University of Miami Class of 2027 Official Thread

We’ll find out more when we visit!

2 Likes

Does anyone know how likely it is to get a single in Stanford as a freshman?

Also, it didn’t seem like you would need one to get around, given that there’s a transit stop right on the campus. When my son and I visited, it was easy to figure out. It would be so much easier than having to park somewhere, unless you have a particular need for one.

She won’t actually need a car on campus. Students tend to take the metro (station right next to campus) or ubers everywhere they want to go. She won’t miss it unless she wants to do weekend trips to the Keys or something.

As for housing, if your daughter is a non-local fall admit freshman, she is going to get housing. The only freshman that didn’t get housing this year were a few spring admits. But even among spring admits, the vast majority got housing. In her sophomore year… that’s a whole different deal. The teardown of the two towers has really pinched their housing inventory for sophomores and above. Most sophomores want to live off campus anyway, but the rental prices in the area have skyrocketed since the pandemic.

Will decisions maybe come early, considering that email they just sent out about having access to your portal?

If you were deferred:
When your school sent your Mid Year transcripts, did it appear on your portal as received with a date? I’m concerned that my DS’s portal doesn’t show it on the checklist.

1 Like

Mine does not either. High School uses Naviance and I know they posted the mid-term grades there. I’ve only seen 1 or 2 of the schools though that actually call it out on the application checklist. My attitude is that it’s there for them to get if they want to use it. A few months back I did have to reach out to the admissions counselor listed on the portal and found her very responsive so if it remains a concern for you that’s one path to validate.

1 Like

DS applied EA and was deferred. They sent out a similar email before EA announcements and if I recall it was several weeks before. Anything is possible but if it was 3/18 last year I would expect 3/17 this year. They also post on their Instagram when decisions are dropped (no warning, they just post when to check the portal) if that does anything to help you.

1 Like

We were at the admitted students day today and Admissions said that while it’s not totally official, they are estimating this year’s admit rate at 17%. Yikes.

2 Likes

oh god

2 Likes

Was admitted students day worth going to? My DD already committed. Is it really for those still trying to decide? Or for committed students as well?

It was for both. There were really good parts of it. We also attended the admitted student session and tour the next day (only 2 hours total) and found that informative (maybe even more so). That is another option as the admitted student days seems to fill pretty quickly.

Yes, for both types of students. It was definitely a lot of fun and well done. The student ambassadors were very enthusiastic and we were impressed with our daughter’s program presentation. (nursing) It was helpful in hearing first hand the issue with housing. (definitely a concern). I picked up a university newspaper and there was a whole article detailing the housing crunch.

1 Like

Was that tour on Monday?

1 Like

This, plus the unpredictability/unreliability in UM meeting our FA need after year 1, is why my son is likely turning down his UM acceptance. :cry: Even if UM were financially affordable, the amount of stress to figure out housing is something that I (as a parent) don’t want to deal with, nor do I want my son to have to deal with it when he should be focusing on his studies. The U has a lot of great things going for it on the academic programming side, but if you have more affordable options at equally prestigious schools (that guarantee FA & 4 years of housing), it’s just not worth the hassles & the price tag IMO.

1 Like

I’d be lying if I didn’t say that the whole “1 year meeting FA” thing wasn’t a concern but feel like people make too big of a deal about it. Their 1 year retention rate is 92% which is pretty darn good. If they were dropping FA substantially you’ve have a lot of people that couldn’t afford the second year and that retention rate would be substantially lower. It would also be hugely bad PR for the college.

The housing thing - personally - is of much greater concern.

Here’s the thing – we got good FA for year 1 because we have 2 in college for next year. But, I’d need a “pre-read” from FA office to determine what the FA would be for years 2-4 – will it be close to our EFC & what we’ve been paying at the 2 other “meet full need” schools our older kids have attended that don’t count home equity for much, or will it be full pay because we own a home in Calif? This is also complicated by the FAFSA being completely overhauled next year (getting rid of EFC & replacing it with SAI), so how wil UM calculate FA – continue using their own internal methodology with the CSS? Then add housing to the unpredictability & UM is sadly not for us.

2 Likes

I hear ya! Lots of what-if’s and re-calculations, etc. Definitely a concern for any college that we need to rely on the aid to make anywhere close to realistic. I wasn’t trying to advocate for UM - was just taking the position that their retention rates suggest they make it work out, at least for most.

2 Likes

Yes they off er admitted student tours in the afternoon