University of Washington, Seattle Waitlist 2025

UW confuses me

Quick question - if we do end up getting accepted at UW, would be only be eligible for minimum requirements majors, or could we also declare a capacity-constrained major (because Iā€™ve read that youā€™re admitted off the waitlist, youā€™re undeclared?)? Thanks!

Itā€™s mostly explained here how majors work at UW. You are undeclared if you get in off waitlist, and you will be able to apply for most majors except Engineering and Comp Sci (unless the engineering school has its own waitlist, then you would be general engineering and have to compete for a slot in your major of choice - I donā€™t know if this is true).

1 Like

UCs offer better weatherā€¦and you donā€™t need to worry about some of the aggressive homeless population.

2 Likes

Unless you go to UC Berkeleyā€¦

Did you get an email from UWā€¦
1 - On Feb 22 saying that decisions would come out March 12?
2 - On March 11 or 12 saying to check oneā€™s portal for an admission decision?
3 - Sometime (when?) after submitting your appeal, to say it had been received?

My son didnā€™t receive any of those. He appealed on March 16. His UW Net ID is set to forward to his personal Gmail account - which is spelled correctly - and he DID receive emails (to his UW email account, forwarded to his gmail) from UW financial aid and UW Bothell.

I just want to check if the notification emails above were hit-or-miss in distribution. (Or if everybody else here got all the emails, I guess he should contact UW IT.)

Got the Feb 22 email. Never received an email regarding decision, it was just there (waitlisted) in the portal.

My son got into UCSD CS with a small merit scholarship and is waitlisted for his first choice UW CS. Pretty random. At this point, we are getting ready for him to leave the state ā€¦

I also got into UCSD AND UCSB for Pre-econ major but waitlisted at UW Econ which was my top choice as well.

1 Like

Found these stats.
Year/Offered waitlist position/Accepted waitlist position/# admitted from waitlist /% admitted from waitlist
2008 ? ? 25 ?
2009 ? ? 1079 ?
2010 ? ? 426 ?
2019 7775 3040 2394 79%
2020 ? 4890 2160 42%

Iā€™ll bet 2021 means a record high # do students offered a spot on the waitlist, but maybe less than 50% will accept a spot (because students applied to record high numbers of schools due to test-optional policies; if they were accepted EA or ED elsewhere they may not want UW anymore). Hereā€™s hoping that most waitlisted applicants who still want a spot, get one.

Sorry if I missed it but has UW said how open they will be in terms of in person classes and housing for freshman? Thanks.

The latest announcement was Jan 19 2021: ā€œbased on projections from health experts we are looking forward to welcoming you back to campus for an autumn quarter with largely in-person classes. This, of course, depends on the effective distribution of vaccines and on each of us continuing to follow health guidance, such as wearing masks and avoiding gatherings.ā€ From The UWā€™s plans for spring quarter and for returning to campus this fall (Message to Seattle students) | Novel coronavirus information

1 Like

I spoke with admissions on Friday and they told me that fewer students were offered waitlist spots this year vs last year. Not sure how this translates into how many spots will open up, but they said they try to get people accepted off the waitlist by Mid-June if possible (not August 1st which is their deadline).

4 Likes

My D got in UCSC and UCD for Psychology but waitlisted for UW. Really HOPING for UW so she can be with her sister and we donā€™t have to pay OOS tuition for the UCs. :four_leaf_clover::crossed_fingers::four_leaf_clover::crossed_fingers::four_leaf_clover::crossed_fingers:

I got waitlisted at UW but got into UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, UC-San Diego, and SDSU Honors college. Iā€™m in state for UW, so Iā€™m hoping to get off the waitlist so we donā€™t have to pay the out of state cost at the UCā€™s.

1 Like

Has anyone appealed? And if you did - did you hear back yet?

1 Like

I am considering appealing for business because quite frankly I am not sure how hard it is to get into Foster as an already-student at UW. If anyone has any insight please lmk. If I can get direct admit via appeal, that would be amazing!

Are you in-state?

No, I am oos. I got in for pre-major but I really want Foster lol.

1 Like

Appeals are a long shot at UW, and I have to assume they would lean in on preference for in-state students. There is a long line of OOS students willing to pay full freight just to get in.

As to your other question, my son was advised by a friend who is there and just went through it that if you donā€™t get in direct, itā€™s not worth it because itā€™s very competitive. I guess that also depends on the type of student you are. If you are willing to jump in with two feet, work hard and get good grades, then it could be achievable. But it is a process much like getting into college all over again, GPA, writing skills test, essays, review of ECā€™s, etc., so if you are done with that after all of this maybe itā€™s not a great choice. But if youā€™re up to the challenge, then have at it.