USC Class of 2026 — Regular Decision

Receiving an award, getting a leadership role, etc.

2 Likes

Hi! Should my Daughter submit a housing deposit if she was selected to interview for scholarship? Was assuming that she’d automatically get out in McCarthy? Also trying to learn and follow along as best I can - thanks for all insight! Is it safe to assume that most students move off campus after freshman year? How does that work? Where can we search for options for off campus housing now (so we can peer in to what her future might be) Are there a lot of options for housing and what are expected price ranges (is it cheaper than living on campus?) and would students need a car? I’ve also heard the surrounding area off campus is not that great - is this where upper class students would be living? Sorry for all questions but thinking long term logistics. We are east coast so it would be quite the move!

If USC is a contender, and you don’t mind paying the $55, I would put the deposit down.

This year, there are a lot of sophomores living in university housing because they didn’t have the opportunity to live in the dorms last year.

My opinion, but I feel that most sophomores are still looking for some sort of social living experience. Many choose to stay in university housing (apartment style for sophomores). Others choose one of the larger private complexes (ex. Gateway, Lorenzo) or sorority/fraternity houses. Some choose apartments in smaller complexes but I think that is less common for sophomores. CADREAMIN has had more kids go through the process so can share her insight.

When looking at off campus apartments, one should look in the DPS zone - an area that is patrolled by USC security 24/7. Even with the security, when living in a big city, students need to be very aware of their surroundings. This is by no means a comprehensive list but, if you want an idea of housing in the area, you can view some ads for housing here. Several complexes rent by the bed and, compared to my experience with other universities, there seem to be more furnished apartments and private rooms available.

A car is nice but parking is expensive and those with cars often end up being the designated driver for their friends. I would leave the car home freshman year and re-evaluate sophomore year depending on where your student lives, if they have parking available, an off campus job, etc.

There is a grocery store within the DPS zone but I think most kids end up shopping at the Trader Joes and Target.

1 Like

Lots of excitement at USC this week. The Rams victory parade was on the streets surrounding campus. If you watch the first 25 min of this video, you will see USC in the background. Lots of students leaning out of their apartment windows and on the streets cheering. The apartment complexes in the background (Gateway, Tuscany, Icon, etc) are all privately owned student apartments.

2 Likes

I think most sophomores still live on campus with the housing guarantee in place now and the Village being built. But as @lkg4answers mentioned, some will go on to Greek life or just want to be in a less restrictive living environment than dorms. Or they just tire of the dorm food, ha. btw, there are smaller meal plans for those that do live off campus to use the dining halls.

And yes, if at all a contender, put the deposit down and get some priority on room preference at a minimum.

Ya, I watched it to see USC more than the team! Nothing like walking from USC campus to the Coliseum for a football game! Yes, Gateway got some good video exposure.

1 Like

My D got NMF just in mail today. She is scheduled to interview for scholarship next week. Is the scholarship give all 4 years ?

1 Like

Congratulations to your daughter!

Both the NM Presidential and the Trustee scholarships are for 12-18 units for 8 semesters. It is possible for a merit scholarship recipient to request exceptional funding to cover more units/semester and possibly some for education abroad as well. I will hunt for links to that info and update this post if I find them. If scholarship recipients can incorporate a progressive degree program into their 8 semesters (usually those coming in with a lot of AP units), that is covered as well.

You can read more information about the scholarships here. Scholarship Guide | USC Undergraduate Admission

Edit: This video is from last year but might be helpful. Exceptional funding is at the 19:30 min mark Merit Scholars | Academic Honors and Fellowships

1 Like

That is great to know. I will check out the information you shared

1 Like

Hey quick question when you guys click the planning worksheet after clicking the 2022-2023 button. Does it have like a loading bar that says loading financial aid status and then it says like term 9999999 or something. I’m just wondering if this is normal across all portals.

For us it says “Currently unavailable, check back later”. It has been the same since beginning. Try to refresh your page and see or re login and check

Ours has a loading bar that says it’s retrieving financial data (with the term 9999999999) and then after a few seconds it moves to “currently unavailable”
I’m guessing the planning worksheet won’t be accessible until after decisions are released.

Do people have one that just goes straight to planning sheet unavailable with no loading bar or term: 9999999…

Thank you!!!

Did you get notification for an interview??? Our daughter is also NMF, but we received zero communication on an interview, so I assume she is only eligible for the Presidential, IF in fact she gets into the school. We did RD, so we have not heard at this point.

Only those accepted with merit last week get interviews. Some of those were NMFs and would really just be interviewing for the Trustees (since they are guaranteed the Presidential and can’t lose that as an NMF). NMFs that were not admitted last week, if accepted in March, do not interview and receive the 1/2 tuition Presidential.

3 Likes

same for us

same

1 Like

What server are you using? I was on Safari when I received that message, but can access FAST on Chrome. Just fyi

We are on Chrome