University of Utah decisions 2023

The website says applicants will be notified by Jan. 15th. Does anyone know if they have been released earlier than that in the past? Are they sent by mail, email or does a student need to check their portal?

Last year I think my daughter’s portal was updated on the 15th.

The 15th of January?

Yes it was on Jan 15th. They definitely send physical mail too, I think that arrived on the 15th and we found out from the letter rather than the portal (but we weren’t obsessively checking the portals).

Thanks @Twoin18.

We’re still waiting too. It’s so hard to make a decision on which school & scholarship when you have a couple really good ones still out there in limbo.

where on the website does it say that i cant find it

nvm found it

Just received U of U package in mail. D is admitted with presidential scholarship, full OOS tuition+housing

@zzd857 - do you mind sharing stats?

@mountainmomof3

Weighted GPA: 4.35
Unweighted GPA: 4.0
Class Rank: 9 / 462
ACT: 36 composite
NMSF
11 APs

Extracurriculars:
Editor in chief of 2 school magazines
National Honors Society
Cum Laude Society
National Art Honor Society
Couple Club Members
Volunteer at Hospital and Cat shelter (100+ hours)

Thank you! Tracking for S20!

My son received admissions package through mail today. Received freshman academic achievement award ($12,000/year). This is probably the best option he could have received since the gpa requirement for renewal is a 3.0, rather some of the larger scholarships which require maintaining a 3.6. He will be in the School of Engineering and a 3.6 could be difficult to maintain. He applied with a 3.8 UW and 1470 SAT (Utah doesn’t accept superscores). Good extracurriculars. NMSF. I’m not sure when the WUE is awarded, but I assume it would have been upon admission and he didn’t receive it. It would have made the overall cost slightly less, but not much of a difference from the award he did receive.

@zzd857 and @kforty2 congratulations!

Can the merit awards be seen on the portal or via snail mail notification only?
Also, are the packets FedEx/UPS or USPS?

My daughter was accepted with the WUE scholarship, direct Engineering admit, she’s pretty excited about that!
Stats were: 4.13 wGPA
1340 SAT, math 700,
EC’s:
Marching Band/Jazz/Pep Band band 4 years, two as leader of Drumline.
Lots of band competitions/ leadership
We live in Orange County, CA.

Accepted to both Utah and Honors Program!
Major: International Studies
ACT: 29; WGPA: 4.07
Amazing EC’s with long history of community service
WUE Scholarship

We live in San Diego, this puts Utah at the same cost as a Cal State school and cheaper than the UC’s. We will be travelling up to see the campus on one of the Honors Visit days.

Best wishes and good luck to everyone!

@kforty2 The assumption is that you’ll seek residency after the first year. That’s the advantage of your son’s scholarship compared to WUE, you trade off a modestly higher first year cost for the savings in later years (and why renewal is easy, because most people won’t find it advantageous to renew it). In contrast WUE doesn’t count for residency qualification.

@twoin18 Thanks for the comment! I have a friend with a sophomore daughter at Utah and I remember her saying something similar about not wanting to receive the WUE if you plan to seek residency, but I didn’t quite understand the reasoning. In looking at the WUE description for Utah it sounds like if you accept the WUE then those semesters of paying the WUE rate would not count towards the requirement of living in state for 1 year to qualify for in state tuition the following 3+ years. Correct? Also, do you happen to know if a student has to start the in state residency process their freshman year? Or could they come home for that first summer and start the process sophomore year?

@kforty2 Yes that’s correct. Time spent in WUE status doesn’t count. As you’ll see, it’s actually easier to qualify for WUE (lower stats) than for your son’s scholarship.

You can earn residency whenever, but most people do it the summer after freshman year, because why pay non-resident tuition for more time than needed (and you may well have a friend group all doing it together)? The key is not to spend more than 29 days outside Utah in the 365 days after the start of the fall term in August. The Honors dorm (MHC) is open through the winter break so it is easy to stay late/go back early if you want a slightly longer holiday in the summer. And I believe Utah’s own study abroad programs count towards residency even though they are physically out of state.

Also you don’t claim your kid as a dependent on your 2019 tax return (they would likely qualify for dependent status but the IRS does not oblige you to claim that, Utah requires that you do not) and they do a few other things like registering to vote and changing their drivers license. A good option is to become a summer orientation leader for which they receive accommodation and a stipend.