University out of state tuition waiver

Trying to figure out the University OOS tuition waiver.

It appears that this scholarship requires a student to take 15 credits each semester. The “cost” page for FSU shows cost for 13 credits I believe. Anyway, easy enough to figure out real cost for 15 credits (although it would be nice if this was more clear — seems a bit misleading). It’s just so different than the other schools he’s been admitted to.

My question is about the required summer session. It appears that all students must take 9 credits during a summer session. Does the tuition waiver cover the summer session plus 8 semesters — or does it only cover the summer + 7 semesters……or does it just cover the students first 120 credits no matter when they are taken?

Trying to compare costs for different schools and it’s hard to understand what FSU will actually cost.

Additionally - how hard is it to take less than 15 credits per semester? My DS has ADHD and I think some semesters (with heavy STEM load) are likely to be more challenging than others. Is the 15 credit requirement absolute — or would they work with him?

Last, it appears that summer session is required unless one can show “hardship”. What works for those summer credits? Just classes at FSU campus? Internships? Study abroad?

Thanks for all your help. Son loves FSU — just trying to understand costs compared to some other full tuition+ scholarships he’s been awarded.

1 Like

The summer thing is a state requirement, so not just FSU.v any Florida public This is UF linked below but it explains. You may call admissions at FSU and ask about how to get around it. Our friends kids have spent their first two summers on campus. .

You should call FSU and ask about the waiver - ie what if you withdrawal from a class etc but their verbiage is clear you need 15. There may be a probation or something vs having it removed. Good question to ask.

As for credits and cost it’s another question to ask. Most charge a flat from 12-18 or 19 but they’re says it’s for 13. Or perhaps an fsu parent will clarify.

But good time to make an appt with an admissions counselor.

https://admissions.fsu.edu/first-year/scholarships/