UPenn Class of 2027 Official Thread

DD got email last Thursday for alumni interview. She responded same day to have interview tomorrow from the dates offered. Alumni had not confirmed yet even though DD emailed again this weekend. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

I’d say wait until tomorrow and then email/call the admissions office at Penn.

1 Like

Thank you we finally got a response today!

Tell your child to check spam folders! Kid”s email went there he didn’t notice until 2 weeks later. Luckily the alum responded.

The interview was very casual and informal. He enjoyed the experience. We are in the NYC area.

I am an international student and I just got an email from an admission officer offering me a free duolingo test to take as my IELTS test is not that recent ( taken a year and a month ago), I did not receive any interview offer and I am a bit freaked out at their request. Do they ask this from any international whose IELTS are kind of old?

1 Like

Fair warning to you all: the dining situation is
subpar.

Which is why the smart kids opt for dining plans with more dining dollars than swipes and patronize one of the numerous food trucks near campus.

Dining hall food quality becomes less of an issue after freshman year once upperclassmen can select housing with shared or private kitchens. My senior enjoys cooking for herself and friends.

1 Like

Oh, yes, it is advisable to minimize exposure to dining services, though many students with the reduced meal swipes option still end up paying for swipes they don’t use. The inspections are just evidence that there’s more to the quality problem than the cuisine itself. Anyway, as I said in another thread, students don’t choose Penn for the food.

2 Likes

hey!!! I hope you are doing well. Can you please tell me if the admission office offering me a free duolingo test to take bc my IELTS is not recent (took 1 year ago but still not expired) is a good sign??? Should I take it?

It’s a sign that they’re offering you a free Duolingo test. That’s it. Read nothing else into it.

1 Like

I don’t have any insider knowledge about admissions, but perhaps they just need a quick assessment of your English language proficiency. If you were my kid, I would tell you to take the test.

2 Likes

If Penn is suggesting you take it, you should take it.

2 Likes

Aw. Penn Dining staff is the nicest though. It’s true that no one goes to Penn for the food but I never felt like it was terrible.

At all the schools we toured, we tried to eat in a dining hall if we could. At Penn, we had lunch at 1920 Commons and it was fine. Not UMass Amherst or Cornell quality dining certainly, but it was fine. And the staff was super friendly which is what I remembered. :heart: I’m sure they’ll address the issues.

When we visited MIT, I asked the tour guide if the dining halls were open, and she looked at me completely aghast and said, “you mean, to eat in?!” When I responded affirmatively she said, “oh no, you don’t want to do that,” and proceeded to suggest a few local restaurants for lunch instead. LOL I guess no one goes to MIT for the food either! :wink:

1 Like

they are not suggesting, they were like: take this by next week please

If it’s mandatory (and assuming you still want to be admitted), why ask?

3 Likes

They’re probably asking you because it is an admissions requirement for international applicants. I wouldn’t look too much into it. They just want to make sure they have all that they need to make a decision.

1 Like

When does the LSM program send out admission decisions?

3 Likes

All decisions are ivy day, dual-degree program or just regular programs.

Yep, all. The message will indicate whether you are admitted to the dual degree program or your default school.

did anyone apply for huntsman?