University of Tennessee Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Anyone know of any way to check to see for a possible acceptance - Penn State was eay to check by putting in your portal sign in info into their “Lionpath” website for accepted students - does UTenn have anything similar???

It’s almost 6pmET so if they were going to release it would be within the next hour.

Also my D got an email today from the AO saying the honors and scholarship info would be released with EA decisions.

1 Like

Did your daughter email asking about honors/scholarships or was it just sent from the school?

1 Like

It was just sent but she said it was a blanket email.

2 Likes

Thanks! My son applied for one of the honors programs but didn’t get that email (and we were actually wondering if they released decisions with admission or sometime later). Hopefully that’s not bad news for him!

1 Like

It’s probably because we don’t have the same AO if we’re not in the same region. I wouldn’t read into it at all.

1 Like

UT is experiencing record growth in undergraduate first-year applications and the most competitive applicant pool in our 228-year history. For Fall 2023 entry, UT received 38,483 applications by the November 1 Early Action deadline, a 43.2% increase and 11,601 more applications compared to 2021.

Growth in applications and increased retention and persistence rates among continuing students mean that overall undergraduate enrollment is projected to continue to see strong growth in Fall 2023. To deliver the best Volunteer experience for all students across all four years and in course offerings, residential experience, and student life, UT will reduce the size of its first-year class and enroll fewer first-year students than last fall. Because UT will be enrolling a smaller first-year class, fewer students will be admitted in the first and second admissions release, with more students invited to join a waitlist following the second release.

3 Likes

Ugh

3 Likes

Although I’m glad they released this info ahead of decisions. It will help a little to make sense of decisions.

4 Likes

At this point, little doubt that the Tennessee admissions office is doing all it can to prepare lots of Early Action applicants for a reality check on the evening of 12/20.

I guess that folks were right about that 8-0 start to the football season driving a lot of interest in Tennessee this year.

8 Likes

Well, that makes this a little bit more nerve wracking.

1 Like

November 1 Application Statistics

• 38,483 applications received by November 1, 2022 (+43.2% increase compared to 2021)
  • Applications from all 95 Tennessee counties, 448 Tennessee high schools, 50 states, 6,326 US high schools, 54 countries
  • 9,609 In-state apps (+15.9% increase since 2021)
  • 28,874 Out-of-state apps (+55.3% increase since 2021)
  • 22–29 Mid 50% Self-Reported Composite ACT (1110-1340 SAT Equivalent)
  • 3.64–4.32 Mid 50% UT Core Weighted GPA
  • Top 5 majors requested on the application: Nursing, Marketing, Finance, Biological Sciences, Psychology

The next question is how much smaller will the 1st year class be?

1 Like

For applicants waiting for a decision tomorrow, I thought this was a nicely laid out report on the 5-year trend of entering classes (link below).

Yes, the application numbers are up significantly, but note that the ACT range (22-29) for the applicant pool is lower than the range for recent enrolled classes (25-31) and the avg UTK core weighted GPA looks roughly in line. So, the pool of applicants is way up, but the overall quality of who gets admitted may still end up being relatively in line with prior year admitted classes.

5 Likes

I am wondering if they will keep enrollment around 5000 as in past years. I know that there is a huge housing issue there.

It is interesting that Tenn is one of the few school requiring test scores. That might be why such a big range.

I do think they will give in state priority this round which is not my kid.

3 Likes

@Mom62

Prior to last year’s record freshman enrollment of 6,846, Tennessee had been steadily increasing the freshman class size from roughly 4,900 in 2017 to roughly 5,900 in 2021. (See link below.) Based on the admissions office update about reducing 2023’s incoming freshman class size, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re targeting somewhere between 5,600 - 6,000 new enrollees, which would be in line with the prior 5-years, and might help address the on-campus housing crunch too. Probably not a reach to say that the 6,800+ new enrollees last year caught the entire campus by surprise, not just the admissions office.

Based on the admissions office’s recent update, they said that total applications received thru Dec 12 were up 43% vs. the same date from last year. Last year’s total applications were 36,290, so if the 43% year-over-year growth holds true, Tennessee’s looking at about 51-52K applications received this year.

Guessing this year’s acceptance rate might fall below 50% for the first time, maybe closer to 45% given the surge in applications. Probably a much tougher admit this year for Out of Staters.

https://oira.utk.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/66/2022/11/2022-23_Ten-Year-Trend-of-First-Time-Freshman-Applied-Admitted-and-Enrolled.pdf

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure they don’t give preference to in state. At least according to CDS as well as the admissions presentation we attended over the summer.

@COMom3 Thanks for noting that Tennessee claims to not give preference based on geographical region / state of residency. I’d blindly assumed that in-staters might get a small boost vs. out-of-staters.

2 Likes

In addition to the football program, I also think there’s a large contingent of kids who are no longer interested in schools overrun with extreme ideologies. They just want a solid education, have some fun, and make a lifetime of friends. Just my $0.02.

13 Likes