Entering as: Junior
College/Major: Viterbi/Computer Science
GPA: 4.00
Units completed: 83
Units in progress: 0
Pre-reqs completed: All
GEs completed: 6/8

ECs: None listed just work experience
Job/Work Experience: Tutor for elementary and middle school kids in high school. Summer day camp counselor. Pizza restaurant server. Ice-cream shop server.

Essays:
For the main transfer essay, I talked about my passion for computer science and how I wanted to go to college not to just get my degree but to learn about the world as well. Spoke about my interests in non-STEM subjects like philosophy, politics, and film.
For the pick your own essay I chose the one asking me to describe something outside of my academic focus I was interested in, I talked about my love for film and how I could take advantage of the thriving film community at USC.
For the why USC I talked about mostly how USC would offer a great education in computer science for me. I talked about the hands-on and collaborative environment at Viterbi and how I was interested in the PDP program as well.

Letters of Recommendation: None

Accepted: UCSC, UCD, UCI, UCSD, USC
Waitlist: UCLA, CAL POLY SLO
Rejected: UCB, UCSB

1 Like

College transferring from: CSULB
Trojan Transfer Plan (TTP)/Legacy: No
College/Major: Dornsife/Psychology
GPA: 3.77
Units completed: 57
Units in progress: 4
[ ] Pre-reqs completed: 4/8
[ ] GEs completed: 4/8
b

ECs listed on app: Some volunteer work and 7 years of all star cheer
Job/Work Experience: babysitting
Letters of Recommendation: None

Other schools applied to: None

ACCEPTED FALL 2021
College transferring from: los angeles community college
Trojan Transfer Plan (TTP)/Legacy: yes to top, no to legacy
Entering as: sophomore
GPA: 3.54
Units completed: 41
Units in progress:idk
Pre-reqs completed:math and English

ECs listed on app: School senate, Curriculum Committee, Health club
Job/Work Experience: Local Holiday shop
Essays (subject and responses): I wrote about how my doctor declare me dead before I was born but I was actually alive and how It affect everything
Letters of Recommendation: my English 101 teacher and my senate advisor

Other schools applied to:

What school did you get into?

ur mom… jk lol davis

1 Like

UC Davis? I’m talking about USC. What program did u get into?

davis school of gerontology

Accepted for Interactive Media and Game design!!!

(Posting again since my previous post wont let me update)

Had an interview
SGR received June 9th
Accepted June 11th

College transferring from: RISD

Trojan Transfer Plan (TTP)/Legacy: nope
Entering as: sophomore

GPA:4.0
Units completed: 21
Units in progress: 15
[ ] Pre-reqs completed: probably only the english one since the others are not offered to freshman in RISD
[ ] GEs completed: not sure but again, freshman are not allowed to choose classes except 1 random elective

ECs listed on app:

-Brown RISD game dev club
-school student body president (hs)
-MUN member and head of design for the club (hs)
-internship I mentioned below
-volunteer english teacher back in my country

Job/Work Experience:

-internship in one of the best game companies in my country
(I’m a US citizen but I live abroad)

Achievements:

-international art contest winner (only one from my country)
-published one of my illustrations in an award winning book
-honors student at RISD
-presidential scholarship and honors list in a summer camp for game art and design

Essays (subject and responses):

-the one that was asking why I was transferring:
I talked about how transferring is basically impossible in my country and you would have to take ALL the national exams again from scratch, and had to start out as freshman no matter how many years you had studied before. So I wrote that the transfer system in the US was underestimated and that I would like to use it to broaden my perspective and have a more interdisciplinary college experience. Because rather than studying interdisciplinary subjects in one college, I wanted to do that in more than one.

For the SCA writing one I told the story of How I grew up in a very poor and old neighborhood where I created new games to teach the street kids and thats how I started to like making games. I talked about the narrow streets and the old buildings, how we would play until the sunset, and essentially how that transformed into my love for video games.

Letters of Recommendation: from two professors that apparently nominated me for an honors student

Other schools applied to: NYU, UofU, CMU

Bonus circumstances: while I was applying to USC, my family lost their home, they were homeless for a few months. They also lost their savings worth an entire year of their combined income. I lost my cat to cancer and there was a huge earthquake that killed family friends. I had to move 3 times and at some point didn’t even have a desk or a stress free environment that I would study in.

Accepted to Dornsife (pre-law), Fall 2021 @ 5:16 PM 05/28/2021

College transferring from: Santa Monica College (CA CC)
Trojan Transfer Plan (TTP)/Legacy: Yes, Legacy
GPA: 3.91
Units completed: 53
Units in progress: 12
GEs completed: All

ECs listed on app: 1 Honor Society, 2 clubs, 1 Research, Dean’s Honor List
Leadership : Commissioner, Public Relations director, Title IX student leader
Letters of Recommendation: 1 from History professor

Other schools applied to: UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UCR, USC (accepted to all, rejected from UCB)

USC was always my #1. Lots of my friends wanted me to join them at UCLA but I knew I was meant to be a Trojan. Fight on!

