University of Miami Class of 2024

@14Maddox Interesting! Let’s hope…

Wow, I wish my major offered scholarships like that!

hi, congrats to all who’ve been accepted! i’ve been lurking to see if i could find a response about the financial aid letters but it seems like it’s a bit different for everyone.

i didn’t receive any emails about my financial aid awards but in my caneid portal, under the lifetime awards, it says that i have an “institutional grant” of 23k under my pell grant. is this the presidential scholarship or is this an error? i’ve told my parents and counselors i got this scholarship and it would be really embarrassing if i didn’t get it. also, i haven’t received my welcome packet even though i live quite close to um. does the packet have an award letter in it?

My daughter received her welcome packet and her aid letter was inside…we live in south Florida

No–sorry, I do a lot of research–let’s just say I am in the business :slight_smile: happy to answer any questions, but all this information is public. Collegeboard.com -look up schools in the box in upper right hand corner—look under “applying” and “paying” Most of this information is from the Common Data Set that all schools need to submit to the government each year.

Sorry for the confusion–last year they placed 10,405 students on the Wait List–approximately 4,000 accepted their offer to stay on the waitlist and ultimately 30 students accepted their offer from the waitlist. No idea how many that were deferred from EA were moved to the waitlist. Tough odds.

My daughter found out she received a $10k per year scholarship to University of Miami. She would be an out of state student. We are curious if there are more opportunities for in state (Florida) students.

She has a lot of other acceptances with a LOT more scholarship dollars. She loves UM – but we don’t qualify for financial aid. Is there a way she can ask for more scholarship dollars?

@Booksmart27 my daughter was deferred… it does not ask her if she wants to stay on a deferred list? is wait list better than deferred? Im confused what wait list is as opposed to deferred?

@Booksmart27 so you are saying being deferred is almost as good as being denied?

@ctamayo I don’t want to be a downer, but I think the “lifetime awards” section means how much money in your lifetime you have been given (scholarship/ grant) from UM, so as an incoming freshman it would only show how much is being offered for the freshman year- hence the 10K that it shows. I would guess the award for you is 10K total. I don’t think the lifetime awards section is referring to a different scholarship than the canes award - but for your sake I hope I am wrong.

@shelbiwin have you talk with admissions or FA about our concern? I am calling tomorrow morning but I was wondering if you did call them today and have an answer, are 2 diferentes amount the grant and the scholarship?

Hi, just wondering… Did she apply for the Summer Semester or Fall Semester?

@Northeasterngrad2X Wow - that is quite impressive. My daughter applied for architecture and sadly has been deferred. Do you mind sharing any specific stats for your daughter? Sounds like she is planning on majoring in architecture. Thanks in advance!

@14Maddox - wow that is amazing. Congratulations!!! Guess I will be anxiously waiting for the mailman tomorrow.

@Ctamayo no didn’t get a chance to call yesterday because I was traveling all day. But I got my scholarship letter in the mail with my admissions packet and I only received the amount listed under “Scholarships and Grants”, not “Scholarships and Grants” AND “Your Award Information” ?

Did anyone’s D or S receive an invite to apply for Lead Miami? They didn’t give her money but they want her to apply to be a leader on campus? So frustrating

@5OnTheHill
UW GPA 3.92
W GPA 5.11
SAT 1490 -780 math 710 EBRW
14 AP courses Including Physics, Calc AB and BC, and 2 AP studio art courses
3 AICE courses including AICE Art & Design
3 Dual enrollment courses
Strong resume and portfolio and good essays.

Yes she is set on Architecture as her intended major and only applied to universities offering either a 5 year B.Arch. or 4+2 B.A. plus M. Arch. program.

Tallahassee and you?

Any NMFs admitted to the class of 2024?

My DD was admitted to the Neuroscience program with a $20k/year Presidential scholarship. She is a NMF, 1550 SAT, 3.98uw/5.10w GPA, 17 AP/AICE/DE classes, top 2% rank (class of 700+). She also had several ECs including being President/leadership role in a few clubs, research internship experience, FL state science competition, tons of volunteering, etc. Since we are local, we did 2 campus visits to show demonstrated interest.

UM did not offer her any other premier scholarships and I’m puzzled as to what kind of criteria was used in their decision making. Not a word on Benacquisto. Of all the universities she applied to (big, small, T20), I honestly believe that the UM decision and notification process is probably the worst. You have to go through a treasure hunt to find stuff. There are also inconsistencies in the $ amounts between pages/tabs.

Does UM look at FAFSA and CSS Profile in making a decision on “merit” scholarships, especially for NMFs? Wish she knew up front, so wouldn’t have wasted the time to apply. She definitely would not qualify for “need based” scholarships.

Yes, mine. We are OOS. Also NMF 4.0 uw 4.4 w 1500 SAT 20K presidential no more