University of Miami Class of 2024

My son was accepted into the Business school with a 10K Canes award. His friend from the same school, same demographics, with lower GPA and lower test scores received 23K. How is this right and is there anything i can do to get more?

Miami is one of the few schools (along with, funny enough, its clone on the west coast-USC) that does holistic merit aid, meaning they take the essay into account as well along with classes taken and personal situation (mental illness, low income that blocked you from getting a tutor, disabilities you overcame). Still, it never hurts to ask them in a little bit (they are super busy right now).

Acceptance package came in the mail today. It stills reflects the same we saw on portal. She called and was told that if she got ithe President Scholarship then that’s it and NO premier. :neutral:
Glad she also got grants, may still be a possibility.

@sunshuttle When and how is appropriate to ask

@chmcnm I agree with you wholeheartedly 
I think they are working it big time!!

That’s weird. My daughter also got the Singer and it correctly states $26,030 for fall semester and $26,030 for spring semester. Yours must be a mistake.

@MB2020 My son was supposed to be finalist for the premier scholarship and it only sowing Canes Achievement for $10000!!!’ There is an additional life time award for other $10000 , we are hoping the total Isa $20000. But for a kid that was told he was at the top of the applicants and now seen others getting presidential scholarship of &20k and they were not even invited for the premiers it doesn’t make any sense at all.

Miami is still his first option so will see.

@ildro where are you located?

Have anybody received the “Weeks” scholarship?

My daughter just got a letter in her message center inviting her to apply for Lead Miami. Does anyone know what this is? Other than student employment/internship assistance on campus, it wasn’t really clear what this entails.

@MB2020 just wait for 1-2 weeks or so and call/email and describe your situation nicely. You will probably not get anything out of it, but who knows. Wait until April and do it again. Tell them other offers. They will probably accommodate you at least a little bit at that time.

I got that as well, I’m curious if a lot of people got it or it actually is selective.

@Broadway24601 and @sunshuttle my son received it too - the invitation to apply is very vague and doesn’t provide a lot of information.

@Broadway24601 and @sunshuttle I get the impression that anyone can apply - I found the page on UM’s website that talks about the program and has a hyperlink that anyone can click to apply. Here it is:
https://admissions.miami.edu/undergraduate/financial-aid/lead-miami/index.html

@Ctamayo We are in Texas.

Daughter also received Lead Miami invitation
here we go again, another invitation with unclear benefits
, after the premier mini fiasco kind of hard to know if it’s selective or not.

@Debbeut @NYCMomof3 my daughter did nit have any merit on the website. Today she received her acceptance in the mail and it included the Presidential Scholarship for $23,000 per year. Definitely a bit disorganized.

My daughter received Lead invite today as well. My best guess tells me that it’s not that selective. She was only awarded $10k/year Cane Achievement. Has received a lot more money from other schools. It is very high on her list, but so far I haven’t seen anything about UMiami that justifies paying such a high tuition. Very disappointed.

Are all the foote fellow invites out with admission decision or will more be sent through email?

@Ctamayo i think that the total is only 10K. we also had in awards 10K and in lifetime 10K but letter came today said only 10K

My daughter received her welcome packet and Merit aid report today in the mail.
She received the following aid package

President’s Scholarship $15,000
President’s Architecture Scholarship $37,060
Florida Academic Bright Futures Scholarship (FL resident) $6,930
Florida EASE Grant (FL resident) $2,841

This makes her admission very affordable for us making UM cost about 7K for the year plus books.