1 Like

ADMITTED! USC Marshall Fall 2021

College transferring from: California Community College
Trojan Transfer Plan (TTP)/Legacy: Neither
GPA: 3.681
Units completed: 73
[ ] Pre-reqs completed: Writing and Business Calculus (B in writing, A in Calculus)
[ ] GEs completed: All

ECs listed on app:

• 2 Jobs
  • Internship experience
    *500+ volunteer hours

USC is my top choice, I will be attending Fall! Fight on

ACCEPTED FALL 2021 Marshall!
College transferring from: Santa Monica College
Trojan Transfer Plan (TTP)/Legacy: Yes TTP
Entering as: Sophomore
GPA: 4.0
Units completed: 35
Pre-reqs completed: 6/8 all but the science ones

Other schools applied to: LMU (Accepted)

Hey, everyone!!

I read every single one of these throughout my process and I cant believe i got accepted!! My stats and stuff haha:

ACCEPTED for Fall 2021 Dornsife, Neuroscience B.S on June 28th 6:00 PM

College transferring from: A UC and Community college (not going to specify) and I went to both (so much work)

Trojan Transfer Plan (TTP)/Legacy: Neither

Entering as: Sophomore maybe junior after I complete my fall term at USC!!

GPA: 3.88 cumulative (3.76 GPA at UC and 4.00 At Community College) I got 1 B in BIO and a B+ in Chem 1C (missed an A- by 1%) but I ended up getting in so don’t sweat over B’s. Yes, i explained why I got those 2 B’s and I advise you to do the same if you want

Units completed: 62 transferable units; 48.33 semester units if I convert all my units to semester

Pre-reqs completed: 8/8 completed all my GE’s; all I have to do is take my foreign language. I also completed my recommended preparation for Neuroscience (just have to take a psych class)

Extracurriculars listed:
3D printed surgical masks during the pandemic to help my community
NSLC— a medical program where I learned how to do general surgery, suture, and drill tumors out of a brain
Doctors Without Borders
A religious club
A job I did for 2 years
Alzheimers research currently and a leadership development program (I updated my AO about it when my spring term was over)

Achievements:
Golden State Merit winner
Graduated Cum Laude in my high school class of 2020
AP Scholar
2 time dean honors list recipient
Apart of the Honors program at my Community College

Essays:
l wrote a lot of personal stuff for my essays, so I hope you understand why I don’t want to share. However, I did put a lot of time into my essays and made sure they were good and reflect who I am. I made it personal but not a sob story. I reflected on who I wanted to be and how the pandemic allowed me to change my life around. Described my unhealthy lifestyle in high school and how I learned how to live life and not worry about the small stuff. About my first degree major, I went in. I talked about profs at USC, programs, what I’m currently doing and how I can bring it to USC to help shape me. The Dornsife essay, I talked about procrastination and made it a motivational speech yk? I also had no help from anyone professional or siblings to shape my app. All essays were written by me.

Subjective:
Mentioned my dad got COVID and my parents are getting divorced. I’m sure those factors didn’t help me at all lols.

Overall:
GPA and essays matter. Make sure you complete your GE’s like all of them before applying. Try to complete your recommended preparation for your major to be very competitive.

I committed to USC, and I’m so thankful to Jesus I was admitted! FIGHT ON AND NEVER GIVE UP! If you were denied this time, reshape your app, work harder, and show your admission counselor what they missed out on! Send me a message if you have any questions and I’m willing to help! FIGHT ON!

I want to add on to my last post that I got a SGR on May 3rd. Submitted my unofficial transcripts with my spring grades on June 16th, emailed my counselor after I submitted my spring grades, and heard back on June 28th around 6 Pm. I did not get an email stating there was a status update; I just checked my portal and saw there was a status update. My spring term I got a 4.00 gpa at my community college and a 3.51 gpa at my UC. So hope this helps and fight on!!

ACCEPTED FALL 2021 Dornsife
College transferring from: One of the LACs from east coast
Trojan Transfer Plan (TTP)/Legacy: No. I don’t know what they are
GPA: 3.8
Units completed: 33
Pre-reqs completed: Math and Writing.

Other schools applied to: BU(accepted)

UPDATE

As of 6 JUL 2021
APPEAL ACCEPTED FOR SPRING 2022

Timeline
28May2021-Rejection
30May2021- Appeal Letter Submitted
09Jun2021- Spring Grades Request Submitted
06Jul2021- Appeal Accepted

Degree/School Applied: Real Estate Development (RED)/ Sol Price

College transferring from: CoC (College of the Canyons)
Trojan Transfer Plan (TTP)/Legacy: No/No
GPA: 3.8

Units completed: 46

Pre-reqs completed: All
GEs completed: All

ECs listed on app: Volunteered for a non-profit organization that trains service dogs and matches them with disabled veterans and children. While I served I was appointed to Vice President of our squadron’s Booster Club for 1 year and President of our squadron’s Booster Club for 2 years. My responsibilities were coordinating fundraising opportunities and managing volunteers for these events to raise funds to ensure our personnel and their families can enjoy our yearly end-of-year holiday party at no cost to the members to include free child care services. Furthermore, I was a part of an organization called APDFL (Ametuer to Professional Development Football League) that allows adults aspiring to develop their skills to be recruited to professional leagues. I was the Athletic Trainer in 2015 and responsible for the sports conditioning of 45 athletes. I personalized individual meal plans and weight training regimens during the week and was responsible for all fundamental conditioning drills during practice. Lastly, I volunteered as an assistant coach for my base volleyball team and head coach for basketball.

