University Scholars

<p>Anyone done this as opposed to a dual/double major or two Bachelor degrees???</p>

<p>Seems like it would be good to decide before you start…</p>

<p>Scholars…bump.</p>

<p>Experiences???</p>

<p>My DD is now looking into it to start her Sophomore year. She is working with a professor to be part of the Scholars program in Chemistry. She really should of looked into it her Freshman year as she should have one class already finished this year. Looks like she might be doing a summer course. I think if your Son or Daughter is highly motivated it is an amazing opportunity. The staff at Bama is wonderful at helping figure it out. If he/she knows what major, I would get in touch with the head of that department and explore the options.</p>

<p>I know bamafana’s son is doing Univ Scholars in Finance and that SEA-Tide is in Economics…if they don’t repy here try sending a PM. My son intends to complete his MSF in 4 years through Univ Scholars as well but since he in only a first year student I can’t really add much…I do know some of the programs have detailed checklists of requirements so you can pretty much work off of those…I would ask in her department of interest what they advise.</p>

<p>We have an appointment with her department to do just that the Friday of Preview Weekend.</p>

<p>After looking at University scholars, this looks like the way to go. The UA catalog states UA prefers it over dual majors…and she will end up with a graduate degree!</p>

<p>Dd has known EXACTLY what she wants to do since she was eleven. Her papers, research, coursework and summer internship have all focused on this. The fact that she worked in her chosen field during the internship AND LOVED IT, simply sealed the deal.</p>

<p>In a case like hers, I am comfortable going “all-in” and planning on the Masters.</p>

<p>We are doubly Bleesed in that, not only did she know her profession, she applied to BAMA in July, and, although she has a backup school, it has been BAMA since our visit last May.</p>

<p>It is so liberating and certainly less stressful than the indecision of not knowing where or what.</p>

<p>I am over fifty, and although I have three degrees…I still don’t know “what”</p>

<p>Any other info on University Scholars would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>WHY don’t they offer the MS in acctg through Univ Scholars? That would make Bama beyond perfect (well except my current gripe about housing). </p>

<p>The 150 hours requirement for CPA track could be met this way, (actually I think with enough APs etc it could be perhaps be done in the undergrad alone).</p>

<p>Anyone with a student in acctg have any input?</p>

<p>I think University Scholars would be an excellent way to go. I keep dangling it in front of my D (at this point it looks like she could graduate in 3 years with a double major and a minor) but she’s leaning toward an internship and maybe a semester abroad. She has always wanted to go to school in Boston or the NE. She chose Alabama over some schools up there and hasn’t looked back once, but may still try to get up there for a masters. </p>

<p>upstate13, that’s a good question. I’d be curious to know the answer. Even back in the stone age, I did a 5-year MS/BS in Accounting. Haven’t looked at the Bama info as my daughter is in Arts & Sciences.</p>

<p>Upstate, I don’t have an accounting student, but I looked into the accounting program last year when my D was contemplating it. I think whether you can get it all done in undergrad with AP depends upon the state in which you’re planning to sit for the CPA exam. Different states have different requirements. Some states require 30 credits beyond a 120 credit degree, but they don’t have to be graduate school credits and they don’t have to be in any particular subject area. IIRC, the state of Alabama had a more stringent requirement in that many of the additional 30 credits had to be in business/accounting. My fuzzy recollection is that Bama didn’t have enough undergrad accounting classes to fill the requirement, but I could be wrong. Of course, it might be possible to take a graduate class or two as an undergrad - that’s definitely something worth discussing with the accounting department.</p>

<p>Most states require the 150 hour rule. My son plans on doing the 5yr Macc but of course would love with his additional credits finish sooner.</p>

<p>The only caution I have about University Scholars is that if your student should apply for one of the prestigious scholarships, namely the Hollings, he or she will not be able to do a masters program all in four years. Scholarship money from the Hollings cannot go toward paying for grad school classes. I know only a handful of students nationwide win the Hollings, but I wanted people to be aware that a student would need to pick between the Hollings and University Scholars.</p>

<p>But Presidential scholarship or NMF WILL pay for University Scholars???</p>

<p>Yes on Presidential and NMF scholarships. </p>

<p>Question about Masters in general - many of the grad programs require 30 hours of graduate study. Is it unusual to take 15 grad credits per semester? Is that why it often takes longer than 1 year to complete? What is a reasonable number of credit hours to take per semester in grad school?</p>

<p>I took 16 hrs/ semester when doing my Masters in Architecture…and that was heavy on design studios and we actually had to ink our drawings on vellum and actually allow time FOR THE INK TO DRY…uphill, both ways!</p>

<p>Yes, I was wondering the same thing. It says 30 hours yet has 4 semesters mapped out in the grad catalog.</p>

<p>I took 6-9/quarter for my PART-TIME MBA program (not at Bama) while working full time, but that’s partially because my program required >50 hours to graduate.</p>

<p>I hope someone can clarify this for me…say a BS requires 120 CR and an MS (generally) requires 30 CR’s. The benefit of University Scholars is that 15 of those credits are double counted for both the BS and the MS…correct? Would that mean, then, to get the BS/MS through University Scholars, the student really only needs 135 CR’s?</p>

<p>Also, those credits that are double counted I assume come from the FREE ELECTIVES required for the BS…correct? (Not sure about other majors, but the CS major requires 15 Free Elective credits.)</p>

<p>TXA, as a side note, an NMF has a presidential scholarship (with some additional incentives). They are not two different scholarships.</p>

<p>I know that for the MSF (Masters of Science in Finance) some of the classes that are double counted are the “higher level” courses…for example one would take FI 510 & FI 512 instead of FI 410 and FI 412 which are required for the Undergraduate degree but they would “count” towards both the undergrad and grad degree…</p>

<p>Thanks…yes, I guess what I meant was instead of taking 15 CR of FREE ELECTIVES, the CS student would be taking grad level CS classes in place of the FREE ELECTIVES.</p>

<p>(I know my son really just needs to sit down and talk to an advisor about this…but I am just trying to figure out how he can work it all into 4 years.)</p>

<p>Yes, the NMF is the Presidential plus.</p>

<p>I just asked it that way so the recipients of either could benefit from the answer…</p>

<p>But, I think your clarification was helpful. I know I learn LOTS on here every day. Thanks.</p>