***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

Do rejected applicants get anything from the mail? Do they get it in a small envelope or something?

I mean, in my opinion, aren’t only a few people’s on this thread’s portals changed? Wouldn’t there at least be a bit more people whose portals are like what they are describing? I don’t know, just a thought! :confused:

@apasianboii Rejected applicants get a normal letter in the mail- it isn’t sent through priority though

ooh, so if you don’t get it in mail within the next 3 days its safe to assume you didn’t get in right? lol

cdnotready, I’m not putting too much stock in portal glitches. My son was admitted to UW and his portal is still wonky. We only know he got in because of the links provided here, plus he received the packet. He was also accepted to Boston U and did not have a housing portal change that people were positive was an indicator of acceptance. I just don’t think USC is going to give us anything ahead of time. They seem to have their system down to a science.

UC Irvine, on the other hand, is a cluster right now with their rolling portal updates.

@teddyh Thank you, but I’m wondering will an email be sent? I’ve gotten emails from usc that are also posted on my portal, generally an email has been sent before I am able to check my portal.

I don’t want to say the portal change means something, but I wouldn’t want to completely dismiss it either. The Pomona link thing was accurate as were different things both this year and previous ones.

Hey Everyone! I was just wondering if any of you have advice as to how to cope with my anxiety leading up to this decision? Like most of you, USC has been my dream for such a long time and I really want to get in, but having to wait for Thursday or Friday to know the decision has my stomach tied in a knot. Any and all advice would be helpful! (Also, on a side note, how much does USC value demonstrated interest?) Thank you, An-Anxiety-Ridden-Nervous-Wreck-of-a-Senior

@atl989 An email will be sent a few days after you receive your packet reminding you of the next steps to take to enroll. They make a point of having you find out by mail and only by mail.

@charcoalatey2021 we are experiencing the exactly same thing. But i think its better if you relax a little bit. Sometimes its not good to have a desire/expectation that’s too strong. It might let you down. Just stay in tune.

@charcoalatey2021 stay off of CC. Just check it once a day and catch up if you must, then log out. Get your homework done! Good luck!

Has anyone tried this link? https://netid.usc.edu/account_services/activate_account

This is from last year’s thread: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-southern-california/1842387-usc-class-of-2020-results-discussion-thread-p108.html

@teddyh Okay thank you. I just wanted to make sure we would check our portal and no email would be sent before we choose to check ourselves.

Ugh I’m reading this and I want to check my portal but I’m not going to. I’ll know soon enough no need to stress myself out anymore.

@CADREAMIN Yes… the casting for Stranger Things was spot on. Can’t wait for Season 2.

As for this portal confusion, I cannot even follow what the glitch is supposed to be anymore. If I attempt to log-on to my daughter’s you.usc.edu portal, the URL first says…

https://you.usc.edu/preapplicant/ and then quickly converts to…

https://you.usc.edu/login/ and after log-in, finally converts to…

https://you.usc.edu/applicant-freshman/

Is that supposed to mean something? In my daughter’s case, it says both “preapplicant” and “applicant-freshman”, but I only take that to mean that you are a “preapplicant” before your assigned USD ID and then you are an “applicant-freshman” once they know who you are.

I still contend that USC is not about to give anything away prematurely or reveal a decision via glitches. But I have asked “Eleven” to telepathically look into the admission decisions for us. I will let you know what she says…

@wwward This portal stuff is just another example of the upside world. Let me know what Eleven says, she knows aaaalllllllll.

USC applicants.
EVERY YEAR applicants try to read “hidden meanings” into various messages on the portal.
EVERY YEAR USC states there is NO WAY for students to figure out if they are “in” before acceptance packages have been mailed.
So PLEASE- try to relax.
You are only making it harder for yourselves.

This portal stuff happens every year - “Ah there’s a gnat on my computer screen - I think it means I got denied! Oh no!” Sorry, I know it’s stressful, but go keep busy, pleeeease.

Never (ok, last 5 years) has anyone seen anything that ends up being linked to admission until the decisions roll out. But that doesn’t stop them from trying and guessing. Maybe this will be the year a stranger thing happens (like that @wwward?). If it is fun, fine, but don’t let it stress you out. If it is, go do something else! A couple funky things go on but that is usually the day of the portal updates later that night. The truth is out there. btw, this is what portal of admitted students updates to:

It updates to include:

Admission
Admission Decision
Enrollment Commitment Deposit
Withdraw Your Application
Submit Documents

Financial Aid
Apply for Financial Aid
Financial Aid Summary & Tasks (FAST) page

On-Campus Admitted Student Programs
Explore USC
Preview USC