University of Wisconsin or Indiana For Tibetan Language

<p>Which University has a better Tibetan Language Program, Indiana University, or the University of Wisconsin? I want to study on the undergraduate level. Thanks!</p>

<p>UW has a major in South Asian studies and languages while IU does not and is just adding a minor. UW gets the nod.</p>

<p>I’d definitely give Wisconsin the nod. Although I majored in History, I took many classes in the SE Asian department and like Barrons said, it is huge and very excellent.</p>

<p>Furthermore, there are ample opportunities in the area to study related subjects outside of class. For instance, about 15 minutes outside of town is one of the nation’s largest Buddhist centers, which holds regular events, including a meditation/dharma talk type thing every Thursday evening. You would probably be able to practice some of your Tibetan some of the people that are here if you were to volunteer.</p>

<p>You can also join the UW-Madison Buddhist Group if you want. I really liked it, even though I didn’t go that often. </p>

<p>If you are studying Tibetan, I assume you are fairly open-minded and “spiritual” as well, and Madison is a much better place for such a person than Bloomington.</p>

<p>thanks desert fox!!! i will stride for wisc!</p>

<p>Madison area has a significant Tibetan population. The Dalai Lama has a close friend in Madison and is a frequent visitor to the city and campus.</p>