University of Miami Class of 2027 Official Thread

Thank you for the info!

2 Likes

12,036 students admitted but 13,095 waitlisted.
4,643 accepted spots on waitlist
13 accepted from waitlist
2021-22 stats

By using yield protection and rejecting the super high quality students that do NOT apply ED1 or ED2 (where yield is 100%) schools are trying to increase their yield to move up in the rankings by accepting students in RD who might have that school as the highest ranked school that they get intoā€¦so they will accept and increase yield.

They donā€™t want to accept stellar students through RD because most go elsewhere.

Only 12% of Miamiā€™s class is filled through RD (from campus tour).

If their yield is only 22% including ALL those students they accepted through ED1 and ED2 which is 100%, then imagine how low the RD yield is to give an overall yield of 22%. Super low. I know one of you can actually calculate that for us lol.

So donā€™t sweat it yā€™all. It is all part of the ā€œjoyā€ of college application season.

UMiami is NOT a commuter school. All their CAMPUS housing is full and many students live in the surrounding apartment complexes near/around campus. They are building new dorms and plan to upgrade others so housing is in transition and will be for the next couple of years. School pride and spirit is very high.

Here are the 2022-23 stats. My post above was 2021-22

Accepted 9931 (way down from 12036 a year earlier)
Waitlisted 20,206 (way up from 13095 a year earlier)
Accepted to be on waitlist 8,545
Accepted from waitlist 115 (way up from 13 a year earlier)
Yield up to 25% by accepting much fewer students and using waitlist more. Yield protection is working! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My daughter was deferred ED then admitted spring.

3 Likes

Anyone waiting to hear about merit and Frost, check your portals. there was no notification or letter but the financial page has been updated to reflect awards. Good luck!

2 Likes

UMiami will get more than 50K apps this year. Its not possible to not have rejections.

Deferred EA waitlisted now. Hard to explain to a kid who is involved in every activity top of her class. 4.5 gpa
4 year varsity athlete
2 year junior captain
President student counsel
Started club senior year
Club, volunteered hours, how do you explain that all your hard work was worth it?
And others that donā€™t even compare to your stats get in???

4 Likes

Son was accepted into Frost! So, he went through a different application process than the U overall. However, for reference, he has a 3.95 UW, bilingual, ECs music centered, no test scores submitted.

1 Like

Did she submit a test score? It does seem very odd that she didnā€™t get accepted.

1 Like

i had a 1460 sat and i got waitlisted :dotted_line_face:

Son deferred EA and now waitlisted.

son deferred EA as well and now waitlisted, if he does get in prob way too much $$, he was accepted to UF so he is not overly upset, OOS

Waitlisted from NY
1530 SAT
4.6 W
1 Varsity Sport
Many ECā€™s and Community Service hours
4 years of band
Developed annual fundraising event

Son admitted for Spring after EA deferral. Reading the stats above he certainly must have written something they like as his GPA was nothing like above, 35 ACT.

2 Likes

Son deferred EA now waitlisted, 33 ACT, Aice Diploma and AA degree, 8Aice, 8AP and 6DE 5 years of baseball 4 on varsity. Accepted at UCF as a JR waiting on decision from UF to come in as a JR on the Math program.

Yield protection to advance in the rankings

2 Likes

Please read my posts above with stats to your kid and let them know that they are amazing and that Miami doesnā€™t want to give them a spot that they donā€™t accept (like the other 78-83% of students they admit). There are kids getting full tuition merit scholarships from Vandy and getting waitlisted at Miami. I know rankings arenā€™t the be all and end allā€¦but full tuition merit from #13 but waitlisted at #55ā€¦ya Iā€™m good with calling yield protection on that.

4 Likes

The problem is that one AP score of 4. Makes them not Miami material. NOT! Your kid is a star! Please see my posts below. Nothing is missing. Blatant yield protection.

3 Likes

Agree, this is not anything that should take away from those amazing accomplishments. Help your child celebrate their acceptances and great opportunities. Remind them to enjoy the rest of Senior year!

4 Likes