University Scholars Program and NMF Scholarship question

<p>I read about the University Scholars Program on the Alabama website:</p>

<p>"THE UNIVERSITY SCHOLARS PROGRAM</p>

<p>The University Scholars Program is intended for gifted and highly motivated candidates for BA and BS degrees at The University of Alabama whose objectives include degrees at the master’s or doctoral level. In participating University Scholars departments, with a closely integrated undergraduate and graduate program, qualified students begin graduate study in their senior year; such a program may lead to simultaneous completion of requirements for both master’s and bachelor’s degrees, each within its specified framework."</p>

<p>BUT … under the Q&A about Alabama undergraduate scholarships, it has the following:</p>

<p>"Can I use my scholarship for undergraduate and/or graduate coursework?</p>

<p>All scholarships awarded by the Office of Undergraduate Scholarships, unless otherwise noted, are for undergraduate coursework only."</p>

<p>Does that mean a NMF Scholarship recipient could not use the senior year portion if he/she is in the University Scholars Program? It would be awesome if one could start a masters or PhD degree and have the NMF scholarship cover the initial overlap year of the senior undergrad year with the masters. I wonder if it would apply to an MBA or Masters in Finance through Culverhouse?</p>

<p>Does anyone know how that works?</p>

<p>Thanks
NP</p>

<p>Don’t have much detail but DS is starting Masters in Bio this fall (junior calendar year but senior by hours) under University Scholars this fall while finishing his undergrads. His NMF scholarship is covering. He is in Science and Engeneering so not sure how it would play in Business school.</p>

<p>Have read before that you need to keep at least one undergrad class for the last term. Not sure how accurate that statement is, but it would explain how to get around the statement you copied above.</p>

<p>Thanks! That is helpful.</p>

<p>University Scholars are not legally graduate students and are thus eligible for undergraduate scholarships in return for not being ineligible for graduate scholarships, fellowships, housing, and offices. However, University Scholars do get all other graduate benefits such as access to graduate student events and graduate student computer labs.</p>

<p>With the exception of of the STEM MBA program, undergraduates cannot use their scholarships to be enrolled in the MBA program or graduate programs which do not participate in University Scholars such as Accounting or MIS. </p>

<p>I was a University Scholar in economics, though many people thought I was a University Scholar in finance. Once in a graduate program, UA’s undergraduate scholarships will cover graduate courses in any department where the student is allowed to register for a course. For example, I took an MBA course and had the opportunity to take master’s degree courses in civil engineering, doctoral courses in statistics, and law school courses. </p>