US High School senior applying to McGill for Fall 2023 - test optional a good idea?

I’m a high school senior from Boston, MA applying to McGill (other schools as well, but I’m most worried about my McGill application)
US citizen, female, public high school

I’m applying to McGill’s Arts program and Arts and Sciences, I want to study biology/archaeology/anthropology

Current unweighted GPA is a 96%
I think my weighted is a 4.2 but not sure how accurate that is
No class rank
Highest SAT score was 1440 (680 math, 760 english)
Didn’t take ACT

Took AP Chem sophomore year (4 on exam), AP Calc BC (3 on test with 4 subscore) and AP Bio (4 on test) junior year. Took English Lang test junior year (self studied and got a 5). Currently taking AP CSA and AP Spanish Lang, will take AP World spring semester. All honors classes, am taking Anatomy & Physiology this year, and I’m doing a biology/archaeology internship in the spring/summer.

I know McGill doesn’t care about extracurriculars but I’m president of 2 clubs, leader on a third, sing in a choir outside of school, and sail on my school’s varsity team. NHS, First Honors every year.

Applying for financial aid

Thoughts on applying test optional? I know my SAT math score is just below the Arts and Sciences cutoff (which I’d really like to get into), but since McGill only looks at test scores I’m worried I wouldn’t get in at all since they’d have basically nothing to look at without my SAT scores. Is this reasonable?

If your highest score is below the cutoff they previously used, then I wouldn’t submit a test score, as they are test-optional for U.S. students for another year. Your grades are very high, they have other things to look at than your SAT. But, you should know that Quebec recently passed a law that might affect you if you don’t speak French.

2 Likes

Huh? That applies to immigration to Quebec. It does not affect admission to the English universities in the province or to student visas. McGill’s undergraduate enrolment is 50% out of province and international and will stay that way.

3 Likes

My kid got in test-optional but submitted many AP scores (majority 5 and 4). Just a single data point that I can offer. I think gpa is their top factor but I’m not certain of that. Good luck!

1 Like

Bill 96 was passed in June 2022.

That applies to CEGEP enrolment which is not a concern for out of province Canadian and international students.
Bill 96: Quebec threatens to change laws after Montreal schools offer Grade 12 to bypass new language law | CTV News

2 Likes

Public services are supposed to be in French. You can easily find this online. Glad if I’m wrong about McGill. Knowing many students there, I have heard otherwise.

That is simply not true, certainly not in the Montreal area. Your information on university enrolment was wrong as is this.

3 Likes

Can confirm. We spent some time looking at how this is playing out, speaking with current McGill students as well as Montreal residents. Also know that, as expected, several elements of this bill are currently suspended pending legal challenge, with more to come. Bill 96 is unlikely to affect students from the US much, even if it does get implemented.

That said, it is an indication of the ongoing sentiments in Quebec that students in the area should be aware of.

2 Likes

If an international student hopes to live in Montreal after graduation a knowledge of French is required, as it has been for nearly fifty years.

This is not the case. McGill itself is an English-language public university.

2 Likes

Yes, I know that. I would just suggest people research this issue as it has apparently presented complications for some students. The new bill does require French in many outside services (a recent article in the McGill paper mentions rental agencies) which can be a problem for non-French speakers. And the rest of Quebec (outside of Montreal) has places where no English is spoken at all. Just things to consider.

Nope!

Enrolment

By mother tongue

|46.8%|English|
|19.7%|French|
|33.5%|Other|

2021 Quick Facts | About McGill - McGill University

3 Likes

Hey, I don’t want to argue with you. 47% are from Quebec, 16% from France. For someone looking at applying, it is probably worth looking into the affects of Bill 96 and also understanding the culture of the school/area and that is the only thing I thought worth mentioning originally. It’s great you posted the information for people who are interested in the school.

Just to get things back to the OP’s question: I’d certainly agree with the approach above.

Issues and facts around the francophone nature of McGill and Quebec might be best handled in a separate thread?

2 Likes

Regarding Bill 96, Quebec immigration, social services, and every other item which I in my sole discretion deem off-topic, move on.

2 Likes

One reminder, I believe SAT/ACT scores are required for the entrance scholarship application.

According to this page, US applicants are still allowed to apply for entrance scholarships without SAT or ACT scores:

“As a result of the interruption in testing services due to the Covid-19 pandemic, applicants for September 2023 from US-based curriculum schools will not be obligated to submit SAT or ACT scores for admission and scholarship applications. For those students who do submit scores, they will be considered as part of their scholarship application. For those who do not, scholarship consideration will be based on grades, credit count, AP results, university-level courses, level of program challenge and any other factors deemed relevant by the scholarships office.” Estimated Minimum Academic Requirements - McGill University

yes, mine aren’t high enough so not planning on applying for the scholarships.

oh, wait, I hadn’t seen this! thanks!