University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

My DS received an invitation to interview for chancellor scholarship through honors college. Isn’t Chancellor only for PA residents? We are OOS.

2 Likes

It’s an Invite for a few students accepted into honors college
Has nothing to do w residency

4 Likes

Thanks. good to know.

2 Likes

When did that invite come through? I thought they were all sent awhile ago…

1 Like

My DS received it 2 days ago.

5 Likes

Best of luck. Great odds for this particular full ride, prepare well!

2 Likes

Congratulations for the invite and good luck! I believe your daughter was also applying for the medicine GAP program. Any word on that as well?

Thank you! It’s my son :blush: He turned out to be one of the finalists for the Med school and did his interview with med school yesterday. :crossed_fingers: at this point.

3 Likes

Oh sorry! I can’t always keep it straight and you did just write DS. Old age. :wink:

But yes, best of luck for all of it! The GAP program is a great opportunity, as is the Chancellor’s. Together, it would be awesome!

3 Likes

I’ve seen on other threads like Zeemee that all of Pitt’s seats have been committed to for the class of 2027. I know that they are out of spots, but feel it’s improbable that all have been committed to already… Does anyone know the validity of this?

I don’t see how that’s possible for all seats to be committed. People are still waiting to hear from other colleges. Granted many may know Pitt is their #1. It’s just not logical that everyone would. Maybe they accepted too many candidates and will have a crisis on their hands, but that seems like jumping to conclusions.

3 Likes

And I’m sure there are still many (like my DD) who haven’t yet made a decision, but will likely not pick Pitt. Is her spot already counted as committed?

2 Likes

How can that be possible when kids have over a month left to make a decision and commit? A lot of schools haven’t sent out acceptances yet and kids are weighing their options.

1 Like

I don’t know the validity but I assume Pitt knows how many offers they have to send out to yield X number of students who accept.

It sounds like they think they’ll make their numbers based on those they’ve accepted and know that a certain percentage will go elsewhere.

2 Likes

Pitt has also stated they gave out all of their Tuition Exchange scholarships and won’t give out more even if some are declined. So, those who received them and don’t use them won’t be “opening up a spot” for another person.

Pitt has probably calculated how many are likely to accept their various offers. Certain schools–not sure if Pitt is one–spend money on data analytics to crunch the numbers and determine how much $$ they have to offer any given person to get them to attend in order to fill institutional priorities.

Pitt may have extended enough offers of admission to fill the freshman class given their predicted yield, but those seats are certainly not yet filled.

If yield looks to be lower than predicted as May 1 approaches, they could extend more offers, or they could go to the waitlist after May 1 if they find that it was indeed lower.

That said, Pitt has had higher than predicted yield and overenrolled classes for the last 2 years.

3 Likes

Please advise. My son is ready to commit to Pitt for Computer Science. We are OOS. He got some grants, $12K worth (very grateful), but will change in his 2nd year because I’m now working full time.

My son got the “Please let us know where Pitt stands in your decision process” email. My son selected “Pitt is one of my top choices but I’m not 100% sure.” Then the form asked him, “please indicate the reason why you’re not 100% sure and what info do you need in order to make a decision (I’m paraphrasing),” and he selected “Financial Aid.” My son proceeded to add that he would like merit to make Pitt affordable. But he didn’t indicate amount. My son filled this form out himself. He then got an email - a form generated one - saying someone from Admissions will contact him via email (he indicated email is best way to contact him).

It’s been two days, I think, and so far no email. Are we waiting in vain? My husband said to wait it out and see if Pitt can give my son merit, but I’m antsy and want my son to secure his place!

What would you all do?

3 Likes

You have until May 1, right? No need to rush.

2 Likes

Your son should call admissions as well as the Financial Aid office. Follow up with them. You can ask FA to review their offer.

True, just feeling a bit unsettled, I guess.