University of Pennsylvania Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

This year, the Early Decision (ED) deadline for the University of Pennsylvania is November 1.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

1 Like

Is anyone else EDing to the Huntsman Program in the Wharton School? Or just the Wharton School?

Are most people getting interview requests right away?

I am!!

2 Likes

My son applied ED and received a likely letter two days ago!!

I thought they only start reviewing applications after the November 1st deadline?

Congratulations! Is your son a recruited athlete?

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

are you international?

Has anyone gotten this today? I have already applied, and gotten my portal info - and I dont have any outstanding stuff to submit, but I just got this email, its so weird…anyone else get this, as if they didnt get the application materials?

Thank you for your interest in Penn!
Once we receive your application, you should gain access to your Penn Applicant Portal within 48 hours. In your portal will be a checklist of items required as part of your application.
Only your application and Penn supplement are due by the November 1 deadline.
Our office receives materials through our system once a day. Therefore, your checklist may show materials as received on the day after you submitted them. This will not affect your application.
If you are applying for financial aid, your financial aid checklist will appear on your portal within 48 hours. Financial aid documents take time to process, so please give the financial aid office time to complete your checklist as materials come in. Please note that documents submitted to the financial aid office after the deadline will still be considered, and you will not be disqualified from receiving financial aid.
We ask that you hold off on following up with us about missing items until next week.
We know this can be a stressful time, and we appreciate your patience as we work to process a large volume of materials and documents in the coming days.

Sincerely,
Penn Admissions

Yes I am

S23 got it, too, even though all materials have been marked as received. I think they just sent it out to all ED applicants.

oh sorry I thought you were responding to the comment about alumni interviews! I was just wondering if anyone had gotten interview requests yet…

1 Like

thanks - it made my heart skip a beat that maybe they didnt receive everything! Did your son get his interview request yet?

No, not yet! They just received everything a couple of days ago.

Best of luck to you!

you too sending good luck vibes!

A word about alumni interviews:

What Penn Looks for in Interviews

Interview offers will likely be made over the next few weeks. Don’t worry if you don’t receive an offer to interview. Interview offers are subject to volunteer availability and not having an interview won’t be held against you in review.

1 Like

Curious how much they weigh interviews (no matter their “official” stances)

C7 of the Penn Common Data Set lists interviews as “important.” However, not everyone will get an interview so I think it’s just another data point for them to consider. You’ll notice the CDS lists standardized test scores as “very important,” but Penn is test-optional this cycle. So, if one submits a score—great!—another data point, but they won’t hold it against applicants who don’t submit scores. I think it’s the same for interviews.

There was a lot of discussion about interviews in last year’s admission thread too. You can search through it to see how applicants fared (interview vs non-interview).

2 Likes

Based on what I’ve been told by two people I know who have worked in admissions (one at an Ivy (not Penn) and at another T-10)… interviews don’t help much. But they can hurt!

If the interviewer’s feedback raises red flags or indicates “really not a fit for our school”, that will receive serious consideration. But positive feedback doesn’t really move the needle. In other words, a great interview won’t be the reason an applicant who otherwise would have been rejected, gets accepted. Corollary: someone who got in, didn’t get in only because of their interview.

Those familiar with the unseemly origins of holistic admissions will know what the original purpose of interviews was; and while that has changed, interview feedback is still used more often to weed out candidates rather than to discover hidden gems.

6 Likes