URM advantage in Law School Admissions?

<p>Hey all,</p>

<p>I am a AA/Irish female non-traditional student(26 when I graduate with my B.A. May 2012, completed A.S. with high honors last year). My G.P.A. is in the 3.6 range LSAT 170. My academic history is interesting and I know my scores are good but not amazing. I am trying to figure out how my URM status will impact the admissions process? Where should I aim?</p>

<p>I hate using the tragic minority card but I'm starting to think that it may be to my benefit to include the details of the "sad" stuff in personal statements: Low SES, Father drug addict, went to violent urban schools(dropout rate 50%+), struggled with homelessness, survived domestic violence, one brother murdered and another brother severing life in prison, escaped gang life, etc, etc. </p>

<p>Thoughts/Feedback?</p>

<p>How did the “tragic minority card” affect your college GPA or LSAT scores? I’m not sure your high school history is relevant when applying for grad school.</p>

<p>The issues I listed: SES, homelessness, domestic violence, drug addiction in family, one brother murdered and another brother severing life in prison, all are things that have occurred/persisted while I’ve been in college.</p>

<p>this should be a helpful site for you</p>

<p>[LSN</a> :: Welcome to LawSchoolNumbers.com](<a href=“Recently Updated J.D. Profiles | Law School Numbers”>http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/)</p>

<p>A better source would be the URM forum on Top law schools.com</p>

<p>Honestly, I hate when people try to rely on your race or things to help you out. Like seriously, do what you need to do and get the best possible in everything. Don’t depend on your race because that won’t get you anywhere. And if it comes to that decision where race helped you out, don’t let it be because you relied on it, it just happened to fall out that way.</p>

<p>yes, being a urm does def help in law school admissions.
if you’re black with a 170 i’d be surprised if you don’t get into a t14… i would even apply to harvard law with your urm status and your stats.</p>