Let Me Repeat "U of Miami is Very Diverse"!

<p>It seems the reputation of Miami students being a bunch of rich snobs is hard to kill. This question gets asked repeatedly each year by prospective students. Those of us on this blog who have actually attended Miami or have kids that have attended Miami answer over and over again that you find all types at Miami. It is a VERY DIVERSE school!!! Here are some quotes from College *******:</p>

<p>"Miami has so many different ethnicities represented that students coming from non-diverse backgrounds may feel uncomfortable at first. As the numbers prove, only half of the students in most classes will be white. This is a great experience for students of any ethnicity. It basically forces you to understand different cultures and people from various backgrounds. It’s especially interesting to hear what students from other countries write in English class when culture plays a major part. There are also various religions represented. Christian clubs are popular, as are other religious organizations like Hillel. Homosexual students will also feel right at home, especially in South Beach, a hotspot for gay culture. Don’t come to Miami expecting to be surrounded by the same people you would at a school in Iowa. UM is one of the most diverse campuses in the nation, and some students find this to be the best thing about life in Miami."</p>

<p>"University of Miami boasts one of if not the most diverse campus in the country. We have students from every single state and more than 120 countries. When I walk to class, I often hear AT LEAST one other language besides Spanish and English. My friends are from all over the country and a few are from the other side of the world. I really get to know people who have grown up in completely different environments than me. I go to a school that pretty accurately represents the population of the nation as a whole, not just the region in which it is located."</p>

<p>Princeton Review named U of Miami the best in the nation for race/class interaction. </p>

<p>University</a> of Miami</p>

<p>As for the "everyone is rich" notion, just look at the FA figures on College Board:</p>

<p>Financial Aid Statistics</p>

<p>Full-time freshman enrollment: 2,106
Number who applied for need-based aid: 1,402
Number who were judged to have need: 1,094
Number who were offered aid: 1,094</p>

<p>So, the freshmen class had 2,106 students, of which 1,402 applied for aid! If you are rich you DO NOT apply for financial aid!</p>

<p>67% of incoming freshmen applied for aid and 52% were determined to have need. </p>

<p>This goes completely against the reputation. </p>

<p>I'll repeat this one also:</p>

<p>You find rich (some snobby, some not) students at ALL private schools!!!! </p>

<p>Could someone give us a sticky on this subject, please!!!??</p>

<p>thanks for the input. My D is still deciding-U of M vs USD. No real worries about snobs, as we live in snobsville and call it home :slight_smile: Wondering more about the attentiveness by teachers. Does it retain a small school feel and still offer the variety that she seeks? We didn’t get much money, so it’s a costly decision vs USD. Insights welcome!!</p>

<p>Most of my daughter’s classes have been between 15 and 25 students. The professors know them all by name and are very interested in the students, as is the entire administration. My daughter has had many teachers give the class their cell phone numbers so they can call with questions at any time. She regularly runs into them on campus and stops to chat with them. If your daughter is interested in research or internships, than Miami is the place for them as it is very easy to find these opportunities if you put in a little effort.</p>

<p>75% of classes have less than 25 people, 50% of classes have less than 16 people. I’m about to go in to a class that has 7 people, and I have a lab class with 6 people in it.</p>

<p>So classes can be really small, but there are also large classes… mainly the intro level classes.</p>

<p>But every teacher I have this semester knows me by name.</p>

<p>Um yea, it’s diverse… but what about this quote right here?</p>

<p>“There are a lot of foreign kids, but they all stick together. Those who are from China are often made fun of by UM students which I thought was very cruel.”</p>

<p>Taken from <a href="http://www..com/university_of_miami/reviews/24033/%5B/url%5D">http://www..com/university_of_miami/reviews/24033/</a></p>

<p>It’s really all up to YOU. If you don’t want to interact with people who are foreign, you don’t have to.</p>

<p>But I, personally, have good friends from China, Germany, Argentina, Venezuela, Japan and India.</p>

<p>Furthermore, I’ve never heard of anyone making fun of Chinese students in a serious manner. Sometimes I joke with my Chinese friends about Chinese people (“Why do you all major in business?” “So, how does dog taste?” “How come you’re not getting an A+ in your math class?”</p>

<p>UM is incredibly diverse. Unless you purposely go out of your way to avoid interacting with people of other nationalities, cultures, religions, and socioeconomic statuses, you WILL interact with people who are very different from you.</p>

<p>Furthermore, for every quote like the one you pointed out, you will note that there are many quotes which say the exact opposite. Even more, that review, in general, seemed to be by a person who had some sort of grudge against UM, and made blatantly false statements. Generally speaking, if someone writes a whole sentence in caps, it’s a good idea to take what they have to say with a grain of salt; they’re probably reacting to an emotional situation, rather than thinking about what they have to say.</p>

<p>Come and visit Miami for yourself, and you’ll quickly see the truth of the situation.</p>