Job/Work Experience: I have served in the United States Air Force for 15 1/2 years and medically retired in August 2019. While I served, I was able to obtain my license as a REALTOR and worked part-time in Florida for 2 1/2 years. After I retired, I obtain my California REALTOR license and have been practicing real estate sales since 2019. So, 15 1/2 years of military service, 5 years of real estate sales experience

Essays (subject and responses): My essays were not the greatest. When I went through the application, I was not aware that the question in the Common App WERE the essays. It was under “Questions” along with one-word questions like “3 words to describe you”, and “your favorite snack”. I did answer them in a short essay format and I did put the most important details I wanted to express but not to the details that I know I could have set forth had I known that was the essays. I have been kicking myself since January about this mistake. But this is what questions I chose to express myself:

Essay Question: “USC believes that one learns best when interacting with people of different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Tell us about a time you were exposed to a new idea or when your beliefs were challenged by another point of you please discuss the significance of the experience and its effect on you.” Response (in summary) I talked about being raised by my Filipino mother and African American father who ensured me to know not only my family’s history but the history of our people and though they were troubling times, it also made me realized how far we have come to be where we are. I also mentioned growing up in Japan visiting other countries as a young child, I was exposed to a culture outside of the United States and aided in the appreciation and beauty other cultures have. My exposure allowed me to excel in the military as I continued to be exposed to many others who had vast cultural differences and experiences and become a natural mediator in various groups I was assigned to complete different projects and programs over my time serving in the military and also benefited me in real estate.

Letters of Recommendation: Professional Recommendation Letter from my supervisor in the USAF. Also wrote a Self Recommendation Letter, (not normal practice but my counselor said he would apply it to my application after I explained that I was not aware that the essay prompts were those questions on the common app and wanted to further explain my passion and choice to attend USC for the Real Estate Development Program. I literally thought those were just short answers so that is the only thing that is making me nervous.

Other schools applied to: None. USC or BUST.

4 Likes

Also would like to add:

Do not ever settle for rejection if there is even a slightly chance for redemption. Take aim at your target no matter the circumstances. You never know what will happen. Also, trust that no matter what the outcome is, Life has a way of creating paths for you… You just have to be open and aware to recognize it.

I am still amazed that I will be a part of the Trojan family this upcoming spring and beyond grateful to all those who supported and rooted for me. Thank you so much!!!

FIGHT ON :v:

4 Likes

Degree/School Applied: Viterbi- CSBA

Timeline
5/16/2021- Spring Grade Request
6/14/2021 - Spring Grade Submitted
7/7/2021 - Accepted for Fall 2021

College transferring from: California Community College (attended two schools)
Trojan Transfer Plan (TTP)/Legacy: No
SGR- Yes
GPA: school 1- under 3.0 GPA, it was probably like 2.5ish 4-5 Ws and 3 Fs due to medical condition
school 2 (most recent one) -4.0 when applied, got one B during spring semester

• Super Upward Trend, overall very bad GPA

Guys!! seriously … GPA isn’t everything
I was so worried because of my past performance but I got accepted :slight_smile:

Units completed: way too many completed

Pre-reqs completed: completed all required ones plus all recommended courses listed on the website (CS) and additionally I took account 1&2, econ 1&2 and intro business for the BA part-not necessary but I took it anyways (got all As)

GEs completed: All (all As)

ECs listed on app:
Job/Work Experience: Full-time student and worked full-time job in fashion industry for 6 years, lots of fashion and music related EC
have AA degree in fashion design and AS degree in math

Essays (subject and responses): I wrote mostly about technology in fashion industry and my job experience, I think my story was very unique as my background is in fashion which is quite unusual for engineering students

Letters of Recommendation: submitted two, one from my CS teacher, one from supervisor

Other schools applied to: UCB(rejected), UCLA(waitlisted), UCI(waitlisted), CPP(accepted), CSULB(rejected), CSUF(accepted)

3 Likes

Hi! so I was accepted to usc for spring 2022 and I really do not want to get backed up. I was also accepted to ucla but for regular fall term. can I attend ucla this fall and the drop out of ucla and attend usc for when I was admitted (spring 2022)? or will there be an issue in either of the 2 schools?

The only issue would be converting the UCLA quarter units to USC’s semester units and the transferable credits or classes USC would allow for the UCLA classes.

how’s the outcome tho? Your background looks pretty strong with a lot of realistic experiences. May I also ask how did you get to work at some clothing stores and other firms? Thank you and keep me updated!