she has a skill set that is valuable to them. This is just conjecture, but itā€™s what makes sense to me as I read about the other amazing students who did not get merit, or who got deferred.

If I got aid and scholarshipā€¦ do I have to pay the housing repayment (500$)??

My son was accepted EA but nothing at all is showing up in the financial section. Is anyone else missing this. (i think there was something listed last night and now no longer there)?

@tlk1993 try using internet explorer and if nothing appeared, call them on Monday

My son was admitted EA with $20k Presidential scholarship (From Calif; 32 ACT - one sitting; 4.1wt GPA, plus all the usual awesome Sports/ECs/Leadership that everyone else has). Despite this great news, I have to say Iā€™m disappointed in how the U has handled the admissions release. When my older son was accepted to the U back in 2017, he received a congratulatory email regarding admissions and an email congratulating him on earning a scholarship (actually, it was still disorganized, as the scholarship email came about 15 min before the acceptance email). This year, there was no notice by the U that decisions were posted ā€“ we only knew because we were following this thread. My son said he didnā€™t receive any emails from the U until he got one late last night, about FA & not notifying him on admissions. This morning there was an email from President Frenck about being admitting. The whole Canelink system is a hot mess & needs to be upgraded ā€” maybe that is what they are doing on 2/1? For such a great school to have such a clunky system is a bit of a head-scratcher.

Accepted to Business (Marketing) but unable to attend :frowning:

White female, OOS

1580 SAT, 3.86/4.35 GPA (9th-11th)
10 honors classes and 5 APs
Very competitive HS, no class ranking

Leadership, volunteering, NHS, choir/a cappella, government club, sports up to JV, family responsibilities

Strong essay and recommendations

Given $15,000 Canes scholarship even though I believe I shouldā€™ve been nominated for one of the premier scholarships or at least given the presidential scholarship. $3,000 in work-study, no additional need-based despite them saying that I have ~$19,000 in need (realistically I have ~$40,000 in need, but ~$19,000 was their evaluation). Not only did they not meet my full need that THEY calculated, but I feel that my merit scholarship should be IN ADDITION to need-based aid, not a replacement for it. Merit aid should be giving especially competitive applicants an added incentive to come to the school. I hate to sound like an entitled brat here, but I strategically applied to Miami, knowing that my stats were above their averages, expecting a substantial amount of merit aid. Stunned that Iā€™m being asked to pay $55,000/year. Very disappointing and frustrating.

@melaniec does the scholarship or award for the 52k has a name? Is a presidential scholarship? Or canes achievement?