University of Miami Diversity Info

<p>Hey Everyone! I was wondering about the diversity at UM. I know that it is well know for being diverse. But is there a decent amount of Blacks/African Americans there? The school I go to atm is about 3 percent black. I've really seen all the blacks on campus there is to see already. I was wondering if the diversity in that sense was a little higher.</p>

<p>There are three black people on my floor of 38… that’s 7% on my floor. Lots of the basketball players and football players are black or latino. The diversity here is pretty extensive, though not in that regard so much, I don’t think… it comes largely from international students and to some degree from Florida’s large Cuban population. There are lots of Chinese international students, as well as European and Middle Eastern students. UM is, I believe, actually rated #1 for class/culture interactions…</p>

<p>From the link UMiami Fast Facts.</p>

<p>They list 10% Black/African American</p>

<p>[Fast</a> Facts | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,29532-1;36206-2;41088-3,00.html#re]Fast”>http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,29532-1;36206-2;41088-3,00.html#re)</p>

<p>Thank you sooo much all! I just want to make sure that the school I’m trying to transfer into is the right one. I’m use to diversity and wonderful interactions between the races. My high school was very close to a “utopia” with race relations and diversity. I loved it! But in my current university all the races generally keep to themselves. I plan to try out for track or tennis (still deciding) if I get in. But I want to make sure that interactions between the races is a positive one and that most people don’t just stick to their own without trying to learn from each other.</p>

<p>From the Princeton Review:</p>

<p>The Best 371 Colleges
Demographics: Lots of Race/Class Interaction
Do different types of students (Black/White, rich/poor) interact frequently and easily?</p>

<h1>1 in nation:</h1>

<p>University of Miami</p>

<p>[Test</a> Prep: GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, SAT, ACT, and More](<a href=“Lots of Race/Class Interaction | The Princeton Review”>Lots of Race/Class Interaction | The Princeton Review)</p>

<p>I’d say UM is pretty diverse…economically i don’t think so much. My freshman floor gets along pretty well tho. But just as a sample…</p>

<p>40 kids.
2 blacks. 4 hispanics. 1 from Panama, 1 from Belgium, 1 from Paris. about 12 from florida. 10 from NJ/NY/CT. Others from Iowa, Chicago, Ohio, Tennessee, Arkansas. So it’s pretty racially/geographically diverse but idk about economically. everyone seems pretty wealthy on my floor (although this is only an assumption and you can’t count ppls money).</p>