University of Pennsylvania Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

TBH higher for CAS applicants

There is no data Iā€™m aware of supporting the idea that recruited athletes or legacy admits are over represented in CAS. For reference, more than 60% of all Penn undergraduates are in CAS. Wharton and CEAS have approximately 16% each, and the rest are in Nursing.

1 Like

Anecdotally, the recruited athletes from our school all chose Wharton.

Agree. I am an alum and current parent, most recruited athletes can choose whatever school they want, and choose Wharton.

Last year the number of legacy admits ED decreased significantly. Whitney Soule is apparently trying to move away from legacies unfortunately (IMO). However, a decent number of legacy kids who were deferred did get in RD, including my kid.

3 Likes

Yes, this is her second admissions cycle, and there may be downward pressure on the legacy admits, if you go by anecdotes on this site from legacy families. The problem is, thereā€™s no data Iā€™m aware of regarding the legacy admission rates for Pennā€™s Class of 2026, which would be the first (and, at this date, only) group sheā€™s shaped.

If, as expected, SCOTUS strikes down race as a consideration in admissions decisions, we will likely see dramatic changes in admissions priorities, especially on the legacy front at Penn and other selective schools.

Just curious how you think the SC decision will affect legacy admissions? I donā€™t see how the 2 are related. Thx!

Because depending on the historic make up of a schoolā€™s alumni, legacy admissions may disproportionately advantage wealthier families and white students. According to a 2019 paper from the National Bureau of Economic Research, 70% of Harvardā€™s legacy applicants were white. If affirmative action goes away, it will be harder to defend and retain legacy preferences if diversity remains a goal.

Thereā€™s a very active discussion about this elsewhere on CC:

1 Like

Hello, My name is Jerry Majok, Iā€™m a South Sudanese. I applied to UPenn early decision and I have had a lot of troubles daring to complete my css profile. A non-custodial parent must filled out a form in college board in order to complete my CSS profile but I do not have a non-custodial parent. When my parents divorced, my mom abandoned me and fled the community, and up to today, I do not know her whereabouts meanwhile my dad died of bone cancer just after their divorced. Please what can I do for this matter. I contacted the financial aid team and they have not responded to my email since a week ago. I sincerely need help here!

So sorry for your troubles. I think you should start a new thread on the main board. There are parents there who know a lot about financial aid and they might be able to help you. They wonā€™t see your question here in this thread.

1 Like

It was a long weekend. So, they may respond soon.

I think, in absence of your parents, whoever is your legal guardian (as per your countryā€™s laws) can file CSS for you. If you are in orphanage or some other care taking facility that is recognized by your Government, you can have them sign as your legal guardian.

Paging @kelsmom for assistance with CSS profile question upthread.

This is a question I am not able to answer. CSS rules are different than FAFSA rules, and itā€™s possible that UPenn will have an answer for this student that is based on the studentā€™s unique situation. You might try contacting UPennā€™s international student office for assistance. They wonā€™t necessarily be able to answer the question, but they may be able to help you get the answer. Best wishes.

1 Like

Hello, I have applied for bioengineering with 3.90 UW/4.26 W, ACT super score 36. Volunteer community service/leadership at school clubs etcā€¦ I had the alumni interview on Nov 22nd.

When will be the ED decision will be released?

Last year, it was on Thursday, December 16 at 7PM. They announced the release date via email and a portal update a week in advance. If the pattern holds, expect notice of the release date by the 9th and a decision by the following Thursday night. (Things can always change, however.)

Dates for ED always change

Not so much in recently. The earliest release date in recent years was December 13, 2018, and if you look at the way the calendar fell and the position of the weekends and the proximity of the holiday, you can see why it was earlier. For the past three years, it has consistently been December 16th at 7PM.

Could that change this year? Yes, of course!

It would be difficult to move it out, though. Penn typically expects ED offers to be accepted in the first week of January, and that sets off a scramble, especially in the financial aid office, as some accepted students appeal their packages. Thereā€™s a holiday shutdown in the middle of all this.

Regardless, the main advice to ED applicants at Penn is this: check your portal, and check your email. It will be good practice, because if you get in, portals and emails are how you will receive important news from the school for the next four years of your academic lives.

1 Like

Nice! Good luck! Probably on the 15th-16th

Do different colleges at Penn have the same admissions team and criteria? I have heard that SEAS will have a higher acceptance rate than AS and Warton

Yeah IDK about that, but its defo more difficult to get into Wharton although some Penn students told me differently (Wharton Acc rate ~= SEAS ~= CAS)

2 Likes