***USC Class of 2021 Discussion/Results Thread***

Please replace the “[a” below with just “[” before posting.

**Decision: Accepted/Finalist for Presidential Scholarship **

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 1440 , 760 CR, 680 M
ACT (breakdown): 29 Composite, 35 Eng, 32 Reading, 26 M, 28 S, I forgot the rest but as you can tell, not the best :’)
SAT II: 750 USH, 690 Lit, 560 Bio (didn’t send)
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.98? My school weighs, so the GPA I sent was 4.348
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 1/363
AP (place score in parenthesis): 5-USH, 4-World H, 3-Bio, 3-Lang
IB (place score in parenthesis): n/a
Senior Year Course Load: AP Calc BC, AP Lit, AP Gov, Leadership Class, Guitar, Anatomy & Physio
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar w/ Honors, photography in 2 local art shows and local community service awards/ honor roll, small scholarship for scientific research I completed my junior year

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Mock Trial Team Captain & Prosecuting lawyer (3 yrs), ASB/ Leadership (Frosh Prez, Soph Prez, District Board Rep, Senior VP) (4 yrs), Feminist club founder & pres, GSA Club officer, Robotics Club CEO, Local newspaper intern (publish 4+ times), Self taught photography & guitar, etc etc etc
Job/Work Experience: tutoring, interning at newspaper
Volunteer/Community service: student guitar teacher, newspaper intern (100 hours or so) nothing impressive
Summer Activities: Took classes at local college and volunteered, scientific research at local aquarium
Essays (rating 1-10, details):

MOST IMPORTANT
I can’t legitimately rate my essays in a way that could be of any help. However, I do think my essays were an integral part of application and ultimately, why I got in. My Common App essay was based on an essay I wrote in a Intro To Chicanx Studies class I took this past summer. I reflected on my identity as a Chicana and I think it conveyed my voice, but it is definitely not my favorite essay. I ended up starting from a scratch and sending a brand new essay to all of the schools I applied to with a January deadline. For the USC Supplements, I wrote on a feminist theory I learned this summer and how it sparked my intellectual curiosity as well as changed how I identified myself. For the why USC prompt, I went full on cheese. I even ended it with “Fight On, Trojans!”. Moral of the story is don’t take yourself too seriously.

Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):

Teacher Rec #1: Professor I had over the summer. I think she liked me lol
Teacher Rec #2: Math teacher of three years & huge support system
Counselor Rec: knew him well, chaperoned a college visit trip of Ivy Leagues
Additional Rec:
Interview: n/a

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
Intended Major: Philosophy, Politics, and Law
State (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant): USA
School Type: public, 2k students
Ethnicity: Mexican American
Income Bracket: 100,000-150,000
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): First generation, underrepresented rural community, Mexican-American woman :slight_smile:

Reflection
Do not take yourself too seriously on college applications. People will tell you that there is list of things you need to check off to get into a school but don’t listen. You are not a robot. That being said, it is important to know when to be serious and show your academic excellence and mature thought process.

I have been scrolling through College Confidential since I was a freshman, comparing my stats to others. I took the SAT 4 times and ACT 2 times, hell bent on getting a perfect score because I thought that I needed it to get into a “good college”, whatever that means. After getting the same score over and over again, I realized that I’m just a crappy test taker lol. Don’t try to be something you are not. I was having the hardest time writing my Common App essay because I was trying way too hard to be poetic, witty, and intellectual all at the same time. When I let that go and decided to just write about how I truly felt about myself, my passions, my aspirations, I think my strong sense of self was conveyed. A huge piece of advice that helped me was a quote I heard somewhere in the depths of “How To Get Into So&So” Youtube was something along the lines of “Go back and read your essays, if they don’t sound like something you would honestly say than they aren’t the right ones.” I think doing so really helped me feel confident in my applications.

Strengths: ESSAYS, ESSAYS, ESSAYS! Passion for law & social justice. Quirkiness in short response questions
Weaknesses: test scores, maybe ECs
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Essays & short answers
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: I was rejected from being a QB Finalist, however USC is my first college decision. Applied to Harvard, Yale, Brown, Stanford, Vandy, WUSTL, BU and state schools

General Comments :
I was genuinely shocked when I got my giant USC package in the mail. So happy it was my first decision when I was expecting a state school. I’ve been doing a lot of research on USC and I am quickly starting to fall in love. I need to stop myself though because I am waiting on 13 other decisions! I think that the USC Admissions process is truly a holistic one. Going into college application season, I was afraid my test scores and ECs were not significant enough to get me into into any of my dream schools and yet here I am. To any other Presidential finalists please message me about which Explore USC date you are attending!

