University of Pennsylvania Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

So sorry

Right — no data from which to derive conclusions. Legacy admit rates are not typically released by any schools even when general admit rates are shared. When we get such data, it comes from legal discovery (the Harvard ligation now with SCOTUS).

The only new fact is your account of what a regional rep said. That’s new info and the only attributable evidence of a change.

I am not saying legacy admission rates have remained constant. I am saying people were drawing conclusions without good evidence of a policy shift.

3 Likes

How disappointing for your son. Recruitment is never a sure thing in the Ivy League with AOs not coaches making the decisions. Hopefully, he has other athletic/academic matches he is excited about.

CC forums are a valuable source of information for students and parents. I’ve learned a lot from fellow posters over the years. In the interest of helping future forum visitors, please consider sharing your stats and outcome.

7 Likes

I personally think changing the legacy description/evaluation on the admissions page is a pretty big statement. Considering it had remained the same for years.

2 Likes

Has anyone ever seen or heard of any Burmese (Myanmar) students in UPenn?

For clarification, alum and interviewer for 20+ years here, the idea that “all athletes choose Wharton” is a silly, incorrect comment. Athletes in all Penn schools.

3 Likes

The RD acceptance rate for deferrals this year is expected to be 10%

Omg, how did this happen? Did you get any feedback from the coach? I believe this is strong anecdotal evidence of Penn’s quiet shift away from supporting legacy applicants. For those saying there’s no data and no announcement and therefore it hasn’t occurred: Penn has not announced this change to alumni - there’s been a real lack of transparency.

Do not send to your regional rep. Follow the directions on the portal. LOCI should be uploaded to the portal.

I’ve been an alumni interviewer for over 10 years and have to agree.

1 Like

Penn never gives that data to Alumni interviewers, but 17% of applicants were deferred this year. The rest were admitted to denied. Of those deferred, 10% will be accepted in the RD cycle (not 16%, as stated elsewhere on here).

3 Likes

Sigh. I will repeat myself. I have not said it is not occurring, I have said there is no admissions data demonstrating a reduction in legacy admits. I do not have the information to draw hard conclusions. No one does. Blame it on lack of transparency, but here we are. As someone on this site likes to say, data is not the plural of anecdote.

1 Like

@smiledr6 Wow
that must have been hard to believe. Did your son receive a likely letter in October? Did he contact the coach after the deferral to see what happened?

@tannerm1 Where did you see the deferral rate for this year? I haven’t seen it listed. Thanks!

No likely letter but was in constant contact with coach up until week before decisions. Academic pre-read by admissions was a go. Spoke with coach with no real answers other than several recruits were outright rejected and he is unsure of what’s going on. Coach is still fully supporting him for RD so fingers crossed.

Interesting:

1. Penn does not release data an what percent of ED are deferred.
  2. If the regional rep is right at saying 10% of deferrals will be RD admitted this is a significant drop from the published number that is published at 15-16% deferrals being admitted.
  3. The issue of legacy admissions falling is in line with Penn wanting to be more holistic and in line with other places like Hopkins. Coincidentally more anecdotal stories with the New Dean coming on and fewer legacy admits but there are no published number. It’s a balancing act between being more “fair” and risking alumni support (which in most cases doesn’t matter unless they are big donors or very involved in alumni affairs).
1 Like

Where did you see 17% were deferred? Are you sure is wasn’t 17% admitted in the ED round which is more in line with prior years published numbers?

1 Like

says right here 16% of deferrals (don’t know how many deferrals are made) gain admission in RD

The difference is that Hopkins announced publicly in was dropping the legacy preference.