USC Bovard Scholars

If I send in my financial info and transcript, does that mean I’ll get in for sure?

Since it says “conditionally ACCEPTED”, I’m pretty sure you’re good to go once you send those in.

Congrats to all who were accepted!

I got in too!!!???I honestly don’t want to be by myself so if y’all wanna start a group chat then HMU on Instagram(@.yrrej.).

Looking back on my application, I don’t see how I got in. I heard other people saying that they took loads of ap’s and ib’s. I only took 1 AP and got a 3 on the test! It must be because they saw how bad my HS is; the academics there are really low. Now I have the opportunity to be exposed to a more challenging environment and meet lots of cool people. I feel so blessed.

Hello!
I am interested in applying for the USC Bovard Scholars program in 2020. Currently, I am a sophomore in high school and will be junior when I apply. I was wondering what my chances will be considering how amazing and competitive this programs is.

@hero2602 Congratulations on your acceptance!

I don’t really know what is the determining factor on being admitted to this program. I know you at least need a 4.0 and demonstrate financial need. To stand out, however, just write a good essay that defines you, I guess. I think it was my essay that got me in the first place because my PSAT score and course rigor certainly weren’t.

I think that’s how it should be though. After all, this program is about helping low income students get better test scores, craft better essays, and expose you to college level lectures. If you have a PSAT of 1400+ or have a bunch of EC’s and AP’s, you may not even need this program because it would have nothing to teach you. That’s my opinion anyway.

How did you find out about this program anyway? It’s super early for you. You have nearly a year to do the application lol.

@oceans21 Personally, I think that the biggest component of your application to Bovard Scholars is the essays, and you should focus on those as much as everything else.

@hero2602 I found out about this program by researching online. I was looking for pre-college summer programs and opportunities for high school students when I came across USC Bovard Scholars. I have a 4.0 cumulative gpa and will be taking the IB Diploma program at my school which is composed of the most challenging courses my school offers. Honestly, my PSAT score was terrible and the EC’s I am involved in are student ambassador, peer tutor, and peer mediator at my school.

You guys, I’m really scared I’m going to get rejected when they see the financial information form. My family isn’t wealthy, but we aren’t poor either. I saw a reddit thread where someone got rejected after being conditionally accepted due to their family’s finances. I’m really scared and anxious about this now…

that sums up usc for ya.

well, this is a program for high-achieving students with financial need. If you aren’t in need, you should not apply? You may get lucky and they overlook your financials. good luck.

We aren’t poor, but at the same time we can’t afford thousands and thousands for college counseling. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

I saw that post too. I think you’ll be fine though. I heard that some middle class people get in, just a few though. What is considered poor? Is it less than 50k a year or less?

does anyone know when the people on the waitlist will get a notification of acceptance or rejection?

I think it’s gonna be early May since they will need about two weeks to look over the CSS profiles of all applicants who got in and see if they have to reject anyone. Good luck!

Has anyone made a groupme yet? Please PM me if you have, CC doesn’t allow me to initiate PM’s since I’m a “new member”

Hello, I’m new to this conversation, but I’m also super excited to say I got in too. I sent in my official transcript and my CSS profile a week ago. How is everyone doing?