University of Miami Class of 2024

My son with a 3.9uw, 35 ACT, and National Hispanic Scholar got $5000. Miami was a top choice. We don’t qualify for financial aid and are not wealthy enough to pay the balance out of pocket.

Has anyone received an admission decision on a dual degree program application?

Yes - my daughter has a 35 ACT (Not super score), 4.0 uw, APs with 5s, tons of volunteer and leadership and offered presidential $20k but not premier or Foote fellow

Similar stats. No Foote means no go for her. She is admitted to Honors both at Tulane and NE with more merit money. Website is mediocre at best. The whole process is disappointing.

@Northeasterngrad2X Thanks for sharing. Those are impressive stats. My daughter is a bit below on GPA and SAT, but hoping she is still in the running. Architecture is a tough one for sure!

So from what we see posted in this site, UMiami admits GPAs > 3.8 at least, combined with SAT/ACT close to perfect. They are becoming more and more competitive every year. Impressive and scary!

@SolMar and @jdhMom what a bummer with UM , I agree with you guys the worst!! My son ended up with $10000 that’s it , he was also Hispanic Scholar and was supposedly in the “top of the applicants pool” and selected finalist for the Premiers … BS?

@SolMar Yes they did saw the FAFSA before giving out the merits which is completely unacceptable , we didn’t apply for FA but my FAFSA showed as reviewed. It definitely show that they are looking for a lot of full paying kids for all the new construction projects they have planned.

confused on selection process for these premier scholarships. Perhaps I didn’t show enough interest? Little did they know I would have chosen UM over all other schools because of location not even looking at prestige. Goodbye to this forum because there’s no way I can afford this school. I hope all of these overqualified students find a place to take their talent!

Where is the best place on campus to apply for housing for incoming freshman?

@newjerseysenior#2 Incoming freshmen will live in either Hecht towers or Mahoney/Pearson. I don’t know that incoming Freshmen can choose where they want to live- 2 years ago rooms were assigned and there was no choice of which room or dorm. If you can choose, then just know that they are tearing down Stanford towers which is near Hecht.

Deferred means that the school has decided to delay its decision. They may be waiting for Q2 grades or additional test scores before making a final decision. They are also comparing an EA student to the new group of Regular round applications that arrive in January. So, a deferral is better than a rejection, but many times schools defer a student to give them a “soft rejection.” They want to keep applications coming from their high school, especially when it’s a full pay demographic…I know, sad but very true. Hopefully, you get very good news this spring.

A student who is offered to be placed on the Wait List has met the standard for admission, but at this time there is no room available. As students begin to make decisions and submit their deposits, the school will be able to make estimates for enrollment. Deposits are due on May 1st, but often, schools call/email students to let them know they have a seat and have cleared their wait list.

Well, mine had a 33 ACT (34 superscore) 3.9 UW GPA tons of EC, did summer scholars, and got exactly no money. So it is very competitive, and no one should expect or assume that they are entitled to a specific amount of Merit award. It is what it is. It is becoming harder and harder to get in to this school and the merit awards reflect that. We were also told that they award based on geographical area, so if you are from one area you might get more merit than if you are from another area.

Stamps scholarships usually involve a face to face interview. Anyone know if the Stamps scholarships were awarded when acceptances went out (at same time as Singer and Hubbard)?

1 Like

Can any one chance my D for U Miami on regular decision and fin aid?

My D got a letter from U Miami telling her that she did not make it in Early Action last week.

They said they would consider her for the Regular admission. She is a 3.46 UW, 4,46 W, 1410 SAT, 11 AP, nominated by her school for Silver Knight.

She already has admission into Penn State, Urbana Champaign, Rutgers, UCF (10K scholarship + Bright futures = free), University of Houston ( enough scholarship to make it instate fees).

@Trolleydolly @Ctamayo @jdhMom @Adj

The least UM could do is to have a consistent application/schoalrship review process. Last year they did not consider applicants for premier scholarships without a FAFSA application (I know one that was impacted by this). This year, filling out a FAFSA puts the applicants at a disadvantage if they are pursuing non-need based merit scholarships.

With several colleges rolling out the red carpet for top applicants, it is UM’s loss, especially if the applicants are in-state and will help them with the yield. UM could definitely benefit from someone like Luke van Blaricom at UCF.

Terms and Conditions
Scholarship recipients must complete a full-time undergraduate program of study with no fewer than 12 credit hours during each of the fall and spring semesters for a minimum of 24 credit hours per academic year. A minimum of a 3.0 GPA for the academic year must be maintained at the University of Miami, with the initial calculation at the end of the second semester of attendance. The award is subject to revision pending receipt of any grant, scholarship, or prepaid tuition and/or housing aid not anticipated at the time the award is made. Visit our Terms and Conditions page for additional information.

Is there anyone that still has not heard that applied for Early Action? My son had everything submitted on time, but neither an acceptance, rejection nor deferral.

@Northeasterngrad2X the Florida EASE Grant (FL resident) $2,841 - did you fill out an application for that? Was that in the portal? I never heard of this. Thanks

https://finaid.miami.edu/types-of-aid/florida-aid-programs/index.html

They told us about it when we were on the tour.

Any guess on if ED2 will come out early given that EA came out about a week early? If so, could be next week?