University of Nebraska: climate & culture

My son has been admitted to the University of Nebraska with significant scholarship- would cost far less as an out of state student compared to attending our in-state, Big 10. Any feedback on the climate & culture of UNL? He’s looking for a Big 10 experience & all that goes along with that

Nebraska hasn’t lived up to Big 10 football since it joined the Big 10, but the atmosphere in Lincoln on a football weekend is pretty over the top. It is the only event in Nebraska and everyone drives for hours to get there. My friend’s sister had to plan her wedding around the football schedule because there are no hotel rooms available on football weekends.

I went to the CU/Neb game in Boulder in 2019. It was the loudest sporting event I’ve ever been to and a sea of red. Nebraska fans are known for buying season tickets to CU just to go to one game. They travel in their RVs all over the country. I worked for a Neb alum and his wife once asked, “Can we ever go on a vacation that doesn’t involve my family, your family, or the U of Nebraska football team?”

I think he’ll find football to be everything he hopes it will be.

1 Like

Thanks for that feedback! He was hoping for that lively atmosphere & Greek life, etc.