@binky17 you’re welcome

**Decision: Accepted/Presidential Scholarship Finalist **

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2270 (800 Math, 790 Writing, 680 Reading)
ACT (breakdown): N/A
SAT II: Didn’t send
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 11/317
AP (place score in parenthesis): Calc AB (5), Lang (5), APUSH (4), Micro (3), Stat (3), World History (3)
IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
Senior Year Course Load: AP Calc BC, AP Lit, AP Gov, APES, AP Psych, Guitar, Journalism, Astronomy
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): 6th in state in extemporaneous speaking for speech and debate, AP Scholar w/ Distinction, some GA high school achievement award, awards for stories written for the school newspaper

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Speech and Debate (4 yrs), School Newspaper (2 yrs, editor), Youth Choir at my church (4 yrs), 21st Century Leaders Community Service Group (3 yrs), theatre (1 yr)
Job/Work Experience: None
Volunteer/Community service: Tutor third graders, working the speech and debate tournament my school hosts, random small things through the community service group I’m in
Summer Activities: Summer camp, choir rehearsal, weekly bible study, youth conference at my church, family reunions, other vacations
Common App - 9/10 I think. Wrote about underrepresentation of black characters (and lack of diversity in general) in books that aren’t labeled as “black books” and how that impacted me growing up in predominantly white schools. talked about how i love writing and would love to write a book one day and how I plan on doing what i can to help solve this problem in the future
USC Supplemental 1 - 10/10 for something about myself essential to understanding me. Wrote about how I am a very nostalgic person and have a memory box where I store mementos. how I’ve learned to appreciate each moment, etc.
Academic Interest - 7/10. Wrote about how I love writing, very basic in my opinion since I talked about writing in my common app essay

Teacher Rec #1: calculus teacher, didn’t read but probably 7/10
Teacher Rec #2: didn’t submit a second one
Counselor Rec: 7/10
Additional Rec:
Interview: N/A

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: English
State (if domestic applicant): Georgia
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: Black
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM

Reflection

Strengths: Essays. I think I made it clear that I have a passion for writing. My SAT score is good, but my Critical Reading score is pretty low
Weaknesses: Critical Reading score, a lot of 3s on AP exams, recommendations not the best
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: God is good!!
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Accepted: UGA and UNC. Waiting to hear back from others.

General Comments : So exciting! Good luck to future applicants!! <33

**Decision: Accepted/Presidential Scholarship Finalist **

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2260 (800 M, 760 W, 700 CR)
ACT (breakdown): 36 (36/36/35/35, 24 W)
SAT II: 800 Math 2, 800 Physics
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 1/412
AP (place score in parenthesis): Calculus BC (5), Computer Science A (5), Physics C: Mechanics (5), Statistics (5)
IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
Senior Year Course Load: AP Literature, AP Gov, AP Art, APES, Multivariable Calculus, Yearbook
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): No major ones, a couple of smaller computer science/math ones

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Math Club (VP), Yearbook, Soccer (2 years JV, 2 years Varsity)
Job/Work Experience: Intern at startup as web developer
Volunteer/Community service: Tutoring (200 hrs), Homeless Shelter (100 hrs)
Summer Activities: various summer camps, volunteering
Essays (rating 1-10, details): Common App (9), USC Supplements (ranged from 7-9)

Teacher Rec #1: Calculus teacher: 10, had her for 2 years, advisor for math club
Teacher Rec #2: N/A
Counselor Rec: 7, generic counselor rec
Additional Rec: N/A

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
Intended Major: Computer Engineering (Viterbi)
State (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: $100k-$150k
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): none

Reflection

Strengths: GPA, AP/ACT scores, course load, strong rec
Weaknesses: nothing unique/special
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Good academics and rec letter, showed my interest in computer science through my essays, consistent extracurriculars throughout high school
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected:

I thought they mailed them out around the last week of March on Tuesday. Cuz I checked the post on the admission page and it was usually Tuesday. I’m a SoCal resident so if I got accepted the package will come around 1-2 days right (I lived 20 minutes from USC)?

^^^It will come the day after they are mailed from USC if you are just twenty minutes away. They even personally deliver a few in socal.

