University of Wisconsin Madison EA Class of 2024

Hi, I am still waiting and they just sent an email to my school yesterday for some additional documents. So it’ll be while before they get back.

I got into St. George’s campus (main campus) with the membership to St. Michael’s College in Life Sciences program :slight_smile:
I got CAD100,000 over the four years, which is not “FULL RIDE” but still maximum you can get without applying for a scholarship.

Question - does UW Madison not give much OOS merit? Was admitted but other schools being considered are giving merit.

@DG Yes, UW gives out VERY little OOS merit

Agree that UW gives little to no merit. Especially to OOS students. You can check the scholarship hub. There are one off things. My OOS student did get a substantial scholarship.

https://wisc.academicworks.com/

Re post #946- “…irresponsible u…” Not so. Sounds like someone used to being catered to- spoiled. The reality is that it is only early January and decisions need to be made among all choices by May 1st. Public U admissions without an unlimited staff/budget with many applicants. Patience is required. Not knowing for a few more weeks will not make a difference in anyone’s future.

btw- once a student admissions is not at all a part of one’s life. Based on the number of posters you will find the vast majority never bothered with CC and successfully navigated the issues presented here. Also, experiences among those posting to be of help you will find that the professors, orientation et al are helpful and personalized.

It is good for UW Madison and SeoulJeJu (OP to post #946) that SeoulJeJu will not be attending UW Madision. It is fine to express one’s anxiety while awaiting a decision, but not right (morally and legally) to misrepresent UW Madison as irresponsible.

@Iguana28, can’t really speak to Madison’s business school. My daughter was admitted a couple of weeks ago, and may attend, depending on merit scholarships. We live in California so it’s a bit of stretch with the OOS tuition and the cold weather, but my daughter really liked it on our visit and Wisconsin has always been one of my favorite schools.

However, I am a Minnesota Carlson MBA (Michigan undergrad). I loved Carlson and that was before the construction of the new facilities for both undergrad and grad school. It’s a very good school and I can tell you I’m closer with my Carlson friends to this day than my Michigan friends. I was well prepared for life after school and there are a ton of opportunities in the Twin Cities for employment. Career planning wasn’t very good when I attended, but it’s been completely overhauled years ago.

The experience is going to be different at both schools. I look at Madison as more of a campus environment in a college town, and U of M as an urban feel. Carlson is located on the West Bank, away from a lot of the other undergrads. My own personal preference was a college campus for undergrad and an urban campus for grad schools. A number of friends who have sent their kids to Minnesota for undergrad say their kids love the school. There is more school spirit now that the football stadium is on campus and the team is good.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either school. It will just depend on whether your son wants to get away for four years and if he would prefer a college town or a bigger city.

Just got something in the mail today

If we applied to direct admit for business but got letters and science and said “pre business” and can apply after freshman year, what does that mean? I assume some people got direct admit to business? I think D said received a waitlist for business in email

@Iguana28 I just received the freshman packet checklist today in the mail.

Also, I too was accepted into the U of M TC and UW Madison and have reciprocity (I’m not business though). I’m guessing that direct admin is better than pre-business on paper?

It can be difficult to decide when a college seems to be offering more, but you really want to go to the other (i.e. Minnesota gave me a moderate scholarship and accepted me into honors while so far Madison hasn’t said anything about that) but I ended up choosing Madison because something about that school excited me in a way that the U of M didn’t (to be fair I live near the U of M). I think he should go with whichever school excites him the most:)

Any international applicants got deferred?

Accepted- College of Letters and Science, Chemistry
Out of State- Ohio
GPA: 3.68 W ≈3.50 UW
32 ACT
670 Math 2
APs: Environmental Science (5) JR Calc AB, Chem, French SR
Extracurriculars: Student Body President (12), Student Body Vice President (11), Varsity Basketball (9-11), JV Tennis (9-10), Varsity Track and Field (11-12), Varsity Cross Country (11-12), Fall Play (9), Spring Musical (9, 12), Volunteered at major hospital summer before senior year, and involved in many clubs
Letters of Rec: very good, close friends with teachers and college counselor
Strong essay

Hello Tridecane,
Congrats on your acceptance! I have also been accepted into the College of Letters and Science. However, my decision letter does not state what program/major I have been put into. My intended major is Computer Science. Did your decision letter mention which major you have gotten? Can anyone answer this question?

@CollegeTime456 Thank you! Congratulations on your acceptance! If you were accepted and if you submitted your application intending that your major would be CompSci, then I would assume that you are in the CompSci program. In addition, I received an email from the Chemistry department. It should say your program on your Application Status page before you open the acceptance letter.

@Tridecane Thanks. My application status does say my “Academic Plan” is Computer Sciences. I was also wondering if anyone’s decision letter explicitly states the major that they have gotten into for UW Madison. Can anyone answer?

@Tridecane – Do you recall when you received the Chem Dept email and what it said? My S was accepted EA on 12/20 and the academic plan listed in his portal is Chemistry - BS (his first choice). However, to my knowledge he hasn’t heard anything from the Chem Dept. Thanks in advance!

Accepted: College of Letters and Sciences (Major: Biology)
International
ACT: 34 Essay: 12/12

IB Predicted: 41/42
Subject SATs: Math(2) 770, Bio(M) 740

Son got accepted to college of letters and science.
Intended Major CS but decision not mentioning subject
International - India
SAT - 1500, Maths -800, English - 700
SAT 2 : Physics -800, Math2 - 800
APs - Calculus BC -5, Physics C- Mechanics - 5 and EM - 5, Environmental science -5
Class rank 1/60
No GPA given by school but 95 + percentage since standard 9

I got accepted, but they didn’t give me any info on financial aid/scholarship. Does that mean I’m not getting any? Plus I’m an IB student and they didn’t tell me if it was a conditional offer.