University of Miami Class of 2027 Official Thread

Hi! I am a BSN applicant and I got deferred…may I ask what were ur daughters stats to get in? do you know the bsn acceptance rate or how many spots they have in the program?

Hi there. I don’t believe they said what the BSN acceptance rate was, but that it was very competitive. Overall acceptance rate is predicted to be at 17%. Her stats:
4.0/4.4 (unless they recalculate, which would probably make it higher)
ACT 34 (36 in science, not sure if that boosted her)
Lots of leadership, sports, volunteering, shadowing, etc.
Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

1 Like

do you think they are REALLY gonna hold out until 4/1?

it says by 4/1

1 Like

If you go by last year we could likely see a good portion of decisions go out 3/17 (3/18 last year).

2 Likes

thank you so much im super grateful for your reply. Does your daughter know other people who have gotten into the program? Im worried since I got deferred if I do end up getting in it will be just to the school not the nursing program

1 Like

We’re (way) out of state, so she only knows one other person from her high school who was even admitted. There was not a huge group in our session on Sunday. There were different degrees you can get within nursing, Health Science, Public Health and traditional BSN. Hope it works out for you!

But if both kids share an apartment it would be cheaper than in-campus housing. You could get a 2/2 for low 2000’s in Kendall, 5 min on the metro.

RD comes out Saturday

1 Like

thanks! did u email?

no… my college counselor told me

1 Like

Cost is obviously a big factor when considering off-campus housing, but I also have a question about school spirit/community/culture etc. If the vast majority of kids live off campus - and increasingly farther away to find something vaguely affordable - is the school not at risk of having more of a “commuter school” feel? I have another child who is a senior at a large public college. Likewise she was only guaranteed housing for one year, but the off-campus options are plentiful, filled with other college kids, and an easy walk from campus - in many cases closer to classroom buildings than many dorms. Even if the metro ride from places like Kendall is short, this just feels different. Does anyone know how Miami combats this? Or is this not an issue for the students?

To answer specifically how Miami combats it (if they even care?) - I can’t.

But to the “commuter school feel” - I often feel like it’s misnamed. Auburn university only houses ~20% of its student body but ~45% of its student body is OOS. So nights and weekends it’s not a mass exodus from the town. Most state schools are heavily in-state students so even if they house a high % of the student body on weekends the tendency is for many of them to go home.

So Miami according to their website can house 5,400 which should be slightly less than 50% of enrollment and ~65% of their student body is from OOS - I would say that’s definitely NOT “commuter school dynamic”.

The housing issue is that you have so many OOS kids (plus the in-state kids that want to live on campus!) and even though you have a LOT of housing capacity it’s still not enough - especially considering the off-campus rates.

1 Like

I would think of a commuter feel as a campus that empties out (to some degree) at night, with most students going home, even if their apartment is not far from campus. It would feel the same whether those students were from in or out of state. If less than 50% can live on campus it’s a fair question, but if there are still 5400 on site, it may still feel vibrant and active.

Check out residency of most campuses… 50% is pretty high.

so i visited umiami recently (not for undergrad admission, but to tour the school/the surrounding area nonetheless) and spoke with some undergrads, so maybe i can provide some insight. as far as school spirit goes, umiami does not lack it at all. that’s one thing i found really nice about the school. you couldn’t walk 20ft without seeing someone wearing orange/green or something school/sports-related.

in terms of community/culture goes, i will very much say that as hard as i tried, i could not really shake the “commuter school” vibe. however, i do want to stress that i think i got that vibe because i’m coming from an undergrad where virtually all students lived in on-campus housing, and if it wasn’t on-campus housing, it was housing a block or two from the school. it’s a little difficult to explain, but i do not feel like the school itself combats it, i think the students do. a majority of students live in houses off-campus and university-affiliated off-campus apartments, and this is what i think combats it. when you’re in a community of other students who are attending the same school as you, you don’t really get the “commuter school” vibe (even if you are having to commute lmao). it was very much a different vibe i got than i would get at, say, a california state school. so in my opinion yes it’s there, but not in the way that you would think (and not something that i think is problematic at all tbh).

3 Likes

Does anyone know when decisions come out?

Know with certainty? No - well, I suppose UM Admissions does. :slight_smile:

Based on years past it’s a good chance this coming Friday night.

Okay thank you:)

UM is not a commuter school. Most of the students live on campus and the ones who live off-campus live basically across the street or close by. Remember it’s a research university with plenty of graduate programs and graduate students also live off-campus. My daughter did both undergrad and graduate school at UM and even though she did commute, it never felt like a “commuter school”.

4 Likes