University Residences Question!

<p>I've posted here before. For anyone who doesn't know, let me recap.</p>

<p>I applied for Purdue in late February, took my SATs on March 1st, and got accepted in late May.</p>

<p>I had originally planned on getting enough financial aid to rent an apartment near campus to live for a year or so, but recently decided that it would be cheaper and more beneficial to me to live on campus. I decided this knowing full well that it was awfully late to be applying for on campus housing and that there would be a very good chance that there wouldn't be any room left. I foresaw this and emailed the head of the housing department. I was told that they were still accepting applications for housing, though I didn't ask if there was still room. In my mind, at the time, I saw the two as interchangeable.</p>

<p>Well, I applied about a week and a half ago and paid my seventy five dollar application fee. I expected to either get a contract or at least a letter saying that there was no room before now.</p>

<p>I'm writing this because I have no idea what to expect. I'm hoping someone who has gone through this before and is familiar with applying for student housing to fill me in here. Should I stop waiting? Do they send letters that tell you there isn't any room? Should I wait longer or should I email the housing department again and ask about the status of my application?</p>

<p>Some guidance would be greatly appreciated...it's getting closer to the semester's start, and I'm really at a loss here, and if I do get a place in the dorms, I'd like to schedule a time to go and look at the dorms before classes start.</p>

<p>I would call someone in the Residential Hall area (you can find contact phone numbers on Purdue's website.) I know that they are in the midst of completely converting their student information computer system, and I would want to make sure that your housing contract is not slipping through the cracks.</p>

<p>If I were you I'd probably start worrying now and like stlmom said call the University Residences. For the past few years there have been a lot of people who apply to housing then Purdue has rooms. So basically when demand is more than supply trouble happens. I remember reading either last year or the year before how about 100 students had to live in makeshift rooms for a few months because Purdue didn't have enough rooms. And as for dorms being cheaper, I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I lived in a 4 br apartment about 2 minute walk from Rawls and paid about $400 total (including utilities) a month. And they really overcharge you for the food too so in my experience it's cheaper if you can find a good deal off campus. But yes I would be worried right now.</p>