Hey guys! I made a groupme chat for accepted students. Its op;en to anyone with the shareable link right now :slight_smile: https://app.■■■■■■■■■■■/join_group/28455855/mmzqKt

@sb2017 There’s already a Class of 2021 chat! https://■■■■■■■■■■■/join_group/28441935/I43XWC

On Wednesday, I was admitted but there was no information concerning a scholarship, nor was there on Thursday on the portal. I just happened to check the portal today and there was a new document uploaded that notified me I received the Deans Scholarship! I was never emailed so I am quite glad I checked. If anyone was also admitted without scholarship info, check your portal.

Please replace the “[a” below with just “[” before posting.

**Decision: Accepted Presidential Scholarship Finalist **

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2300 (800M, 760CR, 720 WR)
ACT (breakdown): N/A
SAT II: Math 2: 800 & Physics: 750
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0 UW
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): School does not rank
AP (place score in parenthesis): no AP
IB (place score in parenthesis): IB Diploma
IB Spanish SL (7), taking rest this may
Senior Year Course Load:
-IB Math, IB Physics, IB Chemistry, IB English, IB Environmental Science, IB Theory of Knowledge

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): N/A

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
Job/Work Experience:
-Snowboarding Instructor for 4+ years
Volunteer/Community service:
-Board member of math organization
Summer Activities:
-Common App Essay (10/10): My common app essay was the glue for all the elements in my application. Probably one of the best things I’ve ever written.
-Internet Essay (7/10): I thought that this essay was unique though I felt my execution was lacking.
-Why USC? (8/10): Pretty solid essay imo. Perhaps it was slightly drab but I think I managed to convey my interest quite effectively.
-Collaboration (9/10): I wrote about the time my friend and I managed to become the most improved doubles team in JV tennis during sophomore year. It was a pretty random thing to write about but I felt my personality came out in this essay.
-Other Interest (10/10): I wrote about my love for learning languages. I think I really showed what kind of a learner I was in this essay.

Teacher Rec #1: (9/10): history teacher. I did not read it but my teacher told me he wrote a fantastic recommendation
Teacher Rec #2: (7/10): Math teacher. Difficult to say but 7 at the very minimum.
Counselor Rec: (9/10): We are very close and she told me that her recommendation was one of the best counselor recs she has written.
Additional Rec: (9/10): Microsoft employer. Told me his rec was very strong.

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: Computer Science and Computer Engineering
State (if domestic applicant): WA
Country (if international applicant): USA
School Type: Public (560+ students in my grade)
Ethnicity: South Asian
Income Bracket: high enough that need-based aid is unlikely
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): lol nope

Reflection: Above all else, be genuine! When I was applying to schools, I made sure to choose places I felt I’d be a good fit at. Have a good reason for applying to each school in your college list!

Strengths: UW GPA, recs, assembly of overall application, USC supplement
Weaknesses: Indian male in computer science, low SAT writing and SAT Physics, no major awards (Intel, IMO, etc.),
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected:
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Accepted (Georgia Tech for computer science, UIUC for computer science, Purdue-West Lafayette for computer science, Wisconsin-Madison for computer science) Denied: Caltech (applied to computer science)

General Comments: Congrats to everyone who is a finalist! Good luck to everyone for the rest of the admission process

How did you guys submit your mid year grades?

Has any of accepted international students from UAE received the white box or the courier. It has been 1 week I have not received yet

@sunny1110 Check your portal. Your result should be posted there by now. And if you’ve gotten in, it should be on its way.

@curious_ On your https://you.usc.edu/applicant-freshman/ webpage, there is a link “Submit your mid-year grades” where USC wants you to manually input your mid-year grades. Plus, they want your GC to upload your mid-year report/transcript via the Common Application or send such directly to USC Admission.

Signed up for March 8-9th

D got a letter basically saying since she’s a NMSF she just needs to become a NMF and put USC as her first choice to get the 1/2 tuition scholarship and that if she doesn’t become a NMS they’ll give her an extra $1K a year.

@rsmith0208 Yes. Only 3% of all applicants are selected to interview for any scholarship.

did you guys see the portal update on the login?

@whateverdudes

For those of you who are not seeing a status change, please keep in mind that if you are being deferred to a March decision, the portal only changes in one small way…

When you click on “Check you application status”, it then adds one new link to click on…

Current Message: Information about the Scholarship Process Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017

You can then click on the link and see the same letter being emailed to you. Otherwise, the portal looks exactly the same as before.

If you are instead among the 1200 being admitted this month with a scholarship offering, you will see a definitive change in the way it looks even on the first page. It will then reference Admission.

I just wanted to say “thanks” to folks on this thread because my D18 is going to apply to USC next year. The information here will be incredibly useful when we go through the application process, especially the parts dealing with NMSF kids.