University of Utah Early Action Fall 2024

Jumping right in- OOS D24 already applied EA and for HC. Anyone else?

2 Likes

Exact same here! D24 OOS… Looks like decisions aren’t until January?

Yep. Jan 15th

How important is it to include the common app personal statement? Do they read it if it isn’t required? My daughter’s application is strong but her essay isn’t the greatest. She is applying pre-business and did write the business-specific short essay.

I don’t have any insider information, but I think Utah is like most big state flagships in regard to admissions. They’re mostly interested in grades, rigor, and test scores, and the essays are pretty far down the list. IIRC 3 years ago they didn’t even look at the common app essay and we were able to use it for the honors program.

Unless her essay is absolute garbage, I’d include it.

Is anyone applying to the Honors College? Those essays are no joke! My kid is dragging her feet.

1 Like

Yes. D24 is going to try and finish them today to include with the application. Otherwise she will get the application in now (as required for WUE) and send in the honors application later in the month.

Yes- mine did. Agreed, those prompts were more demanding than others we’ve seen (and had really expected). Being in the HC is pretty key for mine to attend the U.

I heard that last year it was a few days earlier than stated, but still- a long wait. Hopefully with the holidays it goes fast.

We know kids who got in last year and are attending that didn’t submit an essay. If her grades are in line or stronger than the average, I wouldn’t worry about submitting it.

Yes, my S23 didn’t submit a personal statement (used Common App) and got admitted with the WUE merit (3.7UW/3.9W/5 APs). It is critical to meet the Dec 1 deadline though.

He wasn’t interested in the Honors College as he was focused on physics and astronomy (didn’t attend as he got off the waitlist instate at UCSC for astrophysics).

D18 did attend Utah and loved it. She was in the Honors College, in the end it didn’t make a lot of difference as with her double degree (BFA+BS) she didn’t have the time for things like Praxis Labs and the extra Honors course requirements were more of an inconvenience than anything. But she was lucky enough to live in MHC for three of